Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how hard is it to get body parts
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: how hard is it to get body parts Reply with quote

hi. considering purchasing a 70 fastback. just completed restoring a 69 beetle and want a new project. i have never done a fastback. the one i have the opportunity to purchase has 3 problem areas. drivers heater channel is rotten. i can replace that with new no problem. both driver side and passenger side front fenders have rusted thru in the area of the brake reservoir by the upper door hinge. how hard is it to get replacement fenders for these cars or do i have to expect to cut out the problem rust and fab new pieces and weld in?
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: how hard is it to get body parts Reply with quote

here are some pics of the problem areas
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: how hard is it to get body parts Reply with quote

WOW, you guys have snow this time of year? Shocked
You might want to pull the fenders and look at the boxed sections of the inner fender before you get too far.
For the most part you're looking at good used (contact both Mike Fisher and Joel Mitchell (aka Boo-Koo-Z)) for sheetmetal, as they're kind of in your area, and might have it in stock. Or you're looking at patch panels. Type 3 Konny on German e-bay has some made for our cars and does sell them.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is it to get body parts Reply with quote

I have a solid pair of late model front fenders with only I dent up front for $450 shipped to Seattle or Spokane by Greyhound? I will get some pics posted of them.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is it to get body parts Reply with quote

We also have some original patch panels at ISP West. If you need some for the upper & lower fenders they run about $75 a piece. They're much easier to ship than complete fenders but we have those as well if need be.

[email protected]

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how hard is it to get body parts Reply with quote

Another option too, I have a set of fenders I can either cut up, or as well ship up to you or to Seattle. See, many options here.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: