Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil fill
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubba119
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Oil fill Reply with quote

What are you guys/girls using for a funnel to fill your oil? Ive tried a few, and they all are a pain in the ass, the fill neck is in a tough spot, and i have to only put small amounts in at a time, or else it over flows or spills out. I’m guessing the answer is have patience and go slow and steady.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

what year and where is your filler?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

I find it easier to use no funnel at all, pouring single quarts in at a normal, steady pace.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]

Last edited by SamboSamba22 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

Turn your oil bottle (Valvoline VR-1? Perfect!) on its side for pouring. Comes out much smoother. You do not need a funnel.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

Turn your oil bottle (Valvoline VR-1? Perfect!) on its side for pouring. Comes out much smoother. You do not need a funnel.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

Doesnt vwuguy have a video in this? Lol watch that, and you'll have one less thing to try lol
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Doesnt vwuguy have a video in this? Lol watch that, and you'll have one less thing to try lol

He would probably do it with the engine running, get it all over the belt and splatter it everywhere and then drive off and run over the cap that he forgot to put back on. All on one concise 35 minute video.

To the original poster, lay the bottle on its side with the spout a bit upward and then roll the spout downward to start the pour. If you have a Type 1 engine, you can get an angled oil filler/breather which will help a bit with the oil fill but may not breath all that well if your blowby is excessive.
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

On my 1973, Type 4 motor, any kind of funnel that fits and flow can work. Don't really even need one. On my 1969, with the stock single port 1600, stock air cleaner, I found that I could make a perfect funnel out of an empty 1 quart oil bottle. The bottle fits perfectly with the spout in the oil fill port and the base of the bottle sits on the air horn of the stock oil bath air cleaner. If you cut away the side and the top of the empty bottle, it will make a funnel that allows you to pour into the funnel quite easily. Carve and cut to suit yourself, it's not critical. I am sorry I can't post a picture, but I hope my description makes sense. I made one of these several decades ago, and keep it in a ziplock bag in the spare parts box I always carry with me. I throw a couple of shop rags in the ziplock with the funnel to soak up the droolings. If I hadn't made this and was so proud of myself for figuring this out, I would have done like everyone else and turned the bottle on it's side. I wasn't smart enough to figure that out!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

This is what I have made up for my Vanagon engine. Just the side cut from an oil or antifreeze jug. I like it over a funnel as it opens flat and is thus easy to clean.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

Buy your oil in cans and use the technology the filler was designed for. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
...I found that I could make a perfect funnel out of an empty 1 quart oil bottle. ... If you cut away the side and the top of the empty bottle, it will make a funnel that allows you to pour into the [filler neck] quite easily.

I've used exactly this for the last 30 years... Same one, too. Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

The Scottish frugal version...

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

If you haven’t ever punched a metal spigot into the top of a cardboard sided can of oil, you are a NooB to life...

Rest of post postponed for nap
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

I use those spouts for the kids HI-C fruit punch. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

If you can find one, this oil can works great - especially since I buy oil in a big container.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bubba119
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, I’m going to try the old oil bottle trick. I have tried the sideways pour but still slow and messy... but this forum is great, thanks to all who posted a solution.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

I had almost forgotten about those. When was that? About 20 years ago? I remember not being able to afford one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Buy your oil in cans and use the technology the filler was designed for. Razz

Whoa. Never seen that. It makes perfect sense though. I always wondered why it was so hard to get to.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil fill Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

I have one of those for the '59. A guy I bought some parts from threw it in the box as i was leaving and said he found it handy.

I like the challenge of a steady pour with no spills, so its in the spare parts cabinet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: