Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency Brake Handle Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Emergency Brake Handle Question Reply with quote

I've been searching and reading threads about rebuilding the E-brake handle but I can't find what I'm looking for. On my 72 Vert the handle itself works fine. The problem I have is too much slop in the bushings (if there are bushings) where the handle pivots down by the heat controls. The handle sits to one side rather than down the center of the tunnel and you can wiggle it from side to side more than it should move (like 4-6 inches).

Can anyone offer advice and/or direct me to a thread that speaks to rebuilding this part of the brake handle?

Thanks
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake Handle Question Reply with quote

Sounds like the original pivot pin was lost and replaced by another, looser substitute by a PO.

The original pin fits snugly into the round barrel near the bottom (back end) of the e-brake handle. The pin is long enough to also connect the handle with each side of the bracket which is welded to the tunnel. You can see the round pin in this photo-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The pin is held in place by two circlips, one on each end of the pin so it does not slip out of the handle barrel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If a PO lost one of the circlips, or the entire pin, he could've used a bolt of nearly the same diameter and a double-nut on the other side to fasten it. Any slop due to a looser fitment could easily result in the front of the e-brake handle moving sideways a few inches like yours.

Just carefully pull up the e-brake rubber boot on yours to inspect. Once you decide on a repair, removing either seat provides much more working room.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake Handle Question Reply with quote

Sounds like you are missing at least one of the round clips that hold the pivot pin. Also when one clip is missing the handle gets off angle which bends the metal causing the handle to be more off angle.

Pull the handle, you may have to order new clips, they are cheap, with handle out hammer/bent the side metal back together so the handle assy fits semi snug, as long as the holes the pin slips through have not been wallowed out too bad a little grease, new clips and the handle should be close to feeling good again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake Handle Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I went off line for awhile and lost track of this post. Both clips are there. It appears either the pin is too small or the holes in the bracket welded to the tunnel are wallowed out. I'll pull the handle and inspect.

Are there actually different size pins? I hope that is the issue because I don't know how I would fix the bracket if it is wallowed out (no welding skills or tools).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: