Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus CAD model build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

These are off a 64...

Cargo door striker plate bottom
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/gdcwjsafll70swv/StrikerCargoDoorBottom.pdf
http://a360.co/2H7yewn

Cargo door striker pocket (same top and bottom)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ab2luqoxmegbpee/StrikerPocketCargoDoor.pdf
http://a360.co/2ssebVU
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Nice work dude! I love CAD Modeling... especially when it's useful like this. Wink

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vancity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

This is rad sgellis!!! From someone who has super limited experience with 3D CAD but can already understand how much time an effort something like this takes!
Are you progressing at all with this? Need any help/dimensions?

Love what you have completed already Cool
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Vancity wrote:
This is rad sgellis!!! From someone who has super limited experience with 3D CAD but can already understand how much time an effort something like this takes!
Are you progressing at all with this? Need any help/dimensions?

Love what you have completed already Cool

Thanks!

Moving ahead slowly. Have a bunch of drawings I just need to double check the dimensions. Drawing the parts is the easy. Getting accurate measurements is the time consuming bit. Been very busy and trying to get my bus restoration completed. I will likely make lots of progress next winter.

All help is welcome. Any accurate drawings or CAD models would be great. Also the drawings I have posted need part numbers and VIN/year range. Anyone can just post stuff here and I will update the drawings. Also if anyone verifies a drawing as accurate let me know and I will change the title block.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Spare tire brackets. I don't have any to verify accuracy...

Spare tire bracket 14"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nc2kmf7lw0et1og/SpareTireBracket14.pdf
https://a360.co/2JAImSc

Spare tire bracket 15"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/klas4ls02ezjc6n/SpareTireBracket15.pdf
https://a360.co/2JAImSc
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

I have a 15" one, all of your measurements look correct to me using my ruler.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kendy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Thats awsome Smile Thank you

Can i help in some kind? Working on Rhino3D
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

This is a great project you started here.

I am currently replacing the whole cargo area. And I noticed a few measurement which are off on your drawings and I can fill in some of our question marks.

I'll start out with the inner left rocker.

On detail B the measurement on the bottom (14mm) is incorrect it needs to be 19mm. The top measurement is 24mm. I don't have the exact offset of the holes in the bottom, but 21mm seem a bit far from looking at a photograph of a NOS rocker which I took at least a decade ago. I chose 12mm when I built the rocker today, the diameter is probably 7mm, this size is used in other location as well.

On detail C the diameter of the cutouts is 14mm and the center is at 7mm from the edge.

Unfortunately I am not sure, that I have all of the measurements of the cutouts my original rockers were patched in 1989 and therefore I might have lost some. I measured the distance from the rear of the rocker (the end which is welded to the rear-wheelwell):

The distances are: 35mm, 178mm, 310mm, 770mm, 930mm, and 1015mm.

Oh, and the overall length is off by 40mm. The measurement 1545mm is in reality 1505 and the same holds true for 1554mm which should be 1514. I chose to keep the tab a few mm longer on my rocker. It can be cut later.

I can add a a few measurement for the floor frame assembly:

The shift-rod tube sticks out 13mm on each end. The 360mm measurement is sort of correct, because the emergency break tubes are at an angle and the measurement is correct for the rear side of the frame-member it is smaller on the front side I will get this measurement.the exact placement of the frame-members seems to have quite a large tolerance. Mine were off by a few mm here and there compared to your drawing. Just one comment on the way you are giving measurements, usually you would give the exact location of each frame member from one origin and not relative to the next one. I measured starting from the bulkhead. The first one is at 0, then the I -beams I measured the center at 337mm, 638mm, and 939mm and the two rear u-shaped members at the forward facing edge (1240mm and 1424mm).

I hope this description was not too confusing.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
I can fill in some of our question marks.

Thanks!

I will fix them up within a few days.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
usually you would give the exact location of each frame member from one origin and not relative to the next one. I measured starting from the bulkhead. The first one is at 0, then the I -beams I measured the center at 337mm, 638mm, and 939mm and the two rear u-shaped members at the forward facing edge (1240mm and 1424mm).

I am a bit undecided on that. I was hoping to pick a spot on the bus as an origin and reference everything to it but that does not work so well in some situations. I added extra dims for now...

According to your dimension my rear cross member was forward by 4mm. I moved it but will check my bus and see if it looks correct.

I accidently broke some links so I will stick them here for now...
Edit: Everett fixed it Smile so I removed them from here.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Right front tow hook bracket

Evan (easy e) sent me a tow hook bracket to draw up.

Fusion 360 has a few limitations so the flat pattern is missing the curved bend line. I might try to fix that at some point.

Tow hook bracket

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/c2ejcvoxiakdnmy/TowHookBracket.pdf
https://a360.co/2OitPtB
elroocky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

This is just perfect, many thanks for sharing that bit Cool

great

David
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Bulkhead upper suport

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/rqvii65upwjw48i/BulkheadSuport.pdf

https://a360.co/2TrlZjr
3B(G)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Hello

i made a lot of parts from your drawings Very Happy
Thank you Very Happy
The parts fits good but the hole for the Handbraketube is 12mm not 11mm

Daniel

65 Panelvan
05 Multivan
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

3B(G) wrote:
Hello

i made a lot of parts from your drawings Very Happy
Thank you Very Happy
The parts fits good but the hole for the Handbraketube is 12mm not 11mm

Cool.
Looks like they should be 13mm to allow clearance.

Thanks! I will change the drawings.
ThumperDone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Was this frame ever completed? I'm looking for the front half of the frame mostly along with beam mounting points. Also the frame to inner dogleg (fender) lip, if possible. Thanks.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

ThumperDone wrote:
Was this frame ever completed? I'm looking for the front half of the frame mostly along with beam mounting points. Also the frame to inner dogleg (fender) lip, if possible. Thanks.

I forgot to respond earlier...

I do not have the model accurate enough to use yet. Been busy with my restoration and camper build so this has been set aside for a bit. May be fall before I get back to this project
ThumperDone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

I understand that. Well, if your still willing to share the frame it would be greatly helpful plus with the custom wishbone front end I'm designing I'm also planning an Electric Motor Conversion (bad knee, clutch really does kick me off the darn thing) Past the frame I would then need the entire engine bay sheet metal too to know my clearencenses from the new hardware to the body.
(I have the bus, anyone have a 3D scanner they can loan me??)

Anyway, the frame would be a great start for designing mounting plates and other stuff as I'm not looking to do the typical 'bolt-motor-to-transmission' deal. And don't expect to have this done this year either, sadly but I'm only one person.
If one of two ideas works it would do away with the Trans altogether meaning mounting a double-shaft motor sideways (depending on length of motor and if Swing or IRS shafts can be shortened and still correctly function) or second idea designing a 'worm drive gearbox' to replace the trans and allow the motor to sit forward of the half-shafts putting the weight of the motor more in the center of the bus as well. This would leave the entire engine bay empty for... maybe a 'bolt-in' weatherproof electronics box to keep things both out of the weather and clean looking. Finish it off with a new engine bay floor and nothing to be seen here, move along. Maybe it would be more a 'trunk' in the rear of a bus. Wouldn't that be wild.

Ok, nutshell if you will.. The plan even.. and the overall idea 'rule #1, if you will' is to try and make all that I'm designing (front and rear) as "Bolt-in" as possible. But don't expect completion for at least 2 years. The motor swap design and build is much easier than the suspension upgrade by far, at least for me.
example from ICE, to Bolt-on, to Double-shaft sideways [least amount of weight], to Worm Drive. All driveshafts are lined up to give an idea of where things would be in relation to each install, kinda..
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

Neat, the electric conversions I've seen have all been like your middle example, with the motor bolted onto a standard transaxle. Have you seen any conversions with the worm drive setup like the one on the right? I'd like to see photos, seems like a great idea, assuming the worm gearing includes a differential of some kind.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bus CAD model build Reply with quote

ThumperDone wrote:
I understand that. Well, if your still willing to share the frame it would be greatly helpful

Not going to share it until it is correct. I just need to verify and tweak the dimensions of the front and rear. Maybe I can get to it in a month or two. Might only take 1/2 a day to complete. Once done it will be shared here.

Cool project. Have you seen this thread? The small Tesla motor seems like a good fit though still a little bigger than necessary.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: