Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Carbs on a SP 1600
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peavey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

this question must have been worded a thousand different ways and on the same topic and is almost needed in the stupid question bucket.

I have a Solex 30/pict3 at the moment and an aftermarket exhaust.

Is it worth purchasing Dual Carb setup instead of center-manifold and the stock?

(Breath in/Breath out methodology)

Is 34mm going to give me the happiness over the 30mm that I am lacking in performance?

Are the EMPI version of the Dual Baby Webers worth it?

what are your experiences on Dual Carbs on an SP, what do you run if you are running SP1600 Dual Carb?

I would love thought and opinions on these questions.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

I personally run a stock single 34PICT3 carb, but I think this thread covers many of the pro/cons of the different setups (single solex, single weber, dual carbs)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693900
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

You can also search for the specific carb(s) you are looking at too. Make sure to check mark the "title only" box to get the results narrowed too. (blue arrow)

Also check out the "Builds and Projects" threads to get an idea of what other people run and what types of 'adjustments' and such you can expect (purple arrow)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

edited for typos
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

You will notice a difference. Your mileage may improve. You WILL have to spend time jetting them right if you want them to work best. I say go for it. I would NOT go larger than 34's personally to keep the throttle response crisp.

Alternatively a single 34 pict on a center manifold with conversion end castings works great too.

For what it's worth I run dual single bbls on a dual port and once set they work great.

-Frank
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

ˇBienvenido a la Samba!

A single 34 won't gain ya much if any performance.
Suggest going dual carbs, it can easily be done.
I've used dual 40mm K-dogs upon engines as tiny as a warmed-up 40HP: 1385cc w/ balanced stock bottom end, 8lb flywheel, Norris 330S cam, stock 1300 SP heads, original Bosch 010 dizzy, S&S extractor. She ran fantastic & got decent mileage.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peavey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
ˇBienvenido a la Samba!

A single 34 won't gain ya much if any performance.
Suggest going dual carbs, it can easily be done.
I've used dual 40mm K-dogs upon engines as tiny as a warmed-up 40HP: 1385cc w/ balanced stock bottom end, 8lb flywheel, Norris 330S cam, stock 1300 SP heads, original Bosch 010 dizzy, S&S extractor. She ran fantastic & got decent mileage.

I have been ready about SVDA dizzy, is it worth the 009/010 setups? trying to work out the snake oil..
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

Depends upon the intent: looking for performance, or economy?
Some dizzys don't always play well w/out their native carb, & good bloody luck finding an original iron-bodied 010.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

Yes, Dual carbs make a big difference! Even a better single carb. The problem is finding manifolds. Here is a single Zenith Manifold Original Empi Zenith Single port manifold Price: 45 A Zenith NDIX 32 on a single port 1600 will out perform any the Solex or the Empi or the Holly bug spray. If you added 1.25 ratio rockers it would really be a huge improvement. The NDIX Porsche Throttle Body. without the crossover slot would be preferred with pictured single manifold.
As far as dual carbs I don't think any manifolds are available for Zeniths but the Weber ICT single manifolds are easy to find and this would be great on it too maybe even better MPG's than the single Zenith because Dual carbs warm up nicer. Here is a "Samba Ad".
Dual Kadrons I think have a manifold for single port 1600 engine too. Here is a thread where someone used Kadrons: dual carbs on single port.
ACN has new ones for the big bucks!

peavey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

there are some great feed back, thanks guys.

question, why does EMPI carbs get such a bad rep?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

peavey wrote:
there are some great feed back, thanks guys.

question, why does EMPI carbs get such a bad rep?

Because you have to take them apart and clean all the crap left inside during the manufacturing process.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peavey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Because you have to take them apart and clean all the crap left inside during the manufacturing process.

well thats shitty... might keep my cash counting for some different ones, cant be arsed to clean up blurs and junk.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

Kaddie Shack might be worth looking at.

FWIW - pay to have a vacuum port installed or do it yourself, if you have the confidence and skillset. Not hard to do. That port allowed me to install an SVDA distributor. Car ran like a beast. Was a stock 1600, I installed a set of larger valved heads on it too! Better exhaust too!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

Back in the early 80's I ran dual Kadrons, an 009 and a single 1 3/8" muffler. It really perked up the stock 1600 engine. Very reliable and low maintenance too.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

To the OP.

ALL (!!!!!) new carbs should be taken apart and cleaned before installing. No exceptions.

Empi used to make a lot of crap and they still do. They also make a lot of good products. Their single ICT' copies work. They ARE sensitive to fuel pressure and many have reported throttle shaft wear on them after time. I find all carbs suffer from this after much use. That is repairable however.

My "shitty" dual pdsit solexes that everyone knocks here have been on my car for 40k miles and they are doing just fine. They too have no throttle shaft bearings like the empi or even real weber ict's. You'll be fine with them if you choose to get them.

A bit of advice: pdsit's have tiny vents out of the box. The commonly available upgrade is 28 mm and may be kind of large for a stock motor.

Ict's or the empi equivalent have 27 mm vents and are more suited to your motor from the box!

Kadrons I have no direct personal experience with apart from tuning a few sets on cars but they seem to work fine. I CANNOT justify their cost though. Empi makes a new K-series carb that are copies and cheaper than the "real" thing. They probably work too.

Like Mr.Tucker says you have to be smarter than what you are working on.

-Frank
peavey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
To the OP.

ALL (!!!!!) new carbs should be taken apart and cleaned before installing. No exceptions.

Empi used to make a lot of crap and they still do. They also make a lot of good products. Their single ICT' copies work. They ARE sensitive to fuel pressure and many have reported throttle shaft wear on them after time. I find all carbs suffer from this after much use. That is repairable however.

My "shitty" dual pdsit solexes that everyone knocks here have been on my car for 40k miles and they are doing just fine. They too have no throttle shaft bearings like the empi or even real weber ict's. You'll be fine with them if you choose to get them.

A bit of advice: pdsit's have tiny vents out of the box. The commonly available upgrade is 28 mm and may be kind of large for a stock motor.

Ict's or the empi equivalent have 27 mm vents and are more suited to your motor from the box!

Kadrons I have no direct personal experience with apart from tuning a few sets on cars but they seem to work fine. I CANNOT justify their cost though. Empi makes a new K-series carb that are copies and cheaper than the "real" thing. They probably work too.

Like Mr.Tucker says you have to be smarter than what you are working on.

-Frank

Man, this is some good intel, this is why I love this site, you cant get this experience without tried and tested.

I am still zeroing down on what I am getting. lots of prices and differences, I will still be asking odd questions, I believe in old school ideas, measure twice, cut once, so thx for all inputs but expect more.
peavey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

I am thinking either

Weber ICT and Empi EPC 34mm dual carburetor.

from what have I have read, the EPC has vacuum ports already, with the price I would be saving, I would get svda with vacuum advance too.

since I would have to pull both and check before usage, kinder floating over to EPC.

thoughts?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

Probably about the worst one!
peavey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Probably about the worst one!

lol.

I will keep coining my cash till I hit weber price range then.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

Rebuilt, old Kadrons, with the vacuum port modification. They are not Empi shit! Good investment, reliable and require very little tweaking after initially set. Empis change every other time you touch the car.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carbs on a SP 1600 Reply with quote

I have never tried Kadrons but I have heard as carbs go they are a couple of grades better. With the ICT's just below them. Above that would be probably Baby Dell's FRD-34's Don't know Baby Dells are so obsolete at least the Kadrons are still being made. Above that would be a Single Zenith NDIX. Then you need Dual Port heads to run the IDF & DRLA's for even better performance. Then better yet would be fuel Injection with the CB-Performance Throttle Bodies.

My Dell 36's on a 1679cc DP Engine with a W-100 Cam and Stock Exhaust.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: