Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Propex would you run for Winter Camping?
HS2000 with 6500 btu and 1.9kwatts for $725
51%
 51%  [ 17 ]
HS2800 with 9500 btu and 2.8kwatss for $875
48%
 48%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 33

montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Seems to me you need more air flow. I am thinking you don't have sufficient circulation. What I mean is that you don't have a good return for your cold air to circulate. I would think that having a duct for cold air return would help. I would have your hot go towards your cabinets and run the cool were your hot is now. Never used a propex but a little buddy would easily heat up the van in 20-30 degree weather no window insulation pop top up and I think it's only 3800 btu

That's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking the hot air is rising up from the output vent right beneath the bed and staying there long enough to get pulled back into the cool air intake. I hypothesize that the area under my bed gets nice and toasty while the rest of the van only slowly heats up as heat "spills out" from underneath the bed.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

^^^^
I actually think that your heater is starved for cold air. So lets say air goes in then comes out. And lets say it goes up by 1 degree per pass so in 30 out 31 degrees per 1/4 cubic feet. Total volume of van lets say 10x5x8 400 cubic feet. So you would need 1600 passes to raise temp by 1 degree. Once total temp is 31 then heater would raise to 32 and so on. If inlet volume is reduced it would take more total passes.

If you look at a house with forced air you will see inlet that is much larger than individual outlets, I'm guessing they match in area. I'm thinking that your heater is not drawing enough air and that there is a sensor limiting total heat output and its only heating a small percentage of it's total capacity. So if only 1/16 cubic feet is being heated (drawn in through inlet) per pass it will be on a long time to heat up your 400 cubic feet of air instead of 1600 passes it would require 6400 passes.

So it's not about heating air in one spot then moving and heating onother spot. Rather it's heating the total area. Remember heat moves from hot to cold.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

this is the heated output in Mom's espar install.
it's T-d into the base as well in case bedding blocks the outlet air still escapes..
more pics on page3 in my gallery
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witchdoc007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

I installed a Propex HS2000 in a my rig a few years ago and used it for less than 20 hours tops when it failed. I had to pay a technician to uninstall it and then send it to the manufacturer (in England) because there was no local dealer and the factory rep said they wouldn't know what was wrong unless I sent it back. That cost $230. They then quoted me about $200 to replace the unit's logic board, and then I would also have to pay the shipping back because they would not warranty it since it was over a year old. This would amount to about the same cost as a brand new one. I will never buy another Propex product.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

Witchdoc007 wrote:
I installed a Propex HS2000 in a my rig a few years ago and used it for less than 20 hours tops when it failed. I had to pay a technician to uninstall it and then send it to the manufacturer (in England) because there was no local dealer and the factory rep said they wouldn't know what was wrong unless I sent it back. That cost $230. They then quoted me about $200 to replace the unit's logic board, and then I would also have to pay the shipping back because they would not warranty it since it was over a year old. This would amount to about the same cost as a brand new one. I will never buy another Propex product.

Sweet first post!
Some people call him Maurice...
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

Witchdoc007 wrote:

Your experience reads rather odd and dishonest: Did you buy the unit in the USA? If so, did you attempt to contact ME - the USA distributor and warranty/repair center? Apparently not - OR you bought it on eBay from a UK seller who is forbidden to sell in the USA. These 'gray-market' units are not warrantied in the USA. Also, the warranty is TWO YEARS. No units sold inside the USA would have to 'be sent back to England' for warranty. Further, your quotes for shipping and a PCB are both false. Please explain the precise situation further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mugford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

Hi Karl,

Bought a Propex and it works great but the vent covers broke within days, they couldn't withstand light finger pressure before the webbing broke. Can you recommend a stronger replacement that fits in the existing hole?

http://www.westyventures.com/hs2211%20(23).JPG
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

mugford wrote:
Hi Karl,

Bought a Propex and it works great but the vent covers broke within days, they couldn't withstand light finger pressure before the webbing broke. Can you recommend a stronger replacement that fits in the existing hole?

http://www.westyventures.com/hs2211%20(23).JPG

Where were they installed that they received constant finger pokes? I've not seen on that fragile, unless it was already fractured by some other means.
The only option in that hole size is those or the 'closable' version, shown on the right here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 2000 style square / rotating ones can be used but require a 3.75" hole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mugford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

I broke some of it during the install not knowing how fragile they were. The rest was taken care of by my 6yr old boys... urgh.

I think a replacement webbing made out of CNC'd aluminum would be a nice little project... : )

Thanks
ianNJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

First real night with the Propex HS2000

The unit is under the bench seat. Both ports are right there coming out under the seat. The thermostat/switch is in the back of the trunk area. It is 23 F degrees. The unit temp is about 3/4. We have the window insulation on and top down. No other added insulation to door panels yet.

I’m sleeping in boxers and a t shirt and am comfortable. My wife is in a T and sweats and not complaining at all. The van fees perfect! The unit has not come off but you can feel the temp by the switch is definitely cooler vs where the main heat is.

I’m a happy camper!

90 GL Frankenstine w/Boxeer 2.0 TDI CR, Peloquin TBD
RIP - 2003 Eurovan

Instagram @ian.Surfside

*if you known someone that struggles with addiction let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

Having a heater is a game changer for winter camping. Open up the cupboard doors so that stuff won't freeze when it really gets cold. Also hanging a divider between the chairs and sleeping area will let you stay warmer and conserve propane.

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
hanging a divider between the chairs and sleeping area will let you stay warmer and conserve propane.

+1. We hang a blanket to block off the cab area from the rest of the van when it's in the lower 30s. The propex was our best upgrade. Happy Winter Camping!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

+++11
and not even for winter camping.. slept comfortably in Sept in 8in snowfall in Yellowstone and 18* nights at Grand Canyon's north rim.. I use the top bunk and am comfy.
Syncro Jael wrote:
Having a heater is a game changer for winter camping. Open up the cupboard doors so that stuff won't freeze when it really gets cold. Also hanging a divider between the chairs and sleeping area will let you stay warmer and conserve propane.

Cheers.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Which Propex: HS2000 or HS2800 Reply with quote

An easy way to block off the upper bunk when sleeping down below is to fold out the bed platform then grab the far end of the cushion on the platform and fold it back to the front. The snaps act as a hinge point and you can push the cushion tight up against the front of the pop top. Works great and only takes 30 seconds to undo when you get up.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: