Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front End Installation Help?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Front End Installation Help? Reply with quote

I have an 85 2wd Westy, and I'm getting ready to put the front end back together after a good couple of week cleaning parts, ordering parts, and painting! I will be putting on all new springs and shocks, upper and lower wheel bearings, Powerflex bushings, and wheel bearings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The front end is completely disassembled (as you can see by the photos) and I'm looking for advice (tips and tricks) on the best (easiest and safest) way to put it all back together again (minus the wheel bearings).

I rented a spring compressor but I'm wondering if I even have to use it? When is the best time to install the ball joints? I removed the whole sway bar, radius rod, and drop link in one piece, can I/should I put it back together again in one piece and set it in place to be installed like that? Again, I'm using Power Flex bushings so the upper and lower control arms come in 2 pieces for easy installation!

I just want to make sure that I don't do anything in the wrong order, and waste time and potential screw something up.

Thanks for all your time and help!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front End Installation Help? Reply with quote

I just did a full suspension rebuild on my 83.5.

Make sure your hardware is in good shape. Replace any as needed. Bentley manual is very nice for torque values. Consider Bentley Stainless Steel brake lines. These Mercedes front axle nuts are great and I would recommend. Make sure you read, and understand how to correctly install front bearings. I had to do this job twice.

If I recall correctly. I started putting it back together in this order.

0. Get lower ball joint pressed into knuckle.
1. Put trailing arm bushing/bolt on
2. Put radius rod bushings on the inner side, stuck it through frame
3. Put spring in place on trailing arm. Make sure you have that 'top rubber' piece on spring. Align the circular 'hole' from rubber piece to top of shock tower.
4. Used a jack to lift control arm with spring. Lined up the radius rod to the bottom of the control arm. Put bolts in there. Then put radius rod other bushing on, with bolt - not torqued but on.
5. Install strut
6. Tie rod ends
7. swaybar (yes you can install without taking endlinks off)
8. upper control arm, upper ball joint
9. drum, bearings, brakes, etc.

The rented spring compressor probably sucks. Hopefully you can rent a good one. I chose to put my life and face in harm and used a spring compressor then 16x 175lb zip ties per spring.

Also. If you can get your hands on some 'newer' kuckles - then you can do a big brake upgrade. You should consider replacing your expansion tanks grommets while you have the room.

Here is my recent thread. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700530&start=0

If you did everything correctly it should look like this.

gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front End Installation Help? Reply with quote

Shagginwagon83, Thanks for the response and info.! Looks like you did a nice job on your van too!

After further thoughts, here's my "reassembly strategy/list" so far!
Please let me know what you think?
I also have a few questions at the end, and a couple of lessons that I had to "learn the hard way" during my removal process.

"Reassembly strategy/list"
*Get your lubes and anti seize ready!
1. Assemble sway bar bushings to sway bar, and upper drop link bushings to drop link and attach to sway bar (while off the van). *good video on this!
2. Press in (with press or tool) lower ball joint into steering knuckle.
3. Put lower control arm bushing on and install bolt and nut (loosely).
4. Get a jack under the lower control arm and use jack to install/position/compress springs into place.
5. Install shocks.
6. Install front of radius rod with bushings (loosely).
7. Install Steering knuckle (actually the adapter on the lower ball joint) and rear end of radius rod into lower control arm.
8. Tight Lower control arm bolt.
9. Put in sway bar and drop link in position (together) and try to get bottom of the drop link and bushings into the radius rod (loosely).
10. Once the sway bar, drop link, radius rod are in position tighten up nuts and bolts some more.
11. Install upper control arm (loosely)
12. Install upper ball joint to upper control arm
13. Install upper ball joint to steering knuckle (tighten down to secure upper ball joint in place).
14. Tighten up upper control arm
15. Install tie rod end to steering knuckle
16. Tighten up everything to torque specs if possible. *If you have Powerflex bushing! If not, and you have rubber ones, wait til you have the van on the ground.
17. Install backing plate > rear bearing into back of rotor > rotor > outer bearing into front of rotor > washer > Hub nut > brake calibers >
18. Install wheels

Questions?
1. Is this order correct?
2. Is there anything that I need to hold off on torquing down until the van is on the ground?
3. Can I really get the spring on this way without needing to use the spring compressor tool?

I have the good paddle type spring compressor, but I did have a couple of near death experiences with it during removal. One was that I forgot to put a jack under the lower control arm before taking off the top of the shock! Yep, scared the shit out of me! The spring decompressed and was held back from jumping into my face by the shock still being attached to the bottom bolt. The second was a full on accident, I was removing the heavy ass spring compressor and spring to pull it out at the same time I had to lift up on the upper control arm to get it out of the way. Well, I accidentally dropped the spring compressor with spring and when it hit the ground it set it off! Luckily, this time it went the other direction into my spare tire under the van and stayed attached to the spring compressor with the safety cable!!

Know do you understand why I am asking for help? Haha!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front End Installation Help? Reply with quote

You say you have a new spring, so which one ?

Some require the compressor and some don't.

Nice van by the way!

Once you have the lca back on just see if the new spring will slip in.

I like how you have backups to the backups in the jacking of your van, that's exactly how I do it.

Watch your speedo cable of course as you replace stuff.

To get the nut started on the end link I use a short pipe over the sway bar and into the springs to lever the end link down.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front End Installation Help? Reply with quote

Quote:
You say you have a new spring, so which one ?

Sorry, I bought the Schwenk "no lift" Springs. They are about an inch shorter than my old original stock springs. And, my plans are to go ahead and add shims in the usual places (to avoid the nightmare of having to do this job again).

Also, thanks for the compliment, speedo reminder, and end link install tip!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front End Installation Help? Reply with quote

Schwenk may be the only spring I haven't installed Laughing , but, if it's actually shorter than the stock I'll guess no compressor necessary.

Shims? In the front? Got my attention.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Front End Installation Help? Reply with quote

You need to tighten everything from the front shocks and upper control arm bushings to the radius rods *on the ground*, ie with weight on the suspension.
Otherwise those suspension parts will fail prematurely - and the shock will knock when going over bumps!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front End Installation Help? Reply with quote

Quote:
Shims? In the front? Got my attention.

Yeah, it's been a bit frustrating if you ask me, and I haven't even used them yet. The shims help balance out the van, front to back, and side to side (apparently to help the so called "Westy lean", a dominant drivers side due to the extra weight).

Quote:
You need to tighten everything from the front shocks and upper control arm bushings to the radius rods *on the ground*, ie with weight on the suspension.
Otherwise those suspension parts will fail prematurely - and the shock will knock when going over bumps!

"Front shocks". Both the top and bottom?
"upper control arm bushings to the radius rods"? I have the Powerflex bushings, I have read that this doesn't matter with the urethane bushings? Can anybody else confirm this?

Thanks!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Front End Installation Help? Reply with quote

What kind of shims did you get? I'm interested also.

Do you drive your westy any in the winter in Boone? I am thinking about putting a gas heater in my van, buying a season pass to Beech mountain, and stealth camping in parking lot on weekend.
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Front End Installation Help? Reply with quote

Quote:
What kind of shims did you get? I'm interested also.

Here's the link, but if you have the time and tools, you can make your own.
http://www.syncro.org/schwenksprings/shims.html

Quote:
Do you drive your westy any in the winter in Boone?

No way, to much salt on the roads for me (I'm getting old though)! That stuff will eat good metal in no time (hard to wash it all off). I really hate to be a poor sport for adventure, but I've always wanted a rust free van! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: