Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

History
77 FI camper.

Removed positive batt cable before pulling engine. Put engine back in , now getting alternator and EGR light on dash. (Always did pos cable in doing bugs, and winter storage.. even the bus).

Removing engine requires removing wired plugs etc

Here is Ratwells voltage reg check

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As for ratwells chart, - 1st of all, why would there not be 12 volts always at the blue-red wire when the ignition key is in the on positon? The blue wire is having 12 volts as it comes from the dash

From my blue wire I have a black wire connected to it.
When I have the key on I get a voltage reading at the D+ plug ( blue/red) of less than 1 volt. If I disconnect the black wire I get 12 volts

This black wire ( which can be disconnected) goes from the plug into a sheath toward the battery then up, up across the hatch and down the inside of the left hatch to a small relay. ( not sure what relay this is yet).

( In this same sheath, also noticed a red wire going from the NEG battery post to the same relay)

I know the wires from the volt regulator go into a sheath down to the alternator. From this sheath I also see a black wire that is not hooked to anything ( part of which can be seen @ about 9:30 in the photo.

I also include a "drawn" diagram showing my wire situation.

I just dont get why I would be getting my alt light on (and EGR) - the only thing I did to the alternator was to move it to remove and install the belt so as to check for endplay when engine was out

Any input or thoughts would be helpful. Learning, ... but still need to learn a lot about buses.

Thanks
Matt

Also as Ratwell is expecting to see 1.28V at the R/B wire plug, I am hesitant to leave my black wire disconnnected and let that plug see 12 volts from the blue wire.. and plugging it back in into the volt regulator.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
History
77 FI camper.

Removed positive batt cable before pulling engine. Put engine back in , now getting alternator and EGR light on dash. (Always did pos cable in doing bugs, and winter storage.. even the bus).

The reason you don't remove the hot cable before removing the ground cable is because if you touch your wrench to a ground at the same time it is on the hot terminal you are going to end up with a red hot wrench in your hands, a hole blown in the sheet metal and/or battery acid all over you face and torso.

The D+ terminal on the regulator partially grounds the D+ wire which causes the charge warning light to come on when the alternator isn't putting out juice.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

I've got no answers to your technical question(s), but when my battery light is
on & won't go off when running, it tends to be time to check all the leads
going into the voltage regulator, reach under there & seat each wire, that
old plastic block lets them wiggle about & sometimes they don't all seat
even though you've plugged it in. Next step is clean the battery posts if that
doesn't put the charge light out.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

12v on a disconnected blue wire is normal, connect it to the red wire and it'll drop to around where Ratwell specifies (and the dash light will illuminate), the resistance of the idiot light filament creates the drop.
The black wire coming from the alternator harness was for the test network, tape it up since it's constant 12V and unfused.
That harness leading across to the house battery relay has some oddly colored wires in it, you'll have to determine which terminals what color is on at the relay before we can advise where to connect what.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

Thank you all for taking the time to respond...
Thanks Tim, I double checked the contacts!

Wild, .. never knew that... thanks will go for the neg cable 1st in the future.

BusDaddy

As for the colors of the wires to plug designation, it is as follows

From the plug to the voltage relay:
Brown is D-
Green is DF
and Red/Blu is D+

The black wire which comes off the blue wire goes to the back left of the bus to a relay. As I was confirming this is the same black wire with an OHM meter, while the black wire was off the little relay, I cleaned the prong of the relay. Now with the ignition on I test the R/B wire at the plug, instead of getting a small voltage, now I am getting 7.10 volts (!)

Wondering if I plug the plug back in the relay, with that much voltage - wonder if I will burn something out. This is crazy.

I am not so good at reading the schematics, I cannot locate the relay or multiprong unit that is just inside, down to the left of the engine bay door.

I do not see any schematic showing a lead coming off the negative battery post at all, let alone going to the above mentioned relay.

Sorry to sound frustrated, but I am!

Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

What someone did is use the D+ circuit to trigger a relay. This will keep the electrical load low during cranking and until the alternator energizes. Not a bad system, but it can cause you to need to rev the engine a bit to get the alternator to energize.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
BusDaddy

As for the colors of the wires to plug designation, it is as follows

From the plug to the voltage relay:
Brown is D-
Green is DF
and Red/Blu is D+

The black wire which comes off the blue wire goes to the back left of the bus to a relay. As I was confirming this is the same black wire with an OHM meter, while the black wire was off the little relay, I cleaned the prong of the relay. Now with the ignition on I test the R/B wire at the plug, instead of getting a small voltage, now I am getting 7.10 volts (!)

And what terminal number was that wire attached to?

This may help with that bonus battery charge relay: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1978westymanual.php

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

Is this the relay?
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

Wish I did not have to work long hours!

I was thinking about this today, I know talking about wiring is not so exciting as many other things to address on bus related threads, so I want to say thanks so much to all of you for keeping up with me on this. It really surprises me there are people who want to be so helpful. I know this takes time from other things your could be doing.. Thanks!

OK, this is what I found.

I think what TCash was showing is correct..

Placement ( just inside left to the engine hatch)

diagram

Hookups

Drawn info found on relay and schematic

Not sure if " [ " are C's or E's - too worn to tell

Ok, so from my drawing;

#30 red wire which goes into the sheath goes to the NEGATIVE post on my main battery

#86 black wire which goes to the same above sheath goes all the way up and connects to the blue wire at the voltage relay. Does this make sense?

#87 Thick red wire goes to POSITIVE on aux battery

I see TCash ahs #30 wire going to positive terminal on main battery while mine is negative. (!!)

I know if I disconnect the #86 black wire, I believe the alternator dash light goes out... not real sure, would have to double check

what purpose does this relay (if that is a correct term) serve?

Oh wait, I was looking at the schematic on the relay... so this relay allows charging to the auxiliary battery via the main battery? That is my guess. If correct, just wonder why the black wire would "bother" to be joined to the blue wire... oh, so the voltage regulator would somehow tie into the action of the auxiliary battery charging?

Matt
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

The relay is used to charge the aux battery. When the alternator generates enough voltage at the D+ terminal (which only can occur once the engine is running), power travels from D+ down the black wire through the relay coil (86), then to ground (85), causing the relay to close. This connects the main battery (30) to the aux battery (87), allowing the alternator to charge both. This way, the possibly discharged aux battery is isolated from the main battery until the engine is started and running.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:

#30 red wire which goes into the sheath goes to the NEGATIVE post on my main battery Matt

If this is true and the relay has ever closed then the relay is going to be blown up inside.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

Thanks Telford,

That completes the picture in my head.

Wild, yes I cannot understand why the #30 wire is going to the ground of the main battery - what is with that... however it seemed to be working.. nevertheless, I am going to change it over to the positive terminal on the battery. When I saw a red cable coming off the negative terminal - I thought that did not look right.

Once I change it over, I will again check the volt relay plug voltage with the ignition on and see what I get.

It still seems strange when I put the engine back in, I had both the alternator light come on, AND the EGR... made me wonder if there is a common line between them that is an issue.

Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
It still seems strange when I put the engine back in, I had both the alternator light come on, AND the EGR... made me wonder if there is a common line between them that is an issue.

The EGR and brake warning lights (CAT too if California) come on with the charge light every time you start the bus to confirm the bulbs are working, it's a built in self test.

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
Thanks Telford,

That completes the picture in my head.

Wild, yes I cannot understand why the #30 wire is going to the ground of the main battery - what is with that... however it seemed to be working.. nevertheless, I am going to change it over to the positive terminal on the battery. When I saw a red cable coming off the negative terminal - I thought that did not look right.

Be very careful here, you don't want to cause a fire or blow something up. Remember that the color of an aftermarket battery cable may well not follow the Red=positive convention. Run the wire to the #30 terminal on the relay through a 12v light bulb instead of hooking it up directly. If the bulb lights up brightly when the relay closes you know something is wired wrong.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

X2 ^^^

Go one better: ignore the wire color and connect it to the correctly labeled battery terminal, etc. Once you get it working, either replace the cables with the correct color, or get a package of colored electrical tapes at Home Depot, and wrap the cable ends with the correct color tape. Might even get some colored model paint and paint the tops of the battery posts with the appropriate color.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

Thanks again,
I woke up early trying to go back to sleep, but this wiring was stuck in my head.

What really gets me, is for the month I had this bus, and on occasion drive it, there were no EGR and Alt lights coming on (permanently) at all, and batteries seemed to be accepting a charge. Left interior light on once over the sink, and I think that drained the aux battery, but running the bus around charged it back up.

Taking the engine out ( which requires removing relay plug) and putting it back in made both EGR and ALT light stay on permanently.

I did however move the alt a few times to take belt off & on, so wonder if cables came undone or something underneath.

Nevertheless...

Here is an easier for me to read schematic I found showing the aux battery.

This morning I was thinking I don't get why it is wired the way it is and how it could charge the main battery, and I don't get how it was doing it.

I appreciate your comments,

I am not sure I can get current through the aux relay as I am not apparently getting voltage from the alternator either by bad alt, bad Volt regulator or this bad wiring.

so what I understand is that once the voltage passes through the voltage regulator it is through aux relay my my main battery is charged - in through 86 out through 30. This charge is governed not by the aux relay but upstream by the volt regulator. If the volt regulator says to charge the main battery, it does through the aux battery. IF this is true than the big red wire out from #30 for me is going to the negative post (!) I will confirm this as suggested. I will disconnect both ends of this wire and verify by OHM that this is a isolated single wire. I know without a doubt this red wire is on the negative post of my battery. The ground strap is also there. My volt meter confirms neg vs positive.

Wild, this is where I will put in your idea; from the #30 terminal I will put my volt meter, positive lead to #30, black lead to ground. and hope to get a signal.
Looking at my diagram above, I think I am wrong, it seems the black wire is always supplying 12V(?) to the aux relay, and a switch there will charge my battery when relay closes (??) If so, then what in the world is the voltage regulator doing to charge my battery...? Seems like it is not needed. I am missing something.

I will also remove #87 lead which goes to the aux battery - just to be safer.. or will this not have the relay work as it should...?

Yes, I am paranoid about causing a fire...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

The blue wire sees 12+ volts once the alternator energizes (turns on). It is not the regulator that does this but the alternator and then once the blue wire has 12+ volts on it the relay is triggered.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

OK this is what I did...

I disconnected the red wire; one end from terminal #30 and other end from the negative post of main battery. I confirmed this wire is not connected to anything else and is continuous.

Coming from the same sheath, I disconnected the black wire ; one end from terminal 86, the other from the joining the blue wire near voltage reg. confirmed this wire is not connected to anything else and is continuous.

I hooked up both ends of the black wire.
I hooked up one end of the red wire to #30, the other end was to my voltmeter.
With the ignition off, volts = 0
With ignition on(engine not starting) volts = 0.02
With ignition on, Alt and EGR light on.

I started the engine Both Alternator and EGR light went off!
My main battery was charging at 13.5V 1st time since the engine went back in!

My voltmeter being connected to red wire going to terminal 30 showed an initial voltage of 0.2 but was climbing. after 10 minutes it was over 1 volt.

I was sure that my aux battery was not receiving a charge, but just to be sure no craziness was going on, I tested it - showed only 12.5V

So I think this is progress... I like my battery charging...

I have not done it yet, but I think it would be safe to connect the wire from terminal #30 to my positive post on my main battery, instead of the negative post - unless someone sees something I don't and advises otherwise.... is this correct?

strange how the EGR light also went out.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

As I said in a post above, if the wire to the #30 terminal was once connected to the negative battery terminal then the relay is probably toast. Had the rely ever been activated with the wires hooked up this way its life would have been measured in milliseconds.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Question Ratwell voltage reg check & my issues Reply with quote

Quote:

The schematic is correct.

To be clear:
(1) The really big red alternator wire should be going to either the main battery positive terminal or to the big lug on the starter. The main battery, therefore, is charged directly by the alternator. The aux battery is charged via the relay from the main battery.

(2) The alternator actually has two outputs: the big red wire (B+) and the small red wire (D+). The output voltage at these two terminals is roughly the same when the alternator is operating. The big difference is the D+ terminal is good for only around 5 amps while the B+ terminal is good for 55 amps. The regulator is connected to D+ because connecting it to B+ would slowly run the battery down when the engine wasn't running.

Test:
(a) disconnect both the 87 and 86 wires from the relay. You should be able to measure 12 volts on the relay terminal 30 from the main battery and 12 volts on the disconnected 87 wire from the aux battery.

(b) connect relay terminal 86 to 12 volts. The relay should click in, and you should be able to measure 12 volts on the 87 terminal.

(c) if both of these connections are true, reconnect the original wires to the relay, and all should be well. The aux battery should charge.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: