Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

I'm not sure whether there is going to be a point to this thread, but I thought it might be useful to some people to see the steps involved in servicing/refurbishing a stock carburetor.
What might be interesting is that the carb in question is in pretty dirty condition, grime outside and inside. From the condition of the screw heads it doesn't seem to have been opened up many times, if at all. It's obviously well used and might end up needing the throttle shafts rebushed, as there is a bit of side to side play in it.
The reason I'm doing it is that I searched for a long time for the stock carb for our USA spec 1970 Ghia, with the twin arms for the throttle and the throttle positioner. Hens' teeth doesn't begin to describe them, but I eventually found this one on EBay. I'd like to bring it back to stock condition, so I'm prepared to have a go, however bad the carb looks!
The good:
Correct carb 30 PICT-3, will replace the H30/31 I have at the moment
Parts and jets all seem to be present, except the throttle positioner has lost one of the connection tubes
The bad:
The grime has stuck everything solid, so at the moment I can't get the top off, the choke off or the choke diaphragm. I've left it to soak in penetrating oil.
Possible rusty looking deposits coming out of the main jet access hole.
Some play in the throttle shaft. Might need rebushing, we'll see!
Starting pics just now, and I'll post up progress as I go (which might be sporadic!)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

I just rebuilt one for mine so you should've asked me as they are around here.
Carb cleaner should clean it up nicely or take it apart and have it glass bead blasted. Send out the gold parts to get recoated.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

I found an old carb at a swap meet that looked ok and I took it apart, removed the choke, the idle cut off, separated it into two halves and then soaked it in pinesol for a few days. It cleaned up beautifully and my garage never smelt better. Then blasted it with a homemade a soda blaster and some good old fashioned arm and hammer as the blast media. That got most of the grime off of it and cleaned it up to a nice satin look. Works like a charm now.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that’s the plan, split it, soda blast and then zinc plate the steel parts.
I loosened everything up last night but it was still stuck together. Before I get out the BFH I’ll try soda blasting the crud off and leaving a bit of penetrating oil to loosen things up.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

I’m a big fan of water blasting, especially for small pieces made of alloys like the carburettor and even the engine block. The polished result makes for an outstanding finish.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

Still looking good. I gave the whole thing a quick blast of soda and the oil on the joints has freed things up.
Once the top is off, I can see that the float reservoir has a layer of rust coloured dust, but actually doesn't look too bad.

The main gasket is very cleanly indented, which suggests again that the carb has not been taken apart multiple times. The choke assembly and its diaphragm had been stuck, but the penetrating oil meant they could be knocked off with a soft faced hammer. Everything else disassembled fairly easily, the float valve fibre washer was stuck, and spilt on removal. I think the (German) rebuild kit has a metal washer as a replacement.

Does anyone know if this carb would have two check balls, or one?

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

2 check balls like below. Not a 30 PICT 3 but the same check balls.
glutamodo wrote:
There are two check balls:

The inlet one in the bowl - you'll need a long M4 screw to which you can clamp a wrench to and tap on that to pop the retainer plug out:

The outlet side is here: (this is an H30/31PICT example but it's the same place on the 34PICT-3: You have to remove the dump tube/jet to get this ball out.

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

VW 236-1/2
30PICT-3
113905205M 113905205T
BUS
1600 SP
8/69
X112.5
140z
g65
Typ 2 1600, eng code B5116437- onward, M157(emission control)

Here's the info for that base flange number carb Phil. What distributor are you running?

Here's what a 1970 Ghia would of had on it-

VW 226-1
30PICT-3
113905205T
Bug & Ghia
1600 SP
8/69
125z
USA Manual Aux Fuel 45

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

Thanks both, good information.
I have the 113995205T distributor, and I will change out for a refurbished one when I change the carb.
I've also got a selection of jets, so I can fine tune when I install.

I don't know if this is answerable, but I'm not clear on what the difference is between, for instance:
A 112.5 and a x112.5 jet
65 and g65
And, is there a 140 and a 140z air jet

I think I've mostly disregarded the additional letters in the past, but maybe there is a significant difference?

I could also do a search...
Maybe tomorrow!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Thanks both, good information.
I have the 113995205T distributor, and I will change out for a refurbished one when I change the carb.
I've also got a selection of jets, so I can fine tune when I install.

I don't know if this is answerable, but I'm not clear on what the difference is between, for instance:
A 112.5 and a x112.5 jet
65 and g65
And, is there a 140 and a 140z air jet

I think I've mostly disregarded the additional letters in the past, but maybe there is a significant difference?

I could also do a search...
Maybe tomorrow!

They are the same size jets. When I rebuild carbs, I take them fully apart. They then are dunked in an ultrasonic parts cleaner with hot water and degreaser. It vibrates all the old fuel and junk out of the small passages in the carb.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

Despite having the part number and the code for the bus, the carb has the same jets as Bill posted for a Ghia. I'll fine tune with a wideband when I install, but these jets should get me going!

I've managed to find time to continue with the cleaning, so the body has been soda blasted and lightly polished, and the small parts and levers etc will hopefully be plated this afternoon.

I struggled to get the throttle positioner arm off the throttle shaft. It looks as though it should pull more or less straight off, but it wasn't keen to move, so I left it in situ. Any tips?

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

At least I'm making a bit of progress today!
Finished what I can do of the disassembly by removing the check balls. The threaded plug in the picture can be removed with a beetle taillight screw, but I had to make do with an ?M4 screw I had hanging around. The other check ball I dropped in the garage, which provoked a great deal of swearing at my incompetence, but I found it with a torch and a magnet!
Plating is in progress and the parts are drying in the garden. The nuts and washers are in a wire basket, so will be a bit uneven. Never mind.

ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

interesting how does that plating actually work?
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

I've read about and successfully used lacquer thinner & compressed air to soak carbs in & blow out passages. Is Pine-sol strong enough to get those inner passage ways cleaned out and dissolve that gas-varnish-crud? This is after removing anything plastic or rubber of course.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:
interesting how does that plating actually work?

This will be a short version of a long answer, but there is also some good information on zinc plating in some of the Samba threads.

Many of the VW steel parts were originally zinc plated as the zinc is preferentially oxidised and preserves the steel. The plating only really lasts about 20 years though, and then rust can start.

You can set up a home electroplating kit with a power supply and pretty safe chemicals and with some practice the results are pretty good.
The process is:
Clean and degrease the parts.
Acid pickle and rinse.
Pass electrical current though the parts while suspended in zinc electrolyte (the current depends on the apsurface area of the parts)
Rinse and polish, or rinse and coat in a golden yellow passivate which gives the characteristic appearance.
The parts are then protected from corrosion for the foreseeable future.

Definately doable at home if you have the space for the buckets of acid and electrolyte and it means you can do stuff like this in small batches.
Cool!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
I've read about and successfully used lacquer thinner & compressed air to soak carbs in & blow out passages. Is Pine-sol strong enough to get those inner passage ways cleaned out and dissolve that gas-varnish-crud? This is after removing anything plastic or rubber of course.

We cannot get buckets of carb cleaner here, so we have the aerosol kind and compressed air. I think the small passages are the problem, I haven't used Pine-sol.
I like the soda blaster for the visible deposits. It's awesome! The good thing is that after blasting you can rinse/soak in hot water and the excess soda dissolves.

Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

The pine sol soak works great. It strips the metal of oil and grease, isnt perfect but I find it works well. Then I blasted the carbs with a homemade soda blaster and they came out pretty clean.

Give it a search, there is lots of stuff on it on the net. I have used it a few times. Never any issues. I have not been thrilled with carb cleaners you get in stores these days. The good ones seem to be the old ones and you cant get those anymore.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Messer-industrial-Ultrasoni...&psc=1

Phil, buy something like this. I just bought one like it. I'm in love! I threw a complete, filthy, nasty distributor in it with Simple Green degreaser. It gets the water 140* hot. 45 minutes later, it was spotless.

I should of bought this bigger one years ago for my parts cleaning.

ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

Great thanx about the plating
what do you use as zinc electrolyte?
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 PICT-3 carb rebuild, from a poor start! Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:
Great thanx about the plating
what do you use as zinc electrolyte?

I got the whole thing as a kit from these guys:
zinc plating supplier

I use a bench top variable power supply though, which is much more controllable.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: