Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

81 Cali air-cooled conversion to something better?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: 81 Cali air-cooled conversion to something better? Reply with quote

Looking to upgrade engine and possibly transmission depending on upgrade. I have an 81 Cali air cooled (live in Houston) and want to add power and “reliability “ to van.

I would like a Bostig conversion vs Subaru. Seems like parts more available and I’ve heard it’s more reliable. From what I’ve read it’s more expensive too do so downside to that. Most of my trips so far have been only and hour away and In the colder temp months. Texas heat is hard on air cooled. I’m not looking for super power just something that can get me up to speed without getting out to push.

Any conversions doable in the 5k-7k range? I would have to have a shop do it.

Open to any option really. Just want a little more modern equipment where I’m not counting on 37 yr old plastic or wires. And yeah I know it’s an old car and modern equipment is a loose term.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

I converted an 81 to subaru 2.2 L. Its awesome but the amt of work required and the cost may not be in line w the value of the van. Now maybe you dont give a rats ass about that. I didnt.
When you do a conversion from an aircooler to a water cooler there is a lot of extra work in assembling a cooling system not to mention a new heating system for the cab and window defrost. shit the list is long. Its a labor of love.
I would never convert an aircooler again. Id find even a beat watercooled van and go that route. From low coolant alarms to an existing radiator and well engineered heat. There are too many advantages..

That out of the way....there is no greater jump in performance than an aircooled van converted to modern day horse power. And reliability is exponentially increased. Its awe inspiring but I would have to really be attached to a aircooler to make this type of effort again. Mine has been nothing but powerful and responsive and reliable since I got the suby conversion running.
hit me up if you need any help w the nuances of this project... Love to help.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

If I were you, I would keep an eye for a 2.7 or 3.0 Porsche 911 engine and transmission. I drove one for a day and all I can say is wow. You keep it air cooled and it fits with minor work.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

There's no doubt that the installation of a cooling system adds more work but in terms of the dash and heat box, some vans need a heat box reseal so you'd be into the dash and heat box anyways. And, by doing an air to water cooled swap, you'd have a near new cooling system in the bargain. That counts for a lot IMO. If it was me, in hindsight, I'd source a WBX heat box, rad fan/shroud, fan wiring/plugs then if need be, make the support brackets for rad. Heck if one wanted to, they could make their own lower rad grill and the OE type cardboard pieces that go around the rad. There might be an image of those in the gallery showing dimensions?

FWIW, I've been running the older smaller diameter long coolant pipes with out any obvious determent to the cooling system capability. Using new stainless 1.9 type pipes will save you some work as they fit in the OE frame holes which I assume your bus has. My '81 did.

There's plenty of other things to do like running new wires back to front, installing the oil pressure "L" board, rad fan wiring, that also take more time. Would I do that conversion again? If the bus had a great body, yes. Then again, if an air cooled with busted engine but otherwise good drivetrain etc. fell in my lap for the right price, I'd rebuild the 1.8 8v VW engine, used rad etc I have lying around and put those in. But I digress....

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
mcamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

Yeah I know it’s a ton of effort but I’ve done a bit to the interior and there’s very little rust on it so the body is solid and I would rather put more money into this one than risk some unknown new van. I’ve had brake system redone too. Heater doesn’t work so new system is great that it would fix heater.

The van has an air conditioner system so not sure if I’d try and fix that or just replace w new system. The coil is just behind the front grill so new radiator might have to go where spare tire is and tire on rear rack.

I’m not even sure if 5-7k is a realistic budget for Subaru or bostig.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

DIY subaru for 5 k is doable.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

DIY VW inline four w/factory diesel 50 degree kit is doable for $3k or $4k. No need to sell your soul. My TDI install was a little more than $3k, though it was super double extra DIY.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
mcamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

Would not be a dyi as I don’t have the time or skills to pull that off.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

Your price range basically eliminates all the major "kit" swaps, unless you find one that someone is removing and selling in favor of an upgrade.

y u rune klassik?
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

You can do a Subaru swap cheap by using subie exhaust manifold, radiator, etc. Search "pokevan no more" for my build notes
mcamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

If price range needs to go up to be realistic so be it. Just really looking for best option and money well spent or bang for buck on upgrade and reliability.
mcamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

The other option is to rebuild the ac motor and upgrade the hell out of everything to give it a few more HP. Still $$$ but should be less work for other systems.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air cooled conv to something better.. Reply with quote

That's a perfectly viable option; not cheap, but hands down the least complicated way forward.

y u rune klassik?
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air-cooled conversion to something better? Reply with quote

Would not be an option for me. The camper special which was the highly recommended option was more than my subaru.
I doubt theres an option for less than 6 w a water cooled engine when your paying for labor. Im not sure there is an aircooled option for less than 6 when you consider the costs of labor.

Mcamp, what would you be upgrading the hell out of to get more horses? I deff didnt find any reasonable upgrades avail when I was considering the fate of my pancake motor.

But Im not looking back now.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air-cooled conversion to something better? Reply with quote

mcamp wrote:
Looking to upgrade engine and possibly transmission depending on upgrade. I have an 81 Cali air cooled (live in Houston) and want to add power and “reliability “ to van.

..... Texas heat is hard on air cooled. I’m not looking for super power just something that can get me up to speed without getting out to push.

Any conversions doable in the 5k-7k range? I would have to have a shop do it.

Open to any option really. ....

edit: meant to add:

some of the air to water cooled swap work can be done now but still leave the van in running condition. e.g. cut rad grill hole, install rad/fan/wiring, long coolant pipes, swap heat exchange boxes/install heater core, hoses. Obviously this adds to the swap costs

If an inline VW engine was of any interest to you, and you have time or a timeline that would allow this, you could start researching relevant info now, gather diesel vanagon parts (oil pan etc), good used engine or donor car, harness, ecu etc then get a shop with relevant experience to install that. Or, buy a basic install kit from FAS:

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories...stall-kit/

get a finished wiring harness, get a shop to install all the stuff. You'd likely be beyond the $7K limit but if the used engine you buy is ok, you could get some miles out of the swap before any major normal wear/tear (engine bearings etc.) happens and you'd likely end up under the cost of a complete "turn key" swap done by a swap parts seller. e.g. 1.8T or FAS conversion.

If you have the space, find a running donor car, do a compression test, inspect it overall, hire someone to pull the engine and all relevant bits, part out the car if you want, then work from there.

Those tactics might well work within a similar price range with a Suby swap.

The installer likely wouldn't offer any real warranty but then most swaps involve used engines or refreshed used engines; the engine usually, typically, remains an unknown. i.e. good luck finding a crate Zetec engine. Wink A 2.5 Subaru crate? Maybe? Likely? Last I checked, you can get a swap with a new VW 1.8T or new VW inline 4 gas engine but then the price bumps up considerably.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
mcamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air-cooled conversion to something better? Reply with quote

If it’s over 6k then I just need to plan for that.

The upgrades for air cooled I’ve seen are bigger heads, different fuel injection system, new air intake, exhaust upgrade, and added oil cooler capacity. Some have regeared as well.

The air cooled Porsche engine sounds like a great idea. Most I’ve seen haven’t been able to fit without modifying the engine cover
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air-cooled conversion to something better? Reply with quote

I like the TDI. Good motor there. Sounds like you need to buy some wrenches.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air-cooled conversion to something better? Reply with quote

mcamp wrote:
If it’s over 6k then I just need to plan for that.

I'd guess you have this in mind but [edited] with some swap/upgrades], and its easier "said" than done, prepare for cost over runs or at least for the entire project to cost more than the estimate.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
mcamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air-cooled conversion to something better? Reply with quote

Would not object to TDI swap. The GoWesty folks sound like that’s not the best conversion but I wouldn’t oppose it. Would have loved to have kept my Jetta tdi and put it in but I did the recall and took the money and ran.

Sounds like cheapest would be keep and upgrade air cooled then Subaru swap then bostig or tdi somewhere above Subaru.

Just tired of the drama of trying to start it every time and then watching temps rise on highway and people blow past me.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 Cali air-cooled conversion to something better? Reply with quote

mcamp wrote:
Would not object to TDI swap. The GoWesty folks sound like that’s not the best conversion but I wouldn’t oppose it. Would have loved to have kept my Jetta tdi and put it in but I did the recall and took the money and ran.

GoWesty's old anti-diesel article is very out of date and misleading. I wonder if they've changed their views?

It seems to me that the all-around best diesel option is mtdi.

An AAZ should be a little cheaper and simpler, but not too much. You would save money on transmission regearing at least.

I'm thinking that if I were to attempt an engine conversion in an AC van, I'd really like to have access to a parts van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: