Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door closure effort with new seals
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jseehorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Door closure effort with new seals Reply with quote

I just installed new front door seals on my 83 vanagon. I have not glued them in yet, just doing a preliminary fit. The doors take a lot of effort to close now. I have to slam them alarmingly hard to get them to latch. I have adjusted the doors to the most outboard position and that helped some, but not enough. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Will the seals compress over time and take a set? The seals are from Gowesty and seemed to fit OK.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Door closure effort with new seals Reply with quote

Baby powder seems to help..maybe try it out on the seals.?
Eurowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Door closure effort with new seals Reply with quote

New seals are always tight at first, they will wear in over the next few months
jseehorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Door closure effort with new seals Reply with quote

Update: It's been a couple of days now and is improving.
jseehorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Door closure effort with new seals Reply with quote

Update: It's been Nine months now and after some initial improvement the doors are still harder to shut than I like. I think the new seals are not as soft as the originals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: