Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

So I have a 1982 VW Vanagon Westfalia Diesel with a 4-speed manual trans with 150k miles......and it's popping out of gear. Crap!

My sweet wife loves this van and so do I. We get 30-32 mpg on the freeway. Well, she mentioned that it has been popping out of gear and encouraged me to drive it. Sure enough, that's what it's doing.

It's popping out of 3rd, 4th, and reverse for sure and perhaps 1st and/or 2nd but I haven't been driving it enough to know about those gears for sure.

Could it be linkage? Or is the fact that it's popping out of so many gear a symptom of syncros or something that requires a complete rebuild?
Is there a short-term fix?

It's a 1982 diesel. I believe that the diesel part of the equation is irrelevant but the fact that it is a 1982 is a different story. I was told that this trans is problematic.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

The external shift linkage needs to be up to snuff to fully select a gear. There are a lot of bushings that support the linkage that wear out. They were NLA up to a few weeks ago. I recall seeing a member is making and selling them here on the Samba. Check the classifieds.

A bad engine or transmission mount can also allow the assembly to move enough that it could pop out of gear. Also you should check the gear oil level and once you have the fill plug out, go ahead and pull the drain plug out. It should have a magnet and you can see what is stuck to it.

Short term fix, would be a bungee cable to hold it in 4th. Use your hand to hold in 3rd.

I happen to have a good used diesel transmission minus the bellhousing that I would be willing to sell on, but freight from south florida would be expensive. PM me if you decide to go that route.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

No it is not linkage and also not the oil.

Edit:
Well i am 90% sure about the linkage and 100% about the oil.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

If it's popping out of so many gears , I would definitely check the linkage front to back, and make sure all your engine and transmission mounts are alive and/or missing bolts. I had a friend recently complaining he couldn't shift anymore.Lol, the whole right engine mount was unbolted....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
If it's popping out of so many gears , I would definitely check the linkage front to back, and make sure all your engine and transmission mounts are alive and/or missing bolts. I had a friend recently complaining he couldn't shift anymore.Lol, the whole right engine mount was unbolted....

That make's a lot of sense. Regardless if that is it or not, it makes sense to go through all of that anyway. It's a 36 year old vehicle. What are the chances that the motor/trans mounts would need to be replaced. Wink
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

mg93108 wrote:

, it makes sense to go through all of that anyway. It's a 36 year old vehicle. What are the chances that the motor/trans mounts would need to be replaced. Wink

Thats the right attitude, applies also to the gearbox
Odd_Dutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

I had a similar problem but only in fourth gear. Went to have a look under the bus and noticed a loos metal brake line that hit the connection point on the linkage just behind the fuel tank. Preventing fully engaging fourth gear.
I have not driven it yet, but I suspect this was the culprit.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

When you are applying engine power, the angle of the engagement teeth connecting the slider to the idler gear is what keeps the transaxle from popping out of gear. If the required angle is worn away, popping out of gear while under power can occur.

It is common on some transmissions (not the Vanagon so much, but Toyota transmissions suffer this frequently) to suffer wear on the engagement teeth and allow the transmission to pop out of gear, especially heavily used or frequently shifted gears like first gear and the highest gear. It is not common for this to affect 2nd and 3rd gears.

When you are not applying engine power, it is the detents and the corresponding ball/spring mechanism that keep the trans in gear. The shifter mechanism is designed to have some friction to prevent vehicle movement from causing the shifter lever (about 24 inches of leverage, remember) to apply force to the shift mechanism.

You might well find that rebuilding the entire shifter mechanism will help. If not, your rebuilt trans will shift nicely. Wink
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

The good news is that used diesel transmissions are cheap, if you need one. They're not really good for anything but the original engine, and most people can't live with it.

They're not so easy to find, but here's one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2167503

--

If I were you, after checking the linkage etc., I'd try to buy a good used transmission and swap it in, and then if I had the money, I'd get my original rebuilt, swap it back (eventually), and keep the other as a spare.

But I like to horde parts, because I worry about something going wrong at a bad time and having trouble finding parts.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

Maybe a bit off topic, but what are the costs involved in rebuilding a diesel transmission? Is it mostly labour? Can a home mechanic hope to do it? Keep thinking of ways to keep van maintenance costa down and I know my trans is going to need rebuilding. At 300,000+kms!
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

Rebuild cost should be around 1k, but will vary depending on the condition of the transmission.

It is possible to DIY, at least insofar as it doesn't require any wildly expensive equipment -- i.e., you don't need a machine shop -- but I'm thinking it might be the most complicated mechanical procedure a van offers, and does require some special tools and a whole lot of research.

I think if you have to ask if you can do it, your answer is probably no.

But you've got the right idea: it'll likely be cheaper to rebuild your trans before it fails.

Since your trans is still running, why not look for a good used trans? As I said above, they're cheap. You could get the new one rebuilt and then swap, or swap and rebuild your original and keep the new one as a backup. Or, like me, when the time comes just run the new used trans and hope for the best!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

Popping out of gear suggests that the bearings are so loose that the shafts (and shift/slider hubs) are moving. If bearings are 'loose' you are destroying expensive parts in your trans (gears, shafts, R&P), reducing the chance that it can be rebuilt.

It is possible that there are problems inside the gearbox and outside.

Keep in mind that if you hold the trans in gear with your hand, you will wear out your shift forks. And you should also know that EVERY time it pops out of gear under power you are doing damage to your gears and hubs.

To get the linkage in order - is the most reasonable __first step__ to solve this problem.

Or you could look at your magnetic drain plug, if it's covered with fuzz that is good information too. Or if it's got clear areas on the magnet that is GOOD news.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

The transmission linked above in the classifieds is a bargain assuming it still has some miles left in it. There are some special tools for overhauling the early 091 transaxle. You also need to pay close attention to the point of marking where the shift forks are secured to the shafts on disassembly. Originally to set the forks, you needed a fixture to hold the assembly while you made the adjustments. I have seen pictures of a spare case cut out to act as a setup fixture. I would snag that one in the classifieds at that price. I could not let my low mileage one go that cheap. I believe the sand rail crowd likes these diesel transmissions.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Popping out of gear suggests that the bearings are so loose that the shafts (and shift/slider hubs) are moving. If bearings are 'loose' you are destroying expensive parts in your trans (gears, shafts, R&P), reducing the chance that it can be rebuilt.

I bough a used DK trans for my AAZ conversion. Once I got it running, I discovered that it popped out of first gear. I drove it for awhile anyway, until it started popping out of 2nd gear. When I pulled it I found a wrecked R&P and a ton of magnesium dust.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

Here's what it looked like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

It was oil contermination Wink
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
It was oil contermination Wink

Hah, right -- all this damn magnesium dust broke it.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

zuhandenheit wrote:
Sodo wrote:

I bough a used DK trans for my AAZ conversion. Once I got it running, I discovered that it popped out of first gear. I drove it for awhile anyway, until it started popping out of 2nd gear. When I pulled it I found a wrecked R&P and a ton of magnesium dust.

Magnesium dust comes after steel dust. It comes after the trans has been completely destroyed By driving with steel dust and bearings are so loose that gears are rubbing on the magnesium gearbox housing. Magnesium dust itself probably doesn’t cause any further problems, because at that point there’s not much left to save.

My guess in this trans the mainshaft bearing was so loose that it was shoving the input shaft in and out, and wobbling so much it broke the 7mm connecting bolt.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

I think you know, but to be clear, I was just joking.

Anyway I wasn't really making fun of concerns about contamination -- as I said elsewhere, it makes sense, but being ignorant on this topic, both sides of the argument are plausible to me. I don't know what exactly failed in this trans, but I am sure the magnesium isn't the cause.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1982 manual transmission popping out of gear Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

My guess in this trans the mainshaft bearing was so loose that it was shoving the input shaft in and out, and wobbling so much it broke the 7mm connecting bolt.

Incidentally, the input shaft and connecting stud were fine. I removed it because I needed it for my other transmission. (They're both DK, and I have to use a DZ input shaft as I run an AAZ.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: