Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 349, 350, 351 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

First night drive with the LED headlights working properly. Smile

https://i.imgur.com/O2GceUe.mp4

I love how bright they are.
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

replaced a fuel injector fuel line as the 41 year old original blew out
ShaneS2992
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Had the mechanic down the road from my job stop by. Asked him if he had any tips on breaking the crank pulley bolt free. He said he normally pulls the motor and then he disappeared. 5 mins later he came back with a handful of tools and, we changed the pulley in the parking lot of my job. Good thing I have super chill coworkers/bosses.

Wink Very Happy
whoismikesmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I recently decided to put some VDO gauges in the dash and didn't realize what a can of worms that would open.
When I thought about adding additional wiring for gauges that would run all the way from the trunk to engine compartment, I decided to get all new wiring for the bug because it's definitely missing a few bits and I like the idea of having pretty zip-tied cable runs vs the existing rats nest.
SO, I started this project by tearing out all the old wiring and removing most everything from my dash. I ran the front half of the main harness into the trunk first, then re-wired everything on the front half of the car. Then I dropped the engine, removed the tarboard firewall insulation and rewired the back half.
I'm very excited for the information I'll be able to glean from the new gauges I'm installing, but it will also be nice to have reverse lights for the first time in my bug.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Tightened the outside mirror on my 1970. Easy, 12mm open end wrench. If it loosens up again I'll try Loctite.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ShaneS2992
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cleaned the oil bath filter last night and, fogged out the house in the process. Dipped it in kerosene an reinstalled this morning.
Then took the speedometer apart and, finished my project from last week after it died soon after whizzing. Tested it with a road side speed sign and its spot on. Having a good 4th of July so far!
bdill0414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Oil change, polished Empi's and purchased clear signal lenses for the front signals on my 72 Super Vert.

Went to get amber bulbs today and found that the small (1853?) bulb is not available in amber. So now I would have an amber 1157 for turn and a white/clear bulb for side marker.

Not sure that is the look I was hoping for.

Any ideas on an amber alternative for the small side marker light?

Only had my Super for 3 weeks. Really enjoying driving it almost everyday.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Completed a 1400 mile round trip from NJ to Indy. Left on July 4th. HOT!. Interstate at 65mph all the way across. IR gun temps from the base of block above the pully tin were mostly 205 to 210 degrees. Hit a 225F almost to the end in Ohio and took a break. My son and I needed it more than the car. Much cooler (70F) all the way back. Let it rip when hit NJ line. 70-80 for the hour keeping up with traffic. Changed oil in Indy, stayed with SAE30. Think its getting close to rebuild time. Oil light more constant than flicker when idling coming off the Interstate giving it the beans. Fun trip, lots of waves, cell phone pics, and surprised looks when overtaking.

Picture from the customary stop at Waffle House in Carlisle PA at the US 81-76 junction.

kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Had to break open the glove box lock. Rolling Eyes
So not only am I a half ass mechanic, apparently I’m also an amateur locksmith as well.
This is not the original lock. I think I have it in a box of parts the PO gave me but no key for it.
If I can’t locate the original lock, what can I use to temporarily hold the lid closed until the new one comes?

ricks73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Started to put the doors back together on my 73 bug. Bought net outer & inner window scrapers, new vent wing seal, new felt channels and glass (glass on back order). Started to install the outer scrapers but got too hot in the garage, around 101 degrees so I decided to tackle it in the morning when it's cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Upgraded the safety of my '74 SB vert by fitting a St Christopher medallion to the dash Cool
jeff01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

tested another axle tune and got 0.2 off from 1/8th....now it makes 6.2 @ 185km/h and 9.6@232

Link
ctknecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced aftermarket 009 centrifugal distributor with DVDA distributor from VWNOS.

Since my 1500cc was upgraded to 1600cc by previous owner, decided to get correct distributor for 1600cc SP with Autostick. VWNOS rebuilt distributor using NOS parts to create 113 905 205 AD (Bosch 0 231 167 012). Then re-tuned the carb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I did a minor clean today,cleaned the prefilters,wiped the intakes down,cleaned the wheels a little...tires too. drove it around a bit..
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Ordered the last piece for the new engine... A Flamethrower distributor.

Very Happy
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

puddle- that's great!
Quote:
Completed a 1400 mile round trip from NJ to Indy.

My long list of repairs to my '77 Beetle that I started last fall is nearing the end. Yesterday and today I finished replacing the leaking fuel filter and hoses located next to the transmission. Both the inlet and outlet hoses had developed cracks at the ends, and the plastic filter itself was not inspiring confidence. Replaced the fuel hoses with fresh German ones, and installed a metal canister Wix brand filter.

Removed the quiet pack muffler due to a small amount of rust on top of the inlet pipe. Cleaned off the oil residue coming back from somewhere on the right side of the engine, degreased the entire muffler, brushed the rusty spots with wire brush, them painted it high-temp black spray paint. Gave it 2 10-minute cycles of engine idling to start curing it. Last year I brush-painted it with manifold grey POR-15. Attached the muffler to the header flange with 30mm long M8 x 1.25 stainless steel bolts from Lowe's.

Patched an egg-sized rust hole in the left rear wheelwell at the back end of the heater channel, directly in front of the torsion bar cover. 3 weeks ago I got caught in a heavy rainstorm coming back from an event, and there was a bout 1/2" of water in the left rear footwell. Must've come in from that rot hole, splashed up from the tire. All I did was cut some thin aluminum flashing, sealed the edges with Flex-Seal glue, held it in place with a few rivets, then sprayed it all with black rubberized undercoating.
thecableguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed a refurbished OG 34PICT-3 Solex from Volksbitz. Nice to get a carb that I can actually set the idle correctly on.

Thanks Tim @ Volksbitz!!!

Anyone want a Decade 34-3?
ShaneS2992
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Have been having weird idle issues the past few days... finally took the jets put of the carb to find a sizable piece of clothlike lint clogging the idle jet... cleaned the rest of the carb with berryman's b12 and we're back in business.. time to go for a cruise on the PCH....

Cool Cool Cool
bmlb929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

New distributor cap. Cleaned exhaust. Changed valve covers and gaskets.
Kjb13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

New tires. 185/65 on front, 205/65 on rear. Was gonna put new shocks on while I hd the tires and wheels off, but it was too darn hot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 349, 350, 351 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 350 of 449

Jump to: