Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Collecting parts for a 2332
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

[quote="fivelugshortaxle"][quote="Bad bug"]
fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Yes, running all of the tins and flaps. Stainless steel sidewinder 1 5?8 from AA. The exhaust fit was perfect and I don't have to take off the muffler to get to the 1 and 2 side valve cover like some do. Motor is running very well and very cool. Head temps get up to 250 very quickly and level off. I haven't really flogged the motor yet. I still have Amsoil break in oil in it to seat the rings. I'll be home this week and will be taking it on a quick little run to seat the rings, dump the break in oil and put in Amsoil Z rod 10 30....then I'll open it up some and see what it does

I bought the 65 - 70 degree thermostat bellows for my engine. I can't wait to start the buildup. Who did you purchase your exhaust from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Good work finally getting it going.

Now quit babying it around and get after it to seat the rings. Sooner the better. After my cam break-in and initial timing/carb sync, I hit the closest long hill. Mine is 3 miles away. Full bore to the top, whip around and let it compression brake on the way down, flooring it once in a while. Then whip around at the bottom and head back up. My hill is about 2 miles long, pretty steep. I usually do this 3-4 times depending on traffic and outside temps. It needs to get good and hot. I have never had a problem seating the rings with this procedure, and I rarely have a any form of excess crankcase pressure.

Brian

Actually just did that on one of the back country roads near my house.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

[quote="Bad bug"][quote="fivelugshortaxle"]
Bad bug wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Yes, running all of the tins and flaps. Stainless steel sidewinder 1 5?8 from AA. The exhaust fit was perfect and I don't have to take off the muffler to get to the 1 and 2 side valve cover like some do. Motor is running very well and very cool. Head temps get up to 250 very quickly and level off. I haven't really flogged the motor yet. I still have Amsoil break in oil in it to seat the rings. I'll be home this week and will be taking it on a quick little run to seat the rings, dump the break in oil and put in Amsoil Z rod 10 30....then I'll open it up some and see what it does

I bought the 65 - 70 degree thermostat bellows for my engine. I can't wait to start the buildup. Who did you purchase your exhaust from.

AA
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

jason wrote:
180 to get the condensation out. There are many things that could effect it. This part is speculative from me but the older cars dont have a vacuum pump. Do you know what happens to water in a vacuum?

You need to change your oil if you have 93000 miles on it. Very Happy

Warmer day today. 80
Took it on a longer run and temps hit 180....fan turned on. Oil got to almost 190 before the fan took effect. It's running fine.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
should already of had the 3rd oil&filter in it....if it were mine. & I like 170 degrees.

Hahaha...I'm out of town. Working a contract in California. I've only had a little bit of time to work on it the couple of times I've come home. In town now because I have my inprocessing for my new full time job here in Oregon tomorrow morning. Still have the 2nd oil change of break in oil in it because I've only driven it about 30 miles or so. Just took it out and flogged it a bit to seat the rings. Oil hit 180 and the fan turned on and kept it under 190. Head temps hit the 290's. I'm extremely happy with the motor. Looking forward to getting my magnaspark back from cb...that thing is smooth when it works.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:

Now quit babying it around and get after it to seat the rings. Sooner the better. After my cam break-in and initial timing/carb sync, I hit the closest long hill. Mine is 3 miles away. Full bore to the top, whip around and let it compression brake on the way down, flooring it once in a while. Then whip around at the bottom and head back up. My hill is about 2 miles long, pretty steep. I usually do this 3-4 times depending on traffic and outside temps. It needs to get good and hot. I have never had a problem seating the rings with this procedure, and I rarely have a any form of excess crankcase pressure.

Brian

This thing has grunt...pulls hard in 4th up hills.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Chased a ticking noise that went away when #2 spark plug was pulled. You'll never guess what all I did and looked for. Exhaust leak. On a positive note, rod bearing look great. Chambers show good mixture. Thorsten Pieper took steel lifters and SLR cam look awesome. Cam still looks new out of the box. Anyway, used shitty exhaust gaskets that I'll never use again. Put copper on it now.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Brian_e wrote:

Brian

All that grunt is not just the cam, the heads are also a large part of it. Also who says 48mm carbs can’t have a strong low end.

Dan
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Chased a ticking noise that went away when #2 spark plug was pulled. You'll never guess what all I did and looked for. Exhaust leak. On a positive note, rod bearing look great. Chambers show good mixture. Thorsten Pieper took steel lifters and SLR cam look awesome. Cam still looks new out of the box. Anyway, used shitty exhaust gaskets that I'll never use again. Put copper on it now.

Wait.
Am I reading this right?

You took apart a good running engine just to see if everything was wearing in correctly?

Dude I understand that you have time on your hands with your work schedule.
But, why not just build a solid engine ( and you have done that) and just drive the car for a while?

I don't get this line of thinking. But hey it's a hobby, right?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:

Wait.
Am I reading this right?

You took apart a good running engine just to see if everything was wearing in correctly?

But, why not just build a solid engine ( and you have done that) and just drive the car for a while?

I think hes saying he had a ticking noise, thought it was something internal so he pulled the engine out and complete teardown by mistake cause it was just a exhaust leak.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:

Wait.
Am I reading this right?

No, you're not reading it right. I certainly didn't take the motor apart...just a cylinder head taken off to get to a wrist pin and rod. When I did that I could see signs that everything was fine. I freaked, never heard an exhaust leak like that. I also took the rocker assembly on that side off and double check it. Checked rocker arm cups...pushrods. Sounded metallic...but hey, I'm getting older and the ears aren't what they used to be. Motor is already back together....simply cleaned mating surfaces of both cylinders and resealed with fresh sealant. Torqued head down and the rest is history. Still a good running motor....only now it has copper exhaust gaskets and no exhaust leak ....and not those two metal sided gaskets that AA sent with the sidewinder.
I was basically poking fun at myself for freaking when there was no need.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:

Wait.
Am I reading this right?

I think hes saying he had a ticking noise, thought it was something internal so he pulled the engine out and complete teardown by mistake cause it was just a exhaust leak.

Exactly what I was saying except it wasnt a complete teardown...just a cylinder head an rod check.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs

Last edited by fivelugshortaxle on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Brian_e wrote:

Brian

All that grunt is not just the cam, the heads are also a large part of it. Also who says 48mm carbs can’t have a strong low end.

Dan

Yep ..smaller valves than the super pros...less port volume, more speed. Better for low rpm power and matches the cam.These 48' have smaller ventures than what was in the 45's also. 37mm vs 38
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Tume on the 2332 is almost there. Right now it has 62.5 idles 165 mains and 200 airs. Plugs show a slight rich condition at idle.....they look rich after idling it they look perfect after a wide open throttle AMD immediate shut off. Will be putting 60 idles in as soon as I get back home in a couple of weeks. Will be following John's advice and running the 60 idles for a couple hundred miles. They'll either be perfect or I'll end up with 58 idles.
Motor is impressive to say the least. Has torque from idle all the way to 6 grand. Feels like a tad of a drop off around 6400. Nice driver. Anybody want to hear it I posted a crappy cell phone video on my Facebook page
Christother Wesley Roberts.....I'll get a better video up when I get home. I'll tape my cell up to record better and I'll make a couple different runs to show the power and response of this motor.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Here's a short vid I recorded on a short 20 something mile cruise in Oregon. about 15 miles into it. Sorry for the cell phone vid....part way through I turned the phone sideways. Don't get dizzy
https://youtu.be/RuAgYxjsnyI
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Here's a short vid I recorded on a short 20 something mile cruise in Oregon. about 15 miles into it. Sorry for the cell phone vid....part way through I turned the phone sideways. Don't get dizzy

How about a video pounding through the gears.......cruising at 60 mph is boring.... Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:

How about a video pounding through the gears.......cruising at 60 mph is boring.... Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

I was thinking the same thing! If your gonna post a video make it count.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
clonebug wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:

I was thinking the same thing! If your gonna post a video make it count.

I'll figure out some way to mount my video camera for the next time. Hard to go through the gears while holding a phone.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting parts for a 2332 Reply with quote

Drove up to Kent, Washington from Salem for VW Nationals this past weekend. Didn't race because I was having a ticking noise that wouldn't go away. Got home last night and checked it out. #4 exhaust valve pushrod. I have the so called high performance dual taper pushrods .....pushrod emd is pushing into the pushrod. Effectively shortening it and increasing valve lash quickly. I adjusted the valves to .006 before the drive home from Kent and when I got home it was more than double that. Oh well, I have a new set of chromoly pushrods that are still uncut. I'll be using those.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: