Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Re Jeting the carburator. Thoughts??? 30 PICT 1
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re Jeting the carburator. Thoughts??? 30 PICT 1 Reply with quote

I'm running an EMPI 30 pict 1 Round bowl carb on my 1500cc, original distributor, The short version (111-905-205 S). it idles fine, but seams to be lacking power at the high end. I read somewhere that re jeting the carb from 120 to 135 on the main and to 60 from 55 on the idle may improve performance. Any thoughts???

Thanks in advance
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Re Jeting the carburator. Thoughts??? 30 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Is there a reason you are running a 1500 instead of the original 1600? That would take a 34PICT carb.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Re Jeting the carburator. Thoughts??? 30 PICT 1 Reply with quote

One step at a time is usually the best way to go. Keep good records of what you try.

The amount of change you suggest would be about a 30% increase in the amount of fuel.
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Re Jeting the carburator. Thoughts??? 30 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Is there a reason you are running a 1500 instead of the original 1600? That would take a 34PICT carb.

Mine is a '72 it is a 181 but it is not a "Thing", '72 is the last year it came with 1500 cc
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Re Jeting the carburator. Thoughts??? 30 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
One step at a time is usually the best way to go. Keep good records of what you try.

The amount of change you suggest would be about a 30% increase in the amount of fuel.

I plan to change the main first and then the idle.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Re Jeting the carburator. Thoughts??? 30 PICT 1 Reply with quote

FJBLF wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Changing from a 120 to a 135 at one time is going to be too big of a step, unless the engine just dies completely when you step on it. If you were at stoicheometric (14.7 a/f ratio) and made that size of a jump you would likely be at about 10.5 a/r after the jet change which would be too rich. Best to change one jet size at a time. Maybe buy the following jets. 125, 127.5, 130, 132.5, and 135 and work up through them one at a time.
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Jeting the carburator. Thoughts??? 30 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
FJBLF wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Changing from a 120 to a 135 at one time is going to be too big of a step, unless the engine just dies completely when you step on it. If you were at stoicheometric (14.7 a/f ratio) and made that size of a jump you would likely be at about 10.5 a/r after the jet change which would be too rich. Best to change one jet size at a time. Maybe buy the following jets. 125, 127.5, 130, 132.5, and 135 and work up through them one at a time.

Thanks for the input, I'm following the steps of someone who already did it, but I do see your point. If I end too rich I'll step down as you sugest
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Jeting the carburator. Thoughts??? 30 PICT 1 Reply with quote

"Lacking power at the high end" sounds like pretty much every ACVW I've ever driven, especially the brick-shaped ones. Are you sure you don't have a slight vacuum leak somewhere? Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Jeting the carburator. Thoughts??? 30 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
"Lacking power at the high end" sounds like pretty much every ACVW I've ever driven, especially the brick-shaped ones. Are you sure you don't have a slight vacuum leak somewhere? Wink

Adding another 600+ cc's seems to help that problem Laughing
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Jeting the carburator. Thoughts??? 30 PICT 1 Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:

If I have one.... I can't find it.... I've look for it with propane and found nothing....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: