Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
I'd fill in the gaps with by welding more before any seam sealing. Body mount could eventually crack the way it looks now.
I'll fill it in a bit more... This repair is one of the pains of a '67, I had to modify a 68+ wheel well to get the proper stamping which meant moving the mount.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

And my welder ran out of gas today... might be getting a bigger tank. 2 months with this one and it's already empty. I guess I have been doing a lot of welding.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bugii Reply with quote

Regarding the tank. It doesn't have to be a bigger one. Just an extra one's a good idea too. I was looking for a welding gauge on Craigslist or eBay and found one that also came with a new tank. All for $50. Really comes in handy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Yeah, but I rent(?) my tanks. I paid upfront and just pay for gas now. They said anytime I want, I can pay extra and start getting a bigger tank.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

You own the tank if you paid an initial upfront payment. I do the same thing through tractor supply. They have multiple stores in my area.If they would happen to not have the size I use in one store I look on their website for which store it's available. As long as the tank is up to their standard they exchange. I get a different tank every time instead of waiting for a fill. The extra tank I bought they exchanged no problem and it's in there system. I would just ask where you buy the welding gas if they would take a stray one in there exchange system.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I swap tanks out too, instead of filling. I get them from airgas, so I doubt I could take it to tractor supply or get another one in their system.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

What am I supposed to do with the wiring loom when I replace the driver side channel? Does it run along side it?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

As far as I know, yes. I used a couple dots of adhesive paste to hold the harness in place. I fastened it to the heater channel under the lip where the sheet metal is spot welded together (might be a DANSK-specific feature, not sure), not the pan, and it will eventually be protected by the carpet and far enough out of the way its highly unlikely it will even ever be stepped on much less damaged.
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Wow. Just looking at your pics of all the welding/replacement, it makes me feel lucky that my 67 is rust free. Don't know if I would want to do all this work. Shocked
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

REDKAFER wrote:
As far as I know, yes. I used a couple dots of adhesive paste to hold the harness in place. I fastened it to the heater channel under the lip where the sheet metal is spot welded together (might be a DANSK-specific feature, not sure), not the pan, and it will eventually be protected by the carpet and far enough out of the way its highly unlikely it will even ever be stepped on much less damaged.
Perfect, thanks, I'll do that.
Offroader5, you are lucky, you definitely don't want to do all this. Rust repair is a good skill though.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Alright I need some help, is this supposed to be perfectly straight?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It’s the rear quarter panel.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Nothing is straight or flat the car is round everywhere 😅what are we looking at, where the door closes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

The gap from top to bottom should be the same yes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
The gap from top to bottom should be the same yes.

Are we talking about the same thing? Laughing
this is what I’m questioning.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

The door gap between the two should be the same but it looks like the right shape in the last picture.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
The door gap between the two should be the same but it looks like the right shape in the last picture.
Not the door gap, but the shape. When I put the plank on there, it is perfectly flat. No curve. I want to make sure that is right. The door gap on this side needs to be adjusted. The other side is like this too, I just want to make sure nothing is messed up.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

Yeah thats prollbaly curved also , put the fender on to get an idea of how much filler you need there. Like I said they are not flat anywhere 😎 but you should be able to get an idea of the shape from the curve on the bottom section of the door.
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I put a straightedge to mine it looks more gentle of a curve than yours, but before you break out the bondo i think you should test-fit your running board and fender and see if it looks like they will install and fit decently.
If so, I really have to say that while the shape may not be spot-on, slathering your car with body filler is usually a poor answer to a not-that-big-a-deal situation. A little imperfect sheet metal is totally normal for a 51 year old car, where as a pound of "wavy gravy" body filler makes it look like the owner is embarrassed that their VW has a life story...

Apologies if that sounds judgy, I've just walked that path before and there is some regret...
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring My New (to me) 1967 Bug Reply with quote

I confirmed with another friend that it is supposed to be flat. If I were to put filler on though, I was only going to use a little.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 25

Jump to: