Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

I used the last of some old JBWeld to glue the top two broken pieces of the bolt ear together (see photo) the other day. They had plenty of time to cure because of the rain. I bought some fresh JBW today while I was out paying phone bill, buying a new lithium memory battery for the camera, and filling the truck. I got out when I saw sunlight to set them on the caliper to glue them on it. I've had it bolted on like that for years and it's fine until panic stop. People seem to love to pull out right in front of this Bus, like they can't see it.

Perching it on the wheel with the line still attached, I was moving it to just the right spot to be accessible and steady. They toppled off 6" through the center of the wheel to the pavement. I lifted the whole mess to pick them up - in two pieces again!!!

So I set them on top of the caliper and gobbed it on there while fighting to keep the cat and mosquitos away. Ron's Import said I couldn't use it as a core with it broken so it's an expensive fix if it works. I'll put another thin layer on top later. All just in time for more rain. Mad

ETA: thankfully I'm on high ground.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
melville wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
No. Get a new one. This is a very bad idea.

This is a joke, right? No sane person would use JBWeld for brake repair.

X3! Dear God Please Don't Do This!

Considering I drove it daily for years and thousands of miles with the bottom bolt holding it all together with no problems, you could say my sanity cherry got popped long ago. I've learned how to avoid sudden-stop situations.

The clutch disc grenaded two miles and one traffic light from home and a buddy was pulling me with a chain, downhill, too fast and tailgating the guy in front of him. Of course the speed-triggered light (with camera) changed on us. Without vacuum boost, I (we) "persuaded" him not to run the light. I replaced the clutch, bolted the caliper back the way it was, and rambled on.
I have a wicked fast right foot and the left ain't too shabby.
My "radar" is better than average after driving taxis for years. I usually brake before the person in front of me does. I worry more about these tires that have sat for over 8 years. The front ones sure lost a few layers that day.

ETA: Rusty seized pads cleaned, caliper bolted up solid. I WILL test it coming down off this hill on our victory break-in run, soon I hope. Rotated the rebuilt tranny through all the gears.

Still waiting on roofers to show after waiting through a solid week of rain.

Men can justify doing anything with two magic words...(you know;)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Evidently when I did a final cleaning on the case yesterday and left the halves sitting outside in the sun to dry, the #3 main bearing dowel pin fell out of the case. Into the land of "ain't no way." And the roofers showed up in the meantime, a week and a half late.
What are the odds of locating another one? ETA: Bus depot has a few other things I need too.

Today I bolted the starter up and safety-wired the shifter coupling. And relocated a few spiders. Later I was going for the money setting the crank when I noticed #3 wouldn't lock.

I got a message from my sister that she had scattered the last of Mom's ashes at the original Calabash, NC restaurant. It's been 5 months now.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Bus Depot is going to mail me a dowel pin. My project is at a halt without it.
I did set the ring gaps today and now have the P&L's loaded ready to go on when it arrives.
I still can't believe that pin fell out after everything that case has been through in the last 8 years.
Since I will be using one of the 30mm T4S pumps, I'm tempted to order one of their PRV valve pistons. The spring I have measures 61mm. I always used the fingers on dipstick temperature gauge method. I'll break it in with what I have.
The Mark Stephens version of this motor came 20 years ago with a video showing them breaking it in. I loaned it to someone, never got it back. I don't even have a VHS player now anyway.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

The dowel pin arrived today so I'm back in business. I had an extra pair of friendly hands drop by the other day. Probably somebody's pet got dropped off.

My last helper was a stray Chow 6 years ago that loved to steal my shop rag and play keep-away, plus chewing up everything in sight. I don't like Chows, too many have bad wiring.
Unfortunately he tried to kill our little dog, and terrorized the neighbors, so I took him hunting with my M-15.
One-and-done, I haven't shot her since. After a thousand practice rounds, she patiently waits.

I've ordered 40mm oil pump studs from John@ACN.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Crankcase sealed up. Been sweating this for too long.
I've done everything else at least once this century.
Thanks for all the help guys!

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Got her buttoned up after 2 days of honest work. Oil pump felt pretty tight going in, JBWelded all the remaining factory oil plugs.
Curil T is much easier to work with than Indian Head, which is what I've used previously, and on the main case bolts this time. I can almost smell them cooking already.
Final head torque and valvetrain next. Thanks for all the help Sambanistas!

The AA pistons worked out well enough, I didn't get a deck height photo, but it's over 0.045" using the unbolted feeler gauge method. With no steps on the heads it should work out pretty well.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

These HAM heads have ~15K miles on them, and he cut the steps out when resurfacing them for this build 8 years ago.
I was installing pushrod tubes remembering the different methods I've tried over the years to secure and seal them, including the wire, which rubbed a notch on one of the pushrods.
What I settled on this time is to center them in the bores, after putting the ones I had dimpled in the past to clear exhaust pipes in the appropriate spots. I cleaned the bores here inside the heads and put a smear of Indian Head around the lower edges of the tubes. That should hold them in place while allowing oil to drain back down.
I mentioned earlier that Mark Stephens shipped this engine with clear silicone caulk around the case ends to seal out dust. I'll try a layer of grease on the tubes there to keep the caulk from sticking to them, allowing the case ends to move as needed.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Finally buttoned up. That front crank seal has been on the crank wrapped up while the grease hardened, which started this thread.
If anything leaks it will be that, and leaks killed it the last round. We'll see.
Regards all, have a safe weekend!

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

I installed the rear main seal and torqued the flywheel down the other day. I was cleaning the pressure plate today and noticed I didn't mark the flywheel where the balance holes were drilled. Bentley says to put the holes on the pressure plate opposite the holes on the flywheel.
I took the flywheel back off to mark it today and noticed the O-ring was pinched. More like smeared, no wonder it took forever to torque down. Luckily I had a spare from the gasket set I got when doing the top end last time. This one went on a lot smoother.

I replaced the two worn-out motor mounts yesterday.
I had also over-torqued the fan hub bolt (M8x30 SAE 1022) using it to turn the crank over with tight bearings. That one is difficult to find, so far VW Heritage England is the only one I see listing it.
I have an order in with Bus Depot for new rubber fuel filler pipe stuff while it's accessible, hopefully they can locate one. Apparently they closed this week for the holiday.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

It turns out I ordered 3 of those self-locking fan hub bolts in April so I have 2 spares now. Very Happy I was preparing to email Heritage when I noticed them on my previous order.
Thankfully it didn't strip the crank threads.

Months ago I had dropped one of the 3 plain M8x30 fan bolts on the passenger side footwell and it bounced off into the dirt and leaves. I recently found the washer still on the footwell but no bolt in sight. My FLAPS has the bolt I need.
Bus Depot shipped my filler pipe stuff today.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Well I solved one time riddle but I'm left with another.
The three m8x45 bolts in my box are the ones that hold the fan on.
Now I have three m8X30's and I'm still wondering exactly which bolt I lost.
While I was typing that, the brackets for the heater control boxes popped into my head. Hurdy Derp.
At least I was pretty good at grouping stuff together when I took it apart nearly 9 years ago now.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Installed new fuel filler pipe, 13" rubber from tank to metal line, and rubber elbow at the inlet. Good quality stuff made in Denmark.
Installed new neoprene weatherstrip along bottom edge of firewall access panel, and copper-coated the ends where the screws attach. Nice tight fit and well grounded.
Cleaned and copper-coated the voltage reg. and fuel relay mounts on the panel, and ground straps and connections.
Waiting on decent weather and someone to help carry the engine up and out. Everyone was gone on vacation last week. Schoon baby.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Hooked up battery to see if it held a charge after sitting dry in the closet.
Another month will be nine years she's been parked. I hope the fuel pump still runs. Stereo still works. Very Happy
Got my brother to help carry motor up 3 flights of stairs and across front yard.
Feels like about 150 lbs. or so. I did a Rocky Balboa when we put her down.
Too many skeeters tonight, I'll bolt the clutch on and stab her in the morning.
Thanks again guys for the advice and inspiration.
BTW that trailer hitch is welded to a 2" pipe that's welded to the brackets. Stout.

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Three flights of stairs. ? You live in an abanded mine , or missle silo?
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

It was in the basement of the house to the right, plus a flight up to the driveway and the last to the front yard center.
Then up the road to where the Orange Bus is, level with the roof of the house.
This morning I weighed the pressure plate bolts and put the 2 light ones 90° from the balance holes on the flywheel and PP just for shits and giggles. Got her scooted underneath, ready to drop the rear end down a notch or 2 and jack her up.
Of course I dialed in the radio stations and warmed up the speakers and load checked the Interstate battery while I worked until 0300, under the Moon and Mars show. There are 3 meteor showers going on but there's a bright street light close by.

Being the highest spot on the hill, it is 250' down in any direction.
Hillbilly that is, set a spell, take your shoes off...

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Bolted on oil cooler, fan housing, fan, alternator w/ new rubber air duct.
Attached top sheet metal on top of lower intake studs, pulled it back off and redid.
Bolts are gone, so I guess it's nuts and screws to go.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Filled it with BradPenn 30w last week just before the storms, have turned her over by hand a few rounds. I filled the filter but not the oil cooler.

Traded the ~15 yo Interstate battery, an MT-35. Refilled it with distilled water, charged it, failed load test. They're $133 now!?! $130 cash.

Checked p/a on new fuel pump if this one doesn't run after sitting 9 years. It is an ACDelco EP12S, #6472381, 3/8" lines. It is arotary with relief, mounted where the stock FI pump was on the lower frame, fits the factory mount and bracket. Less than $50 and never let me down with a Weber progessive carb. Highly Recommend.

Wired up the alternator and fuel pump relay.

Bolted up the 1/2 heater box after coating the flanges, bolts and wells with copper paste. First time using it, thanks Len. Single nuts for the moment.
3/4 side is a box I picked up at a show, someone had tack-welded the flanges back on, needs to be retacked, they were broken from holding up the heavy T3 muffler that was on it. New T-bird header is replacing that. Picked up 6 new flange bolts and nuts.

Turned her over twice testing the starter. The oil pressure switch wire is still off, plugs are still loose. Forgot I still had tape over the intake ports, I jumped a little when they popped. She turns over smooth. Very Happy

Storm was moving in, called it a productive day. Been having Bus dreams lately. Orange Bus
WWG1WGA!

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Checked out electrical functions, everything still works, even the fuel pump.

Ordered from Bus Depot and installed a new left side heater box ($340) with old riser pipe, a German driver's door seal ($90), and radio antenna with chrome base ($20). The 20-yo Brazilian door seal was never water- or air-tight. This seal fits perfectly and has the proper corner molding. We received a pretty good rain shower, no leaks!!!

Old oil pressure switch was shot, probably metal from the cam gear.
I had to overfill the case to prime the oil pump. Emptied the oil filter to take some, oil cooler was still empty. Bought a battery charger after cranking motor several times with plugs out to fill them. No drips in sight!!! I'll drain the surplus back out before starting.

Bolted up new Tbird header, need new right side heater box, which is bent from previous muffler. Flanges miss by over 1/2", core probably cracked.
At least she will now look as pretty on the outside as inside. May be slight clearance issues at the bumper.

Cleaned out progressive carb and intakes. Installed with new boots and gaskets. Loose fit perimeter sheet metal.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dressed crank-NOW 1.8L BUILD THREAD Reply with quote

Ordered right side heater box, battery clamp, and left heat riser tube seal from Bus Depot.

While waiting, decided to drag Ghia 74x90.5 motor out and start on it.
Renewed the ad and quickly got a text with offer to buy car and all.
Some criticism about cam choice of Engle VZ-25 but with stock valve heads I think it would live a while.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: