Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steve's 87 Syncro project
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

I finally decided to create a thread about my Vanagon.

Here is a ten year old pic from back when I was pushing the limits and learning the van. I baby it a lot more now. That pic is on the way to my friends cabin at War Eagle mountain above Silver City. I plan to put a Westy top and kitchen in it. My wife and I go camping a lot so I'm working on making it as reliable as possible and setup for our needs.

The basic rundown as it is now;
87 Tintop Syncro non locker (plan to add peloquin dif upon trans rebuild)
I have a RJE 2316cc Rocky Jennings custom engine in it with the Tencent/RJE vacuum switching throttle switch module. AA Trans sport viscous coupler. CLK Alloys, RMW swing away carrier. I'm working on getting all the mechanics fixed up before I tackle the front seam rust and rear 1/4 dent.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Watching with great interest! I'm considering similar conversion plans for mine.

It came to me with a Peloquin; I'll let you know how well or not well it performs after Solstice...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

If I had $ I would put a peloquin in the front too. Not many people have done that.

When my dad had his repair shop we installed quite a few ATB differentials with perfect success and happy customers.

My Nokian Rotiiva 215/70R16 tires are worn out so I'm in the market for new tires. I'm either going with BFG AT, Rotiiva again, or Cooper AT. Buying 5 tires at a time is a big investment for me. $yncro.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

I have a Kelty carport tent. Once setup I can move it easily and put it on the side or back of the van. It takes some time to setup but is nice once up. I want an ARB someday.

Since that pic I have a SA headlight setup and truck mirrors added.

Steve
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Looks great Steve!! Cool Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
...I would put a peloquin in the front too.

This is on my list.... I heard from two people who have them, that you can't feel it in the steering. Well, if you never get in a situation where the Peloquin locks, then of course you wouldn't feel it.

So how do we vet that observation?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Received the Vintage Speed torque elbow. This replaces the J pipe and 2 into 1 cast merge. Real mandrel bends, perfect tig welds, nice smooth merged design. Should add a couple horsepower across the board. I bought it from aircooled.net they are the biggest vintage speed reseller.

Steve
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Gees...how much is that pretty lil' thing from Vintage speed?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Gees...how much is that pretty lil' thing from Vintage speed?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Elbow-To-Cat-025-251-147BL-VS-p/025-251-147bl-vs.htm

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=706872
^^
Here is their advert where I first set eyes on the setup. I didn't buy their muffler system because I already have a high flow 2.25" cat and straight through custom muffler.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Arndt on Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Damn, that's a very reasonable price for such an object of beauty!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Long merge installed.

steve
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

It looks beautiful, but is there a noticeable performance improvement?

I've been having a b*tch of a time eliminating a tiny exhaust leak at that junction.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

It has more mid range punch. I've only taken around the block not to my dyno hill or any top end runs yet. It is louder and I can feel more exhaust pulse out the tale pipe. This leads me to think the timing of the exhaust pulses is stronger and better. A try Y 4-2-1 exhaust benefits from long secondaries like this pipe has.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Greetings.

Well I joined the club of snapped off alternator bracket studs. That sucks.

So I did a simple fix up to feel like I was accomplishing something. Replaced the rotten old breather hose.

uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Great fix! I need to do the same. I usually end up taking some welding rod, coiling it up and inserting it into the hose to prevent it from collapsing.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

Have you gone to the 1.25:1 rockers and swivel feet, by chance? I'd like to hear if those, together with the vintage speed piece are also noticeable improvement.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Have you gone to the 1.25:1 rockers and swivel feet, by chance? I'd like to hear if those, together with the vintage speed piece are also noticeable improvement.

His engine is a RJE 2.3 which should have Rocky's cam installed which requires ratio rockers.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

CB ratio rockers, RJE cam. Runs great. I can easily feel a difference in pulling power and acceleration since adding the vintage speed 2 into 1 torque elbow last month. Best 200 bucks I've ever spent from a performance standpoint.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve's 87 Syncro project Reply with quote

I installed an adjustable voltage regulator that I bought from aircooled dot net. Works nice. Running 14.2 at the batter now instead of 13.7 volts.

My alternator came loose and broke both studs off flush with the block. I have to take a bunch of stuff off to drill and extract the studs. The oil filler pipe. To get that off the engine hangar has to come off. My muffler is a welded on cobble so I can't get it off to get the mustache hangar off. So I bought both regular and monster alt supports from gowesty. I installed those and welded my unsupported stock alt bracket to the monster bracket. It is all holding great and much more stable than it was stock. I will probably make a brace like is show on the samba and tie it further into the power steering mount at the rear too.

Been camping with it the last two weekends in a row. Oh, I just dumped another can of R134a in my system to keep it cold. My conversion fitting valve is audible leaking w the service cap off so I have to fix that. At 8 bucks a can I just recharge it periodically.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: