Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Great show many thanks CVA for bringing it back.
Maybe it home with out any traffic ( 6W to 84N to 90East) was 6 bad after 84 going east? as we almost took that.

Rt 6 East, was clear after 84.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

Official vendor count was 63, all swappers. I sold a bunch, then bought a bunch.

Some pix, more in my gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

Here are some photos I took, I'm working on a short video of it that should be out by the weekend.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

Had a real good time at the show. It was good to catch up with people I haven't seen in person for a few years. The weather was perfect. Swap was good. I'm happy I made the trip. Thanks for the goody-bag (swappers don't always get one).
Thanks to CVA and Chuck and whoever else put on the show. If it continues into the future, I will certainly consider making the drive again.

Stan: real nice pic of Dan and Don in their Oval. Yeah, I know how to tell them apart Cool !

However, here is some constructive criticism for moving forward:

I was a bit peeved when I was asked to pay for camping, handed over a $20 and then asked for my $5 change, to be told that it was "really" $20.
The show listing on the samba clearly listed camping as $15 (see pic of Samba screenshot below), and I even quoted that show info in this thread here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8783299#8783299.
The ONLY place that it was listed that is was "really" $20 was posted in this thread on the Thursday before the show, by someone who apparently emailed the Lions club, not even someone who was helping put on the show? : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8799649#8799649

There was no pricing on the CVA website, or on the flyers.

So my advice on this is: Get the information correct across the board, and posted where people can find it. Don't change the info at the last minute.

Secondly:

junie5047 wrote:
10 days to go just final details at this point
some type of cookout will be happening saturday night by either the lions club or cva

junie5047 wrote:
6 days to go and the weather forecast looks great
Camping opens at noon and the lions club will have a cookout at 6pm

Unless there was bad scuttlebutt amongst the campers, and everyone missed it, this did not happen. Over the years it has always been nice to sit down with friends and enjoy a meal together. Not the end of the world by any means, it was just a bummer that it didn't happen. No, I didn't starve.
So my advice on this is: If you say you're going to do something like this (twice), make sure it actually happens.

A couple other things:
Gates for show cars & spectators opening at 9am? Wow, that is really late in the day. I overheard people and spoke with several vendors (after 8am, and before 9am) who were kinda freakin out that there was nobody there. A two hour gap between vendor gates opening and spectator gates opening is a real long time.

I also heard from someone who wanted to use the facilities, that there were no showers available. I don't know how accurate this is, but again, the info was put out there in the show listing that showers would be available.

I realize this was a transition show, there is obviously a lot of preparing to make it happen, and something will always come up. Thanks again for everyone who helped make it happen!
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Had a real good time at the show. It was good to catch up with people I haven't seen in person for a few years. The weather was perfect. Swap was good. I'm happy I made the trip. Thanks for the goody-bag (swappers don't always get one).
Thanks to CVA and Chuck and whoever else put on the show. If it continues into the future, I will certainly consider making the drive again.

Stan: real nice pic of Dan and Don in their Oval. Yeah, I know how to tell them apart Cool !

I was a bit peeved when I was asked to pay for camping, handed over a $20 and then asked for my $5 change, to be told that it was "really" $20.
The show listing on the samba clearly listed camping as $15 (see pic of Samba screenshot below), and I even quoted that show info in this thread here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8783299#8783299.
The ONLY place that it was listed that is was "really" $20 was posted in this thread on the Thursday before the show, by someone who apparently emailed the Lions club, not even someone who was helping put on the show? : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8799649#8799649

So my advice on this is: Get the information correct across the board, and posted where people can find it. Don't change the info at the last minute.

Secondly:

junie5047 wrote:
some type of cookout will be happening saturday night by either the lions club or cva

junie5047 wrote:

Unless there was bad scuttlebutt amongst the campers, and everyone missed it, this did not happen. Over the years it has always been nice to sit down with friends and enjoy a meal together. Not the end of the world by any means, it was just a bummer that it didn't happen. No, I didn't starve.
So my advice on this is: If you say you're going to do something like this (twice), make sure it actually happens.

A couple other things:
Gates for show cars & spectators opening at 9am? Wow, that is really late in the day. I overheard people and spoke with several vendors (after 8am, and before 9am) who were kinda freakin out that there was nobody there. A two hour gap between vendor gates opening and spectator gates opening is a real long time.

I also heard from someone who wanted to use the facilities, that there were no showers available. I don't know how accurate this is, but again, the info was put out there in the show listing that showers would be available.

I realize this was a transition show, there is obviously a lot of preparing to make it happen, and something will always come up. Thanks again for everyone who helped make it happen!

I'll pass it on the club Prez. I was told camping was 15.00 also. As for the food thing my suggestion is to do a pot luck but that's just my opinion. The pot luck dinner with the LIMBO group at the gathering I went to at Bald Mountain Vermont was incredible!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

The hard part for me was we come up to vend . We slept in the back of our pickup. We got up to the gate and had to pay for two vending spots. So we were $80.00 in the hole before I unloaded a part. $60.00 to vend was A LOT of money !! $20.00 is a lot to park in a field is a lot also.
junie5047
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

Secondly:

junie5047 wrote:

junie5047 wrote:

A couple other things:

I'll pass it on the club Prez. I was told camping was 15.00 also. As for the food thing my suggestion is to do a pot luck but that's just my opinion. The pot luck dinner with the LIMBO group at the gathering I went to at Bald Mountain Vermont was incredible!

unfortunately some of the details are out of the cva's control

as far as we knew camping was $15 if they changed that price or the person collecting was misinformed we were not aware

we were told a cookout was happening but they were unable to secure someone to sponsor it and a club member was getting married that night and they had no one available to do it but unfortunately we were not informed early enough to make it happen ourselves

show car gate was opened at 8am not 9

mens shower was found to have a leak and a repair was attempted that night but repair parts we not available <womens showers were available

all prices were carried over from 2016 actually very reasonible compared to other shows we have been to in the last few years
this was a leaning experience for us and we will assess all aspects of the show and make improvements

ctvwa
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

junie5047 wrote:

unfortunately some of the details are out of the cva's control

as far as we knew camping was $15 if they changed that price or the person collecting was misinformed we were not aware

we were told a cookout was happening but they were unable to secure someone to sponsor it and a club member was getting married that night and they had no one available to do it but unfortunately we were not informed early enough to make it happen ourselves

show car gate was opened at 8am not 9

mens shower was found to have a leak and a repair was attempted that night but repair parts we not available <womens showers were available

all prices were carried over from 2016 actually very reasonible compared to other shows we have been to in the last few years
this was a leaning experience for us and we will assess all aspects of the show and make improvements

Yup, I realize that this was a learning experience, and as I mentioned, things are gonna go wrong. Overall though, I though the show was really good.

You might want to discuss the camping price discrepancy with the Lions club? The guy who took my money (and every one else's), when asked why it was $20 and not the advertised $15, said something to the effect of "that's what they told me to charge".

Not a biggie on the dinner thing. I think all the campers were pretty set up for food. As I mentioned, it's been nice over the years to have an 'organized' meal with friends.

Interesting on the gate opening time. Sure didn't seem like there were many people coming through the gate at 8am, perhaps to the 9am advertised time?

Not a big deal (to me) about the (men's) shower, as I didn't really plan on using it. It's just that word amongst campers gets passed faster than a big ole doobie, and some people were a little bummed. Oh well, they can stink just like the rest of us. Smile

Keep up the good work!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

Link

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
cfvwtuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

Sorry for the bumps in the road regarding the show. We're always looking for volunteers to help out in planning and running the show.
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

Can the award winners be posted?

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

Secondly:

junie5047 wrote:

junie5047 wrote:

A couple other things:

I'll pass it on the club Prez. I was told camping was 15.00 also.

I second guess the gentleman collecting the camping fee also. But didn’t want to get on his bad side.

Could I suggest maybe next year, to make up the difference, they charge $10 for camping, since we were overcharged this year?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

I mean really?

sure it was advertised as one price....is a few $$ going to kill anyone? I mean for fucks sake. I forget what I was out...20 to camp, 35 to vend? I mean shows cost $$ to run. just support it. who cares?

wasn't like they rolled up and said 50 to camp.

some other swap meets are 100+ to vend and if you don't fit in the lines, you buy 2 spaces...

just think of all the stupid shit you've bought never used or just tossed in the trash. cheap vw owners strike again....

what's next? a refund because it was too humid or the sun was too bright?

clean out your couch cushions if you *need* the 5.00 to make your mortgage this month

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cfvwtuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:

I second guess the gentleman collecting the camping fee also. But didn’t want to get on his bad side.

Could I suggest maybe next year, to make up the difference, they charge $10 for camping, since we were overcharged this year?

This cant be serious.
Luckily this isnt for charity or anything......
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

Just wanted to say, that I enjoyed the show and the camping. Yes, the sites are just a field, but hey it was level, grassy and there was plenty of room! Casey let me use his truck to charge my phone (thanks!) $15 or 20 - it's money going to charity, so I don't mind.

I expected a group dinner - but I had brought back-up food and my neighbor (Jean-Paul) loaned me a propane canister, which I forgot for my stove. As a result, I ate healthier than I would have otherwise.

Note, on the shower, I mentioned it Sat night, and they worked on the shower on Sunday morning, but when I saw the pile of fittings removed, it was obvious, it wasn't going to be a quick, nor easy repair -like of those 3-5 runs to the hardware store type of repairs we have have all had at home.

I washed my hair with a water bottle at my site, so no big deal - but thanks to the crew for trying.

I plan on returning next year.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

Note, on the shower, I mentioned it Sat night, and they worked on the shower on Sunday morning, but when I saw the pile of fittings removed, it was obvious, it wasn't going to be a quick, nor easy repair -like of those 3-5 runs to the hardware store type of repairs we have have all had at home.
- but thanks to the crew for trying.

I plan on returning next year.

Yepper.
I was told they were working on the showers, and Sat. p.m., someone was working on them, but shit happens, wrong parts, whatever, get over it, or take a "stand-up bucket shower".
I have run hundreds of catering events, if it was my gig, I'd have "check showers/batrooms" on my hit list of things you do before a event, I hope the Fair grounds people will do this next year, along w/ a list of Camping/vender ect. fees.....
I bring my own food to any show I go too, 1-because I'm a cheap ass mofo, and 2, I cook for a living, so making food is pretty simple for a day and a half.
I too, will be back next year.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Terryville Bug Affair - June 17th 2018 - CT Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

I bring my own food to any show I go too, 1-because I'm a cheap ass mofo, and 2, I cook for a living,

Will trade gin & tonics for food next year...
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: