Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Simply Amazing Second Air Force Popcorn

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I think I have a green goin’ buggy, but it fell and is missing stuff. When it fell, I glued it back together and you can’t really tell.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Second Air Force wrote:

Here's a further update on the big sedan. First a couple of photos of the final pan-to-body joining.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You're going to strangle me for noticing this, but the rear seat footwells in the floorpan didn't appear until 1949.
Have you consider grafting in the Kubel floorpans?

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

You know, I never even thought about the pan being different. When I started this project in the 1990s I didn't have access to the depth of knowledge that exists today, just a few books with photos of wartime Kafers. I'm glad you pointed out the difference, but the car's been finished for a few months already so I'll just leave it "as is". It's sitting quietly on my TV and I hate to disturb it!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It doesn't matter. I'll say this, I would never take on something that ambitious. That's likely to be the only large Typ. 51 model until one of the modelmakers offers one. Any vintage freak would love to display it.

Anxious for the wrap-up photos!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Well, it kind of does matter to me that the pan is incorrect, but I don't think I'll graft in new half-pans at this point. If I ever do another one (and I have another kit in the storeroom) I'll definitely correct it. It's important to me to do it accurately, but this was a fun build for me and not a contest model, so I reckon it'll stay as is.

Here's the trunk being fitted out. The liner was made of plain typing paper cut into the correct sections and shape and then sprayed black. Tools are from the spares box and Tamiya Kubel kit. I should also note that my scratchbuilt glove boxes are wrong for a wartime car (I used a couple of photos of a later split for that, not knowing the originals were metal) but that's another thing I'll leave for now.

The headlights were a PITA. I already showed how I made fender buckets from propeller spinners. The blackout covers were hard to figure out. I ended up using Tamiya masking tape painted grey and applied in a fashion that looks like the original.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

amazing work man , you just raised the bar for everyone else here!!!
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Whao . . . hold on . . I think I see one minor mistake looking at the latest photo above . . .

are you sure that the air pressure in the spare tire is correct Question Question

Otherwise . . the front section looks perfect to me Exclamation Exclamation Popcorn

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Incredible model!

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. Back in the 1990s I used to show models (cars and aircraft) as a competitive modeler so I still retain the obsessive gene from that ten year period. In fact, a lot of this kit was either built or planned during that time. Now I build for the fun and relaxation of it and I really have a lot more fun. And I enjoy every build on this thread, don't change a thing, keep building!!

With that being said, the inaccuracies of this one do bother me a little. There is just so much more information available since I started this car and I should have spent more time on The Samba and the web studying before finishing it. I just might build the other big kit in my collection as a Kommandeurwagen and make a better job of it! (Anybody got any pictures of a Typ 87 in North Africa?)

P.S.--Bob, the spare is flat! I forgot to air it up. Shocked

Here's a photo of the completed interior.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I like the way you fabricated the sunroof, and the carpet looks great too.

I also like the way you followed through on a stalled project.

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

The carpet and sunroof cover are made from a worn-out sock I kept just for this purpose. Idea

Yep, I've got many projects still in boxes, some from as far back as the 1980s. I built car models for a period in the '80s and '90s and that's when we were driving ACVWs so this model was a natural. I took a long sabbatical from modeling (and air-cooled vehicles) but once I got back into the swing I pulled this kit back out and started on it. That's when I got interested in The Samba and that led to our getting another 1/1 scale Beetle!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I've spotted new photos in the gallery, but I won't spoil the surprise.

Instead, I'll post photos of this kit, which I saw for sale on "the world's largest online auction site." It's a vintage IMC kit with an
extended wheelbase. A lot of thought went into it, along with many donor parts from other kits.

It's on a buy it now, so for anyone interested in owning this gem, search under "VW Drag Car by I.M.C. "

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Built models like that are really interesting to me--I find myself wanting to know more about the builder...….

Right now I'm working on a Macchi C.200 fighter plane kit that I bought on that large auction site that was nearly ready for paint when the original owner either quit or couldn't finish it. I'm gonna complete it partly for me and partly to "close the loop" on the prior builder's unfinished business.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

That's like what I did with the "GOIN' BUGGY."

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Yup, exactly right--kind of a tribute to the first builder/owner!

We were wandering through an antique store one morning and I found a pile of model airplanes that looked like something I would have collected. I was told the former owner had passed away and his kits ended up in the shop. We bought the whole bunch of them. It turned out he'd started several kits and was a pretty good builder. So, I've slowly finished about one of his models each year, completing the projects that an unknown comrade never was able to get done.
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Here is the C.200 I'm finishing for the first owner. He did a nice job on the cockpit and basic assembly, leaving me with what is really the best part of a Regia Aeronautica airplane--the camouflage!

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

harley quinn bug update, the fenders have been highly modified, that are NOT attached to the body of the car, they are attached to the brake backing plates, this means the fenders go up and down with the tires, and on the front, the headlights turn with the tires, i think that would be pretty cool.This modification is called "floating fenders", you see it done on 40's fords. I also had to modify the front to allow the tires to turn, as stock they are fixed position.

the fenders are just sitting there right now, too early for glue!

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Awesome idea!
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Here are a few photos of the completed wartime sedan. I had to dust it off to take these pictures--it's been sitting on the TV for a while...….

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 60

Jump to: