Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where can I get keys cut from code?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

I emailed aircooledkeys.com and he doesn't cut copies even if I have the key code. Odd. Where else can I get a copy from my key code made?
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1169789

I haven't used him yet. Just have to key the code from the back of the locks this Sunday.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Could not find anyone that would cut the keys. I had three blankes. Sooo i decided to cut a key myself with small files... 15 minutes later, and many test lock and unlocks, I had a copy. Workds perfect...
-Derek-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

Broadway Locksmith in Seattle cut a brass key to code for me and then used that to duplicate onto logo'd steel blanks that I provided. Came to about $40 and they did it all in 10 minutes. Five stars, would do business with again.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

I had a local locksmith do this for me. Call around.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

WestfaliaMike wrote:
I had the same problem. Could not find anyone that would cut the keys. I had three blankes. Sooo i decided to cut a key myself with small files... 15 minutes later, and many test lock and unlocks, I had a copy. Workds perfect...

can you tell me how to translate the codes into cuts?
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:

i've called. no one does it or charges an arm and a leg for it.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

http://steveslockshop.com/

This is who I used.
I removed my door handle, took down the code, contacted him and he cut me keys, he supplied OEM keys. The OEM blanks were the bulk of the bill.
Excellent service.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

Unless you’re specifically looking for an online shop, it’d help if you’d state where you’re located.

When I did this years ago, I had no trouble finding a local locksmith to do it. However, he refused to cut the steel OEM blanks I had, claiming that’d be too hard on his tools.
I had no issue getting his brass key copied on my OEM blank in another local shop, a hardware store in this case.
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:
Unless you’re specifically looking for an online shop, it’d help if you’d state where you’re located.

When I did this years ago, I had no trouble finding a local locksmith to do it. However, he refused to cut the steel OEM blanks I had, claiming that’d be too hard on his tools.
I had no issue getting his brass key copied on my OEM blank in another local shop, a hardware store in this case.

I'm in San Francisco
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

rty1138 wrote:
davideric9 wrote:

i've called. no one does it or charges an arm and a leg for it.

I had it done at a local locksmith
its not rocket science, yes it costs money

once you pay for the first code cut key, about $30, you can just make copies of that key, about $6

since youre in the bay, you could ask thebuslab.com who they use
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

rty1138 wrote:
WestfaliaMike wrote:

I had the orginial key, and matched it up. You have no key at all?
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

WestfaliaMike wrote:
rty1138 wrote:
WestfaliaMike wrote:

I have keys. I think they're worn. I emailed Steve and he's gonna make them. Worth having a backup set.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:
steel OEM blanks I had, claiming that’d be too hard on his tools.

Steel blanks are hard on the cutting wheel, for sure. It wears the blade much more quickly than brass or nickel-plated brass does, and if you "catch" the wheel on the blank feeding too fast you can break the teeth.

A certain amount of wear & tear is inevitable, but with what *good* cutting wheels cost it's understandable to want to minimize it if possible. Genuine ILCO replacements for the KD50A machine we use where I work cost us over $125 each, and the last generic one we tried -- which cost "only" $85 -- wasn't worth a shit; cut worse than the worn wheel we'd just taken off and put right back on...
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

rty1138 wrote:
WestfaliaMike wrote:
rty1138 wrote:
WestfaliaMike wrote:

I have keys. I think they're worn. I emailed Steve and he's gonna make them. Worth having a backup set.

Good luck. I got got lucky with the file. I got tired of looking for someone to cut them.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

Das Bulli Haus can cut keys from code. Saw and talked to them at a CT VW show - cut a (copied) key made by them that day.

http://www.dasbullihaus.com/links/
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
wrudaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

Here's how I did it for an '87 Westie--> Call the local locksmiths. Not all of them will cut a key from a key code. Baldino's (they are on the internet with lotsa local locations) will cut a key from the key code for US$55. I just had a key cut at Artie's Lock and Key in Fairfax VA for $45 on July 2, 2018.
Make sure they have the right key in stock before you go there. ILCO X9 73VB is the key to ask for. If they don't stock ILCO, they can cross-reference. There are keys that LOOK like they fit, but they don't, so make sure it's the right key before they cut it. Oh yeah, be sure you bring the lock with you to the locksmith.
When they look up the four-digit key code, they'll ask for the prefix letter on the key code. Mine had no prefix, so tell them it's the letter N. The easiest place to find the key code is on the sliding door lock shaft... the shaft is chrome plated and the numbers are clear. I found corrosion on the driver and passenger door handles, but was able to scrape it off. The numbers all matched.
The new key has a sharp, distinct profile and mine worked great on all the Westie's locks. Also, get an extra key cut, so you don't lose the only one you have on the way home.
Good Luck.

- 1967 Bug (Rust in Peace)
- 1968 Westfalia (Gone but not forgotten)
- 1976 Westfalia
- 1987 Westfalia
- 1991 Vanagon
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

i used [email protected] - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8733996

in 2014 it was $37 for two keys. i could have really just had one key cut, then had a copy made.

the ignition and the door locks are all worn so they don't care. a screwdriver or piece of wood would probably work on those. the rear hatch however, took an awful lot of wiggling to unlock.

the new key opened the rear hatch easily. funnily, the ignition didn't like it as much - i guess the wear meant the lock mechanism isn't the same.
Dogsled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

Same problem here. Mark1service won;t cut the Vanagon key. Tried local shops here in Denver - no luck. Either "Key too old" or they don't do that service. WTF, did not think this should be difficult.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I get keys cut from code? Reply with quote

Two options for you

---- Mail order from OR

Leyah and Shawn at Ye Old Lockshop in Hood River OR
http://www.sstlockshop.com/contact.html
(541) 386-5270
[email protected]
1311 13th St, Hood River, OR 97031

They are a couple of cool young folks that took over this "can do anything" long-standing lock shop a few years ago.

You will have to provide proof of ownership

--- NM local – (this is just for Albuquerque folks, read below)

I just called who I had my last Vanagon key-by-code done and they still do it.

Talked to Katrina there. Asked her about posting here and she said if I include that they like to deal with local only just in case there are any issues with the key they want to see the lock and the shipping is something they usually don't deal with.

Katrina says the key code will be on the handle something from N1 and N9282 (IIRC I had mine on the cylinder)

They charge $25-$45 depending on which blank it is.

So that being said, if you happen to be driving through or already local this is the place.

--- another option

I’m in ABQ and if for some reason either of the above don’t make sense for you, I might be willing to use Bill’s locally to have a key made for you for a fee though my little startup vanagon business www.supervanagon.com. IDK what the fee would be and really I would suggest Ye Old Lockshop in Hood River for most folks as they are AWESOME!

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: