Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2379, 2380, 2381 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
EeVeeWee wrote:
Clara wrote:
EeVeeWee wrote:
And with a plastic fuel filter in the engine compartment....
I see nothing wrong with that.
The fuel filter above the trans is not so good. Especially in a freshly revived bus that gets grit in the filter. Those are annoying to check for debris when hidden there, and more likely to pour gas on you when you change them. How awesome is that? Rolling Eyes

In the engine compartment I can check it with my oil check at every fill up. Sometimes there's a bad tank of gas that gets ick in there.

I know there is a line of thought that says it is wrong to put a filter there, but it doesn't make sense to me to be awkward. Be awkward and put it above the trans if you want to.
I know there have been more than one fires because of the filter in the engine compartment.
Easy to check, but when the plastic gets harder due to the heat, there can become a break in the plastic with leakage as a result.
Use a metal filter in that place or just put it in a safe place outside the engine compartment to prevent fire.
Please show me a picture of a brittle, broken or leaking plastic fuel filter. Plastic filters do not fail. Fuel lines get old and fail. Brass fittings come out of pot-metal carbs and fuel pumps. The plastic filters are not the problem. VW has produced millions of cars with plastic fuel filters.

If you think plastic is not under the influence of heat, be my guest, but at least don't put it at the pressure side of the pump, to be sure.
For me there is just one save place for the fuel filter, and that's underneath the tank, above the gearbox.
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EeVeeWee wrote:

If you think plastic is not under the influence of heat, be my guest, but at least don't put it at the pressure side of the pump, to be sure.
For me there is just one save place for the fuel filter, and that's underneath the tank, above the gearbox.

I live in Arizona and have been daily driving my buses for close to 30 years here, that whole time with plastic fuel filters in my engine compartment. Never once in that time have I seen one crack, break, or leak. I've had brass fitting pull out (just happened when I was checking one the other day), fuel line gets brittle (so I check it every time I'm near it), but I've never had an issue with a filter. In the engine compartment I can check it and easily replace it. If it is under the bus, it doesn't get seen, may not be discovered at all, and is a hazard to change. Being under a bus covered in gas is not safe. I recently tried putting a filter under the bus on a bus I was selling, just to avoid comments from the "don't put it in the engine compartment crowd" and experience all kinds of fuel starvation issues (with a newly cleaned out tank, a clean filter, and a new fuel pump). I soon moved it to where it is on every other VW I own and drove on an 800 mile trip with no more fuel issues.

Lind and Clara drive their buses a lot, long distances, as do I. I have yet to see anyone on the other side of the issue show any proof of a fuel filter causing a fire. As Clara said, they tend to stretch these days if put under pressure, rather than crack. I've stomped them, hit them with hammers, and lots of other things and have never cracked one open without extreme measures.

At this point I'm officially declaring myself on the side of in compartment filters.

www.rustybus.com www.shastasnowtrip.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

rustybus wrote:
EeVeeWee wrote:

I live in Arizona and have been daily driving my buses for close to 30 years here, that whole time with plastic fuel filters in my engine compartment. Never once in that time have I seen one crack, break, or leak. I've had brass fitting pull out (just happened when I was checking one the other day), fuel line gets brittle (so I check it every time I'm near it), but I've never had an issue with a filter. In the engine compartment I can check it and easily replace it. If it is under the bus, it doesn't get seen, may not be discovered at all, and is a hazard to change. Being under a bus covered in gas is not safe. I recently tried putting a filter under the bus on a bus I was selling, just to avoid comments from the "don't put it in the engine compartment crowd" and experience all kinds of fuel starvation issues (with a newly cleaned out tank, a clean filter, and a new fuel pump). I soon moved it to where it is on every other VW I own and drove on an 800 mile trip with no more fuel issues.

Lind and Clara drive their buses a lot, long distances, as do I. I have yet to see anyone on the other side of the issue show any proof of a fuel filter causing a fire. As Clara said, they tend to stretch these days if put under pressure, rather than crack. I've stomped them, hit them with hammers, and lots of other things and have never cracked one open without extreme measures.

At this point I'm officially declaring myself on the side of in compartment filters.

Although it appears we've drifted off topic for this thread, I figure I'd voice my opinion too and say that I've never had, nor my father before, any problems with plastic filters. It has always been, in the few instances where fuel leaked, a problem somewhere else in the line, namely the hose itself. Still, there were no fires, just that stinky goodness.

Now, I recently moved the filter under the vehicle above the transmission before the firewall to clean up the engine compartment and see what all the fuss is about...it is a pain in the fourth point to get to and annoys me to have to look out of my way to inspect its condition...so, maintain your vehicles, do the checks and services at proper intervals, and enjoy them, with or without plastic fuel filters in the engine compartment. The whole taking sides thing is boring, just make it safe for you, your passengers, and those around you. Cheers and drive on.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Why risk it? Put it above the gear box and change it every year. No engine fires. No rock chips. No worries. I do mine with the annual front end lube.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

If you have an old bus close the petcock, a newer one put a clamp on the line when you replace the filter. No gas on you and you compartment looks original.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

rustybus wrote:

I respect your option and good to know you never had problems with the fuel filter. But I don't believe the quality of all plastic filters are the same.
I use good quality fuel hoses and a metal with glass fuel filter. Also I put the filter on a safe place (my opinion).
For the service I can use a pit and I mounted a valve to shut down the fuel hose when I want to replace the filter.
Everybody happy. Very Happy
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EeVeeWee wrote:
rustybus wrote:

I respect your option and good to know you never had problems with the fuel filter. But I don't believe the quality of all plastic filters are the same.
I use good quality fuel hoses and a metal with glass fuel filter. Also I put the filter on a safe place (my opinion).
For the service I can use a pit and I mounted a valve to shut down the fuel hose when I want to replace the filter.
Everybody happy. Very Happy

I wouldn't care who puts theirs where except I'm tired of hearing people berated on here all the time for where they choose to put it. I tried underneath and it didn't work for me, so I put it where I always have. I don't care where everyone else puts it, just don't want to hear about it from everyone if I show a photo of my engine and it isn't where they like it Smile

Now back to whining about buses for sale.

www.rustybus.com www.shastasnowtrip.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
If you have an old bus close the petcock, a newer one put a clamp on the line when you replace the filter. No gas on you and you compartment looks original.

You could clamp the side towards the engine as well, as that gas will run out on you even if the petcock is shut off. Then just the stuff in the filter falls on you. Confused
I use a little more fuel line than some, so when pulling the engine I can pull the engine back, drop it a little, and then disconnect the fuel line from above, rather than underneath. Some gas always falls out.

Reference the current thread where people have difficulty reaching the clutch wingnut to adjust the clutch. If it is hard to adjust the clutch, they may find it awkward to check and/ or change the filter under there. And there are suggestions to remove a tire, put it on jackstands, etc.
But you can put the fuel filter where it is easy to get to! Very Happy

I agree with Richard, if you want to put it over the tranny on your bus, go ahead, but quit with berating people who put the filter in the engine compartment.
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

rustybus wrote:

I wouldn't care who puts theirs where except I'm tired of hearing people berated on here all the time for where they choose to put it. I tried underneath and it didn't work for me, so I put it where I always have. I don't care where everyone else puts it, just don't want to hear about it from everyone if I show a photo of my engine and it isn't where they like it Smile

Now back to whining about buses for sale.

OK Grumpy. Wink
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Now that the conversation dust has cleared lets get back to business.

Really? 43K Shocked

My apologies if this has been listed here already. I love turkis buses but 43K?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2120251

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

When the quality is really good, also from the parts of the bus which you can't see, I think it's worth it.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

i don't care for the floor and the bench seat, but the interior panels look great.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Not really my thing but I could see someone paying that much for it.

It looks pretty clean overall.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

It it the same Denton's from Georgia i remember from when I was down south then it is built right and I would totally buy this bus! Can I borrow 43,000 dollars from someone?

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Always wondered why someone builds something so perfect to their taste and does high quality then sells it. I get moving on but it seems like you'd be selling a kidney or the like.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Human nature. It’s why stock always wins in the end.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Always wondered why someone builds something so perfect to their taste and does high quality then sells it. I get moving on but it seems like you'd be selling a kidney or the like.

"Custom" has a shelf life, which is sometimes measured in weeks. They need to get out from under it ASAP before the "oooh shiny!" crowd moves on to something else.

Pick up an an old VW Trends or Hot VW's - the "super sano" cars that everyone drooled over back then, you wouldn't want to be caught within one nautical mile of today.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Nice but big money!

Split bus headlights SB19 SB20 SB21 Restored Price: $550
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2187933
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Nice but big money!

Split bus headlights SB19 SB20 SB21 Restored Price: $550
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2187933

They would be nicer if the bulbs matched Rolling Eyes.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Atlantic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

It’s one thing to be asked nicely to do something, but this morning I feel kind of being yelled at

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2188269

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2379, 2380, 2381 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2380 of 2710

Jump to: