Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 VW Automatic leaks transmission fluid from bottom
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitchdollery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: 1977 VW Automatic leaks transmission fluid from bottom Reply with quote

I have a 1977 automatic bus. It is leaking fluid from a small hole in the bottom of the transmission. I have not been able to find too much information on this but I am thinking this is the overfill drain. I have checked fluid level and it is not overfilled. Fluid also looks dirty, not completely red. Transmission guy tells me he thinks it is the torque converter seal, but I think it could be the seals between the transmission and the differential . Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Automatic leaks transmission fluid from bottom Reply with quote

Pictures would be helpful - I have a '77 with auto - no "holes" at the bottom of my tranny.

Check the differential oil - how do I say this correctly - stick your finger in the hole and see what color the oil is - should be "pure transmission oil" with that beautiful aroma - if it has transmission fluid in it then the gasket between the two potentially needs to be replaced...

Alternatively..

If the ATF is dirty - change it, the ATF filter and the diff oil.

Warm it up - check the ATF level. Then give it a good run and see if the diff oil is still contaminated. Mine had sat for a number of years and now runs really well after replacing the fluids and the ATF filter.

If it is you will have to pull the tranny - note you have to pull the tranny and the engine together.
!984 911 Targa
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Automatic leaks transmission fluid from bottom Reply with quote

the small weep hole in the bottom middle of the AT transmission goes up into the air gap between the Differential and the transmission section.
it's there to prevent fluids from mixing..

you will indeed need to R&R the transmission to remedy this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Automatic leaks transmission fluid from bottom Reply with quote

cant see any weep hole but... its worth changer the fluids etc first vs pulling the lot..
!984 911 Targa
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Automatic leaks transmission fluid from bottom Reply with quote

located here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682180

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Automatic leaks transmission fluid from bottom Reply with quote

Ah!! This one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

!984 911 Targa
Mitchdollery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Automatic leaks transmission fluid from bottom Reply with quote

Yes that is the hole where I have leaking from. Only leaks when engine is running, and it’s a pretty substantial leak. Appears to be transmission fluid.
Mitchdollery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Automatic leaks transmission fluid from bottom Reply with quote

I have been told I can remove the transmission without removing the engine. Is that correct?
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Automatic leaks transmission fluid from bottom Reply with quote

According to the Haynes manual it should be removed as one with the engine but I will defer to the experts in the forum.
!984 911 Targa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: