Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW trike engine size
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weirdbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

I'm currently deployed and saving some money to build a VW trike when I get back. I've got a frame being built and I'm building an engine from scratch. I'm going to use a freeway flyer trans. I want to do a 92mm thick wall cylinder but that's as far as I've gotten.

My question is, realistically, how much power do I need to keep up with modern traffic in the US without running high rpms? I'm going to use this as a daily driver and long camping trips in the mountains.
Weirdbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

Really guys?? Nothing??🤨
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

Good luck with your build-should be a great project.I haven't a lot to do with VW Trikes. Have tuned a few and done minor repairs.All have been 1600s' and one with a 1915 with dual Webers-it was quick.The 1600 engine ones were all capable of keeping up with normal traffic.If your having a trans built,consult with them about what your thinking.They can work out what horsepower you need,what wheel size etc.,then make the ratios to suit.My next project will be a front engine VW trike,with a Porsche automatic trans.Will probably use a 2lt Bus engine with fuel injection.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

On a lightweight trike, a stock 1600 would let you keep up with traffic fine. Thick wall 92's would get you an 1835 which is a nice bump in power.
Weirdbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

Thanks. I was going with the 92 thick walled, just wasnt sure how crazy to go with it. I've had VWs my whole life, but this is my first trike and my first engine from scratch. I spoke to the guy building the frame and he suggested 94x69. I think I'm going 92x82 and building it mild with heavy duty parts. I figure I can throw it in a buggy later if I get tired of it or it being overbuilt, it'll just last forever. I'm thinking the fuel economy cam in it seeing as there isn't a need for a lot of torque.
red caddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

Just another point of view.

Torque is a measurement, Horsepower is a calculation.

I would build along the lines of 94 X 82 or longer stroke. There is more torque in the longer stroke, at a lower RPM range. Make lots of torque down low and get speed and snap with gears and tire size. There are several good low RPM cams out there but most are at their best with a webber or duals.

My street legal sand rail is a 2007 CC long stroke with kadrons, will spin 10 X 33's. If I don't pick on too many 5.0 Mustangs, I get 28-30 MPG, your trike will likely do better, if you don't pick up the front wheel in every gear.

Years ago I traded for a Corvair trike, I didn't keep it very long, it was dangerous on the street. I added 300 lbs. of lead to the front, reset the rake and trail and that beast still scared me several times a day. Very unstable on the hiway, blip the throttle, and you changed lanes. Balance is the key.

Build a low RPM pulling motor, it will be much more manageable and tuneable. As an added bonus, you can cruise all day, in a state park, in second gear, at 15 MPH.

Just another old farts opinion.

Paul in Floriduh

My last build thread. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466571
Weirdbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

Thanks red, I've been going back and forth with the 94's and 92's. I like the fact that the 92's are better at handling heat, but most of what I've red seems to indicate that 94' aren't bad at all and have been lasting as long. Given that this will be open like a dune buggy, maybe I'm being over cautious
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

Weirdbob wrote:
Thanks red, I've been going back and forth with the 94's and 92's. I like the fact that the 92's are better at handling heat, but most of what I've red seems to indicate that 94' aren't bad at all and have been lasting as long. Given that this will be open like a dune buggy, maybe I'm being over cautious

You'd want thick walled 92's vs the 92's that fit in 90.5 mm holes. No warping issues with 94's, it's the thin walled 92's that have the issue.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

Well I like big stroker motors.
But in a light trike even a stock 1600 is fun.
A 1776 makes a good stock head motor. Any bigger than that I like more head.
So bare minimum I would go with a counter balanced crank and a good balancing job.

When you are ready for that "freeway flyer" ask all the questions. That is a marketing term and has little meaning. So ask what makes it a flyer? What are the gear ratios? What ring and pinion?

I run massively tall gears and a big motor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Weirdbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

Thanks snusnu, I was thinking that too, but what was your rationale for tall gears? I'm thinking just speed and hopefully the tall gears will help keep it on the ground. What type of speed do you do? And do u have any cooling issues?[/u]
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

Having no fan, but with the engine out front in the wind, I am dependent on ground speed for cooling. Low rpm cruise and low load helps a lot. I can burst out a lot of power, but then need to cruise to cool down. I doubt I could pull a trailer uphill through the mountains, even though I have the power to do so, I can not get rid of the btu generated.

I started off a buncha years ago with a fairly hot 2110 engine and what some call a flyer trans. It was an early swing axle with 3.88 ring and pinion.
The gears were still to short. It physically took longer to shift it than it took to pull the gear. It was common to hit valve float before you could get a hand back on the shifter.

So I went to a later 1.26 third. A .82 fourth and 3.44 ring and pinion.
I doubt a stockish engine could pull the gearing.

I assume you are std rear engine set up. Keep all the primary tins and a dog house out cooler. With an open engine and always having fresh air, instead of being closed up under a hood, you should be good with the cooling. Normally in the car you have to make sure of fan speed for cooling. But with an open engine you should be able to run a 3.88 ring and pinion with no problem, even with a mild engine.

Build as much engi e as you want or can afford.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trike Ike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW trike engine size Reply with quote

Hello, just as a 2 cents reply my well balanced trike had a single port stock 1300cc for years and it was so much fun. Able to u-turn on a two lane road and corner faster than some autos. It wouldn't tip, I tried. It was a frame built in 1975. Very well balanced and had enough power for the roads. I've recently rebuilt it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: