Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reviving Fuel injected Super.What are most common problem areas?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving Fuel injected Super.What are most common problem areas? Reply with quote

Thank you.

Does the resistor need to be grounded to chassis? It is connected, but I don't know if its to bare metal.

Temp sensor II looks very recent.

I replaced the injector seals 2 years ago and never ran it.

Thank you for telling me the FI system shuts down at 11.2 volts.

I'll run through the check list.

I should also do a compression test. If the compression is shot I'm just swapping out the motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving Fuel injected Super.What are most common problem areas? Reply with quote

No, the resistor is isolated from the chassis, no ground needed there, but the wires can break off from the ends of the ceramic cylinders inside, look at those closely.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Voltage drop when trying to start even a few seconds Reply with quote

Initially I charged up the old battery in there and it chugged away and tried to start firing a little.

Then I tried two known good batteries both pulled out of daily drivers

Just with the ignition on the battery voltage drops from 13.5 to 12.8 on the battery posts and 11.49 and dropping at the coil. When I run jumpers to my runnin truck which puts out 13.6 the coil goes to 12.2 and dropping
When I try and start it even for a few seconds voltage coil job well below 11 even down to 9.5.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving Fuel injected Super.What are most common problem areas? Reply with quote

Can I run the starter off a separate battery?

It looks like my voltage drop is affecting my fuel injection engaging.

Randyinmaine suggests a new starter wire and ground cable. This is great advice on any 40 year old car, but for the moment I need to get this thing running to assess the situation.... before I throw more money at it.

I was thinking I would pull the starter wire connector at the starter and connect my bump starter to the positive of a separate battery and connect the negative terminals of the starter and the battery.

Would this fry anything.

Would this confuse the ECU and make this useless?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: