Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I assume this isn't normal.... Update: Univents
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: I assume this isn't normal.... Update: Univents Reply with quote

1965 Beetle. 2 screws on either side of the grille????

They are holding the air vent duct inside the fender.

The screw on the bottom is doing absolutely nothing. It passes through the vent hole and is screwed into a wire nut... Shocked

Both front fenders are the same.... Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

this is not normal. these little grilles are held in place by four bent tabs on the back, there usually isn't a duct so this is an owner mod. what purpose does the duct serve, where does it connect to?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

univent

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

finster wrote:
this is not normal. these little grilles are held in place by four bent tabs on the back, there usually isn't a duct so this is an owner mod. what purpose does the duct serve, where does it connect to?

It goes to a fresh air vent below the dash. There is one on each side (one for driver and passenger).

The ducting does look like the ducting in the photo above.

Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

yep that is a uninvent - allows fresh air into driver compartment

it was an accessory for beetle / ghia and was produced in Jacksonville by Uni-Vent Co. Inc. It was sold by authorized VW dealers

The Univent is made of plastic tubes connected to horn grill .

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bug_univent.php
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

Interesting! I've never seen one before. Did they work worth a crap or was it just a gimmick?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

Seems like just another way for water to enter into the car. I would imagine some use when moving but pointless at a standstill. Kind of like a vent window.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

did it have a fly screen? you wouldn't want an angry wasp fired up your shorts! Shocked
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

For those of us who have experienced how viable crotch coolers and ram air is.. Univents work quite well.

Still not air conditioning though.

I'll gladly take them off your hands.. if you don't want to keep them.

For those who have never seen Univents.. 20:1 odds are you've never seen Empi vents either..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640382
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

That’s pretty cool. I want that for mine now.
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

Okay...posting more photos....

Coming from air vent grille...

Up over shock...

Going in to cabin...

It extends beyond cabin vent as if there is more to be added....

Vent inside cabin with spring loaded cover...

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

Denny B wrote:
It extends beyond cabin vent as if there is more to be added...

eh . not quite..

Originally there is a pressure valve in the end of the tube.. that way.. ram air pressure won't build up and blow the vents open inside.. when closed

The valve (plug) is spring closed when the cabin vents are open.. and when the cabin vents are closed the valve opens (unseated) and relieves any pressure. .

Its a simple spring loaded "plug"

Look up in the end.. they may be there.
And yes the valves are needed to operate the Univents properly.. other wise.. they are simply moving air over the tire.. via a tube.. Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Seems like just another way for water to enter into the car. I would imagine some use when moving but pointless at a standstill. Kind of like a vent window.

There appears to be a drain hole right at the first 45° elbow for excess ingested water to drain out of.

Pretty cool accessory. (pun intended)

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Denny B wrote:
It extends beyond cabin vent as if there is more to be added...

eh . not quite..

Originally there is a pressure valve in the end of the tube.. that way.. ram air pressure won't build up and blow the vents open inside.. when closed

The valve (plug) is spring closed when the cabin vents are open.. and when the cabin vents are closed the valve opens (unseated) and relieves any pressure. .

Its a simple spring loaded "plug"

Look up in the end.. they may be there.
And yes the valves are needed to operate the Univents properly.. other wise.. they are simply moving air over the tire.. via a tube.. Laughing

Okay, took a photo of the end of the tube and yes there is a plug in there. I tapped on it and it sounds like a solid plug but it is also covered with many years of mud and grud. I'll check it out a little better when I get a chance and clean it up and let you know what I find.

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Update: Univents Reply with quote

rad. I'd keep 'em
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

There appears to be a drain hole right at the first 45° elbow for excess ingested water to drain out of.

You still have to cut a hole in the wheelwell where if you’re driving your car enough to actually need this water and crap is going to be barraging it in the rain. Maybe tons of sealant will help. I agree that it’s cool but practically I’m just curious how much it really helps unless you’re moving? Vent windows provide crap tons of air at speed, but in standstill traffic with 92* and a humidity level that makes it feel like 100*, I can’t see it being much help. Maybe hooking a small computer fan in front of that sucker would help? Trust me, I’d love to have something to make it bearable to drive my ACVWs right now. But as I look out the front window and see the heat fumes coming off the road right now.... bleh.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
That’s pretty cool. I want that for mine now.

I’ve got a NOS set still in the original box. $300 and they’re yours
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

You still have to cut a hole in the wheelwell where if you’re driving your car enough to actually need this water and crap is going to be barraging it in the rain. Maybe tons of sealant will help. I agree that it’s cool but practically I’m just curious how much it really helps unless you’re moving? Vent windows provide crap tons of air at speed, but in standstill traffic with 92* and a humidity level that makes it feel like 100*, I can’t see it being much help. Maybe hooking a small computer fan in front of that sucker would help? Trust me, I’d love to have something to make it bearable to drive my ACVWs right now. But as I look out the front window and see the heat fumes coming off the road right now.... bleh.

The advantages are, no water being flung in your face if it's raining, plus better circulation of air as it starts near the floor.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Update: Univents Reply with quote

Pieces and parts in classifieds for these, quite a few hits
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: I assume this isn't normal.... Update: Univents Reply with quote

Univent, is that not what a canceled event is called? Or maybe it is what happens when an inverter forgets his invention.

Neato system, a cool accessory..

Bug On with fresh air on the hair on your pair! Rolling Eyes

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: