Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Used dual Dellorto 45DRLAs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soul Built
Pimpin' Aint Easy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to score a set of 45 Dells for $200. Now that they are in the hands of Art and his team, I think I will come out smelling like roses.

Any idea what to set the advance to on a 2180 for these carbs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul_VW wrote:
I was able to score a set of 45 Dells for $200. I think I will come out smelling like roses.

You're a stinker! Very Happy What a deal.
28 - 32 degrees is the starting area, every engine has it's own favorite timing, you'll just have to adjust and see what it likes best.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it must be pointed out that IF the engine is too rich it will "want" more timing.

If you have an engine that runs better on 34 degrees instead of 28, try to pull out some fuel and some timing, and try again. Make little changes, 2 degrees at a time.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote]

Bigg Tim wrote:
I don't want to use any vacuum source off the carb. Im asking if I need them at all on the carb since I have one broke off on the other carb. Can I just plug that port?

Those ports don't actually need to be "plugged". Those are the sync ports for a water/mercury type syncrometer. When they are tightened up snug they are closed.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

left_coast*9 wrote:
Well, picked them up last night. I would not call them cherry, but I suppose they're in good shape. All parts seem to be there. I have not had a chance to go in and look at the internals yet.
All the indentifying info is on the diaphram side of the carbs. The motor's left side carb has a small stamped metal tag on it that says "R6217". Then to the left of that stamped in the casing of the carb body says: "Dellorto Made in Italy". To the right of the tag also stamped in the casing: "DRLA 45S". The other carb's little metal tag says "R6218". It has the same "Dellorto Made in Italy" stamp. On the right of the tag is stamped: "DRLA 45D".
The air cleaners seem to be in real nice shape, as do the filters. How'd I do? Here's some pics:

Just sold my rebuilt 45 dells this afternoon and the person I sold them to inquired about the fact that one is stamped DRLA 45D & the other DRLA 45S. Am I correct in saying that this means one is right handed and the other is left handed as would be expected for a matched set for dual carb application? I ran them briefly on a 2332 and never noticed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italian for Left and Right...

sinistra = Left

destra = Right
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxracer wrote:

Bigg Tim wrote:
I don't want to use any vacuum source off the carb. Im asking if I need them at all on the carb since I have one broke off on the other carb. Can I just plug that port?

Those ports don't actually need to be "plugged". Those are the sync ports for a water/mercury type syncrometer. When they are tightened up snug they are closed.[/quote]

I have a 40 drla with pressure union ports open like the original poster's carbs pictured... (without the bleeder screw style plugs.)

Would I be best to plug those ports with allen head screws for proper operation?

Thanks!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Used dual Dellorto 45DRLAs Reply with quote

What and where is this ACE?
Who is this Art fellow?
Care to share a link?
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Used dual Dellorto 45DRLAs Reply with quote

Try blackline racing

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Used dual Dellorto 45DRLAs Reply with quote

Also I can handle any of your dellorto repairs and or any questions you might have.

Rick.

[email protected]

Also check out my feedback on the samba
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: