Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It finally looks like this is the end of the road for my 417,000
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Osbourne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: It finally looks like this is the end of the road for my 417,000 Reply with quote

I knew it couldn't last forever, but I was hoping to get it to 450,000 miles before I retired it. But, last week, it started to have some coolant issues.....as in the coolant was being forced out of the expansion tank after shut-down. No overheating, but something was pressurizing the cooling system enough, after shutting-down, following a long run, enough to force coolant past the reservoir cap. Thinking that the recently installed reservoir must be cracked, I replaced it with another new one. Problem solved, right? Not!

I pressure-tested the system to 20#, but got no leakage. However, after sitting overnight, the pressure had bled down to around 15#. Well, I don't have time to go any farther with the diagnosing, so I took it in to my dealer, this morning. On the way there, the transmission started hunting between gears. Oops! Not good. I'm not about to finance another transmission rebuild and the body is finally starting to show signs of rust, so...... Picking up a new Golf, or a Tiguan Limited (decisions, decisions....) on Wednesday. My Golf III will come home on a flatbed and await final disposition. Damn shame, but nothing is forever. Yeah, I could rebuild it and keep going, but I'm getting too old for that shit and, besides, I have more fun (for a lot less money) with my MGs.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: It finally looks like this is the end of the road for my 417,000 Reply with quote

Sounds like a wise decision. With 400k+ miles everything is worn out. Once the body is rusted out, I'm out.

Working on MG's does not seem like a lot of fun but we all have our faults Razz
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: It finally looks like this is the end of the road for my 417,000 Reply with quote

pressure in cooling system without overheating.... theres a setup with a squeeze bulb you put on the resevoir and when you squeeze the bulb it bubbles air from the coolant tank through a special fluid....if the fluid changes color theres combustion gas in there....best case blown head gasket, worst case cracked block or head ...put a fork in it, its done
Bud Osbourne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: It finally looks like this is the end of the road for my 417,000 Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
pressure in cooling system without overheating.... theres a setup with a squeeze bulb you put on the resevoir and when you squeeze the bulb it bubbles air from the coolant tank through a special fluid....if the fluid changes color theres combustion gas in there....best case blown head gasket, worst case cracked block or head ...put a fork in it, its done

Since I've owned the car since it was brand new and it's NEVER over-heated, I suspect a head gasket leak. Not really a big deal for me to change.

Stay tuned for a new announcement, about the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: