Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

should the spring return my brake pedal alone?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

with my brake lines Disconected,and No fluid in master cylinder.should my brake pedal return on its own with just the old worn spring on the pedal assembly?.it does but not really.or will it return (the brake pedal) better once the lines are hooked up and fluids in the system?.just wondering if my pedal assembly spring is to worn out?.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

The pedal should return on its own with just the spring. My pedal assembly was very stiff and I removed the cluster and disassembled it. The brake pedal barely moved before and after cleaning and greasing moves very nicely.

I would suggest taking it apart and cleaning. My spring is still fine, it was the resistance that made me think the spring was "tired" too.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

Early pedal assemblies had grease fitting to prevent drying of grease and to keep it free, somewhere along the way the grease fitting got removed (in manufacture) and just the grease used at factory installation was all that is there... Cleaning and a little grease may fix problem... Yes the spring can get tired, but unless its dead (not likely) if should return pedal...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

thanks guys,i will take it apart clean and grease it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

if your brake pedal return spring is very rusty, it is ripe to break, so consider getting one of these . . . http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113721163A
andk5591 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

Before you tear into it, do some research on how to reinstall and how to set the pedal stop. Also dig into removing the pin that holds the clutch pedal on. Make notes and take pics so you put it together right. I had put the brake spring on wrong 2 different times.

Using zip ties to hold the clutch cable on when reinstalling is helpful.

AND good time to clean up the slot that the gas pedal stop rides in. And replace the gas pedal spring if needed.

There are pedal assy refurb procedures on here and on Glenn's site.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

yes thanks guys i did order a new spring for 5 dollars. i broke mine after taking everything apart and putting it all back together a half dozen times.my spring was shot...i did learn how alot tho.lol.my throttle pedal only had about a third of travel it was so filthy..
andk5591 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

If you have adjusted the pedal angle, make sure you have enough brake pedal free play.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

andk5591 will do,thanks...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

guys i cant get the clutch pedal off the shaft.any ideas?.its a 1962 pedal assembly.i took the roll pin out.i have put it in a vice.beat it with a mini sledge.i heated it (the pedal)around the shaft with a torch.beat it some more.i busted out my air chisel and tried that after heating it.i cant get the damn clutch pedal off of the shaft!!..i need to change the brake spring.i been at it for 2 days!!..any ideas?.it wont budge!!.i thought the air chisel and torch would do it.wtf
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
... i cant get the clutch pedal off the shaft ...

You pull'd the pin out first, right?
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

yes i knocked the roll pin out.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

according to the videos i even watched it should come right off..
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: should the spring return my brake pedal alone? Reply with quote

i also soaked it in penetrating oil for almost a week prior to taking it apart.attempting to anyways.torched it,sledged it,torched it some more,sledged it for 2 days.busted out the air chisel today my last resort heated it and spent an hour trying to air chisel it off the cross shaft.no go.and its not in bad shape for it to be so stuck.the roll pin is out and i even removed the c clip even tho that just holds the brake pedal on the other outer shaft.(just in case).i am running out of ideas other than a relief cut across the pedal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: