Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fix Swing Axle with redux boxes, or swap to IRS?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BajaTX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Fix Swing Axle with redux boxes, or swap to IRS? Reply with quote

I finally got to the location where my new to me '64 Baja is. It has a bus transaxle with reduction boxes(small nut). One of the swing axles pulled out of the trans. I was able to pull the axle tube and redux box. Then I pulled the retainer ring and axle. The thrust washer is in a million pieces. I've got fine silver in all the trans lube. I could clean everything out and put it back together. But I am noticing some other issues with this transaxle. It has the Johnson style no-hop braces. There are some broken welds on the axle tubes where they meet the redux boxes. Brakes on one side are soaked in axle lube. Lots of poorly done work on this Baja. I really just need to get it moving. The engine is in good shape, and everything else is in working order.

Should I clean up this rear and fix the welds, or should I swap to something else. If I switch to IRS CV axle, can I use any of these brake parts? Where can I get a complete used rear.
BajaTX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix Swing Axle with redux boxes, or swap to IRS? Reply with quote

Also would like to keep my wide 5 wheels.
BajaTX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix Swing Axle with redux boxes, or swap to IRS? Reply with quote

Axle tube has been bolted and welded to redux box.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BajaTX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix Swing Axle with redux boxes, or swap to IRS? Reply with quote

More info.

I am working on a '64 Baja that has RGBs and small nut axles. It also has a no-hop kit that looks very similar to the Johnson kit. Unfortunately, this transaxle has seen better days. Someone welded the RGBs to the axle tubes and installed bolts in place of the press pins. The welds are broken and the RGBs have some other issues. The reason I started working on all this is because one of the thrust washers broke and the Baja became non-operational as a result. Lots of "silver" in the trans lube I just drained.

I have some other RGBs with axle tubes that are in good shape. I have all of the seals and small parts to put the transaxle and RGBs back together. I don't have the tools or shop to completely rebuild everything. I just need to get this Baja back in action for now.

I don't have a press, but I do have a welder and good fab skills. I am considering cutting the flanges off the transaxle end of the axle tubes so I can install the no hop over tubes. I would use a jig to weld the axle tubes back together. What are your thoughts regarding cutting and welding the tubes instead of pressing them out of the RGBs? How do I determine how much of the RGB flange to remove at the spring plate end? I am thinking I can just cut around the RGB flange without pressing the tube out. I realize this is not the "best" way to do this, but I have to work with the tools and parts I have available to me at this location.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
Tom
Bad_Decisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix Swing Axle with redux boxes, or swap to IRS? Reply with quote

I don’t know nearly as much as other people on this site, but I don’t see anyone chiming in so I’ll just give my opinion. From what I’ve read on the forum irs is far better than the swing axle for off road. The swing, i’ve Heard,likes to roll over in hard turns. But I haven’t noticed that in my sand rail which has a swing axle. If it were me and I had the resources I would convert to irs.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix Swing Axle with redux boxes, or swap to IRS? Reply with quote

I don't have any practical experience to share. Redux is cool for a buggy with a smaller engine. The bigger engines seem to favor IRS
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fix Swing Axle with redux boxes, or swap to IRS? Reply with quote

How are the Redux boxes mounted? They boxes are set wider than standard swing axle mounts.

This may not be an issue with IRS.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix Swing Axle with redux boxes, or swap to IRS? Reply with quote

my swing axle bus trans RGB buggy wagged it's tail, jacked up the rear in turns, and eventually rolled. you raise the center of gravity on a back engine car, that happens.

An IRS gives you the 002 or 091 transaxle option but you may have to dent your framehorns to make the CVs fit.

the third option would be to cut out the torsion housing and put an IRS torsion housing in. this route presents minimal fabrication and alignment hassles

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
flashho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix Swing Axle with redux boxes, or swap to IRS? Reply with quote

I have an old funco with RGBs which I race regularly, and win ! lol
I would and will someday, convert to IRS when my budget allows. I will swap out the torsion tube and everything behind it. I run 33s for long courses and 30s for short courses with a 2276 engine and the trans has a super diff. The RGBs present problems in the whoops or if you hit a bump with the rear end compressed, by hitting the brakes or lifting on the gas. The rear end becomes a pogo stick in those conditions and nose dives can happen. It is no fun being a lawn dart. I have 14 inch of frt travel and only 7 in the rear. Plus side.. it will climb anything, it can maneuver thru technical areas easily and it cruises thru sand and silt. It took me a long while to learn to control the rear, for example, if you are sliding out in a turn, lifting briefly will put weight and traction to the rear, if you are pushing in a turn, more throttle will hook up the front. So, if you can convert to IRS, budget wise, go for it. If not, you can have a blast with the RGB set up. There is a long thread on replacing RGB bearings ( a real PIA) with pics of various set ups, that may help with your tube problem.
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix Swing Axle with redux boxes, or swap to IRS? Reply with quote

Use this opportunity to convert to IRS.

Welding in pivots allows you to set proper camber when raising the rear end and installing a bus trans.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: