Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Choose my Manx color!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What color Manx body?
Brilliant Royal Blue
57%
 57%  [ 20 ]
Dragon Red
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Top Tomato
28%
 28%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 35

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Looks like blue is the frontrunner, followed by the surprise orange. Red seems to be out of favor on here...too many reds floating around?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Letterman7 wrote:
oprn wrote:
Unfortunately there is no such thing as yellow or orange metal flake and gold is just a tad pretentious...

Wink

Sure there is, you just know where to look. Here's my old SR - 3 color metalflake, custom mixed and sprayed by me. Colors used are Apricot, Silver and Bright Red. The silver was added for when I color sanded, anything I cut into would still blend. Top coated with 3 coats of clear. Black base. Bruce Meyers said it was the best SR he'd seen.

Looks red from here, maybe a burnt orange. Get us a shot of the sunny side please, that may be a whole different color.

Many years ago by Boss tried to get a yellow metal flake job for a customer by spraying gold flake over a yellow base coat on a 29 Chrysler street rod. Looked horrible to me but the customer loved it.

I like to use a metallic base coat in a color similar or a wee bit darker than the flake I use. It adds a lot of depth to the paint. Black does that to some degree too but it takes a lot more flake and color coat to get good coverage and build the color you want with a black base coat.

Sure, no problem. I just remembered that I had mixed a couple drops of Mandarin orange and Blood red tint into the first couple coats of clear, just to give it a deeper look.

And the man himself, signing the dash:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Yes that is definitely orange, a darker orange and it looks good! I like it.
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

The Royal Blue Metalflake is very showy/pretty (if that's the look you are going for); the Top Tomato color appears to be better suited for a retro look.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Placed my order today! Thanks everyone for weighing in. After discussing with the family (samba and otherwise), we went with the Top Tomato!

Particular thanks to you Oprn and Garry:

oprn wrote:
For me the brighter the better. You will be pretty vulnerable out there in the traffic so you want to be SEEN!

Definitely want to be seen with the kids occasionally riding in it, and whats better than looking like a traffic cone.

Gary0302 wrote:
The Royal Blue Metalflake is very showy/pretty (if that's the look you are going for); the Top Tomato color appears to be better suited for a retro look.

I love them both too but I am thinking of going the way of a retro build and not so much a show car.

Anyway, big thanks to everyone! Stay tuned for the build thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Look what's on the truck!

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

And now the REAL fun starts!

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Sweet!

We just brought a car home for my wife. Another high visibility color! Much needed as she will be stopped at the side of the road all day stuffing mail boxes for a living.

I have seen pictures of Buggies in this color too!

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Thought I would update this thread. I am pretty close to having it on the road. Just need wiring and a couple other small things!

Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Looks fantastic!
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Cammie wrote:
Looks fantastic!

Thanks!! Too bad winter came along, might slow things down a bit!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

You work fast! Looks super, more details please!
OOPS1215
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Looks great! What size tries are running in the back?
Thank you !
Brian
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Did some more work on the buggy this week! Got the new wheels and tires on. I went with widened 5 lug stock VW smoothies, 15x6 in the front and 15x8 in the rear. The tires are Mickey Thompson Mini Mags on the front and Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ 31" rears.

OOPS1215 wrote:
Thank you !
Brian

The old tires on the photo above are 205/70R15 in the front and 235/75R15 in the rear. 15" x 6" fronts and 15" x 8" rears.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Keeping both sets? One for street and one for trail?
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Keeping both sets? One for street and one for trail?

You know, I'm not sure yet. Might sell the old ones but I want to see how I like the new ones on the street before I do.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Had a set of stock bug tail light housings and a '66 license plate light chromed and got them installed this week. Makes the rear end look so good!

Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Excellent, Caleb. 'Love the classic look.

Jim
Manx #2614
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
Excellent, Caleb. 'Love the classic look.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I appreciate it!
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
Did some more work on the buggy this week! Got the new wheels and tires on. I went with widened 5 lug stock VW smoothies, 15x6 in the front and 15x8 in the rear. The tires are Mickey Thompson Mini Mags on the front and Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ 31" rears.

OOPS1215 wrote:
Thank you !
Brian

The old tires on the photo above are 205/70R15 in the front and 235/75R15 in the rear. 15" x 6" fronts and 15" x 8" rears.

Looks great....is there a reason you skipped the rubber strip under the windshield?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: