Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash Mounted Tweeter
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

I'm thinking of flush mounting a pair of MBQuart tweeters in the corners of my dash. Has anyone does this? Would I need to remove the dash? It looks like I can maybe get enough access by removing the vents, gauge cluster, and glovebox.

This photo shows the MBQuart trim ring.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
Farfromslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

They wonít be aimed very well there, you can build a mount in the corner of the windshield out of filler pretty easily, and aim them exactly where you want.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

I bought tweeters similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Super-Power-Speaker-...0-99999999

And mounted them like this:

This locations works great.
Later, I was able to find much better tweeters that fit in the same shell, so I could retain the mounting brackets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

I'm a big believer in not drilling holes in original parts like the dash, this location works well for a tweeter. I have a large mid-range speaker mounted lower on the door and the cross-overs behind the glovebox. The door cards had already been altered by the PO, so didn't mind making changes there.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
You can lead a person to reason but you can't make them think.
The internet is like a toilet, useful but full of crap.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

Aiming them is very important. Otherwise, dont bother.
They need to be pointed right at your head.

I too did not want to drill holes in the original dash so I made some brackets from bent aluminum and foam taped them to the pillar in the corner. They are very discrete. Wires run up behind No drilling required.

Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

I have placed several tweeters in dashes that point in a favorable position. I believe you'll be fine in that location. It will probably sound great too. You will have to cut the vinyl with an Xacto blade, then cut the cardboard behind it. I have used a dremel to cut the board. Just cut the vinyl first.

If the tweeter is going in an air duct, then drill/dremel a small hole for the wires to exit the duct. If the hole is not pretty, soak the fragments in 5 minutes epoxy and drill the hole again.

It's a Vanagon, not a sound stage.

Last edited by Butcher on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

FWIW That's where i put them.
I tilt them at me as much as possible.
Sounds and looks good to me.
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

Iím not 100% decided yet. Thanks for the ideas. I too am reluctant to cut into the dash of a classic vehicle.

I pulled the glovebox and disconnected the hose off of the vent on the right side. It looks like there is plenty of room to flush in the tweeter. I need to explore the left side. That will probably involve pulling the cluster and dropping the fuse panel to get access.

I still need to mount the crossovers and cabling so will thing about the tweeter location while I do those things.

Patrick

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

Tweeters can be placed in the corners and reflected off the windshield. It isn't as good as pointing them directly towards yourself, but it can certainly be good enough, and is very commonly done.

I simply attached tweeters to the dash with double -sided tape so I didn't have to cut holes.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

Holes #93 and 94 of 317 Iíve drilled in my van. 😆

Dash removal is not necessary - you can access by removing the vents as you mentioned. I did not drill completely through the dash, just ran the screws into it 1/4Ē it so. Doesnít take much. Double sided tape would probably be fine too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

Go for the door! These sound terrific in this location and you don't have to hack the dash.
Grilliac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

A racquet ball worked for me

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

^^^ Brilliant! Cool

- Dave

PS: Sweet first post! Very Happy Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^ Brilliant! Cool

- Dave

PS: Sweet first post! Very Happy Wink

Agreed
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

the main issue is the off-axis response of the tweeter (usually poor)

you want them either facing you, or reflecting off the windshield as per posts above

the MBQuarts are high quality so I would not compromise them by a bad mounting location (like the door or flush on the dash)

Now... where can I buy black racquetballs?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

My MBQ tweeters mounted on the dash in the same spot as chimivee. I ran the wires up the side of the dash.

I disagree with the notion that a tweeter sounds great in the door. I had mine installed there and each front seat passenger hears the tweeter on the opposite door but not the tweeter on their door. The high frequencies are unwilling to make the curve from the lower part of the door to the ear of the person seated adjacent.

Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

Don't punch a hole in your dash! Do this instead...

The middle of your defrost vent is a bit of plastic that gives you enough real estate for a tweeter without affecting the vent.

Did this mod maybe 4 years ago - works great.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

From everything I understand about tweeters, you really need to have them as close to ear level as possible and aimed towards your head to get the most out of them. I have mine attached to my carpet dash cover with Velcro. I was going to figure out some kind of bracket like the one buildyourown posted above to aim them a little better, but never got around to it. Love the racket ball solution, too! Anyway, I'm amazed at how the separate tweeter really improves the overall sound. With the other two component speakers in the doors and the crossovers mounted under the seats, I'm pretty darn happy with the sound quality. The 10" sub-woofer in the back helps, too. This is my third Westy and third speaker install/upgrade, and without a doubt, this is the best yet and I'm sure it's because I went with component speakers this time.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

tweeters handle high frequencies, and high frequencies 'beam' - they act almost like light beams

yes, you want them pointed at your ears and as close to that ht. as you can get - in new cars they are often mounted in the A pillars

tweeters will "work" in the doors but not nearly as well

the racquet ball mod is easy and cheap - a brilliant idea

Like those Focals!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Mounted Tweeter Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:
Without a doubt, this is the best yet and I'm sure it's because I went with component speakers this time.
[/img]

Yeah - the Focals are fabulous speakers!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: