Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Into Karting?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Anyone Into Karting? Reply with quote

Scratching one off of my bucket list.Had karts growing up,but never raced.Just bought a VLR Racing Kart to run in an adult class.Outdoor concrete road course.Motors are spec Briggs sealed from the factory.Around 9 horse.Going to practice tonight for the first time.Around 50mph on the straight.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Into Karting? Reply with quote

Sounds like fun and a stress reliever as well. Bet they’ve changed since I was a kid. Are you running gas or alcohol?
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Into Karting? Reply with quote

..kind of. I drag my kids out to run SCCA Autocross in a kart.

It's a hand-me-down CRG shifter chassis, with a modified HF Predator engine. 50+ on a long straight, and they are typically in the top 1/3rd overall in times, against cars. It's not real wheel-to-wheel kart racing, and I haven't driven it myself, since the seat is too narrow for my fat butt Wink

Depending on what mood I'm in, I say the engine makes anywhere from 8 to 18 hp (I actually have no idea... Razz )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Into Karting? Reply with quote

My boy ran karts for a few years. From like 8 yrs old to 16 yrs old. Started with a crappy hand me down with a Comer engine. Moved up to several ItalKarts will Parilla Leopard engines. 19,000 rpm 2 stroke race karts.
We would travel to Sumas Wa. where they have an awesome kart facility.
http://www.simaracing.com/
We went as far as we could with the money we had. To go any farther would have required sponsorship, and way more time and travel than I felt comfortable with.
But it was a great bonding experience while we were doing it.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Into Karting? Reply with quote

Wow - that track is gorgeous. I would love to get into real kart racing, but the costs to be competitive are outrageous, and the local karting scene here is kind of bleak...

I understand the reasoning for the sealed engines that many classes require, but the need to ship an engine off for any internal work is crazy.

I've been enjoying tinkering with the HF (Honda clone) engine, since no-one locally cares. There's darn near as many aftermarket and tuning parts as with a VW or SBC. Of course it would be easy to turn a $100 engine into a $1500 engine. At that point, you might as well get a real race engine to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Into Karting? Reply with quote

This is the kart.The pic on the track is from tonight,just breaking it in.After this,changed the oil,put on suit and ran some laps.Holy crap!The Gs you pull in the turns are unreal.Me and my buddy are old and fat,but we had a blast.The class we are racing is going to be called "heavy".We have 6 more buddies running the class.I have to add weight to my kart when we start racing.Had to pull the graphics off.Like the black stealth look.What a blast.Spec class,87 octane,open tire.Track is in Port Washington Ohio for anyone local.

67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Into Karting? Reply with quote

My buddy had an 80cc racing kart. Like you said, the G's in the corner's are crazy! After about half an hour, I could hardly hold on to the steering wheel any more.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Into Karting? Reply with quote

jeffinohio wrote:

This pic made me jump. For the love of God, man get a driving suit. At the very least some old coveralls.
Track officials would be going crazy where we raced.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Into Karting? Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of fun.

I have a Margay rolling chassis someone gave me years ago. Never used it. I still have it on blocks.

If anyone wants it, I will let go cheap.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Into Karting? Reply with quote

My bachelor uncle Ed built all these karts/cars/trucks & let all us nephews & nieces drive them! We all raced his '65 327/4 speed El Camino a little, but he didn't care! The '57 AC Ace-Bristol was mine for a while.
http://s169.photobucket.com/user/mr_bojangles500/library/old%20cars?sort=3&page=1
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: