Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper color suggestions with poll
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Color choices
Just stay white
88%
 88%  [ 30 ]
Black
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Commercial Grey
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Velvet Green
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 34

nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

I am thinking about pulling my wheels and bumpers and powdercoating all of them. I am considering doing something other than white. I was thinking about something like the commercial grey. Any thoughts on that? I tried searching for some non stock color bumpers but didnt find anything that look great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

I had a 65 westy, and the rear bumper I found for it was dark blue or black, I forget which.
After I rattle canned it white, friends told me that my bus was much more visible.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

white looks so good with velvet green, and it makes parking easier than black or green.

only thing i would ever consider would be red and white stripes like on a fire engine. Not so great for velvet green though

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

I voted White but do something like the stock color, which is not a bright white.

I've seen Grey like the hubcaps before, it looked weird.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I voted White but do something like the stock color, which is not a bright white.

I've seen Grey like the hubcaps before, it looked weird.

That is what I was thinking. I dont like the bright white look especially since my paint is pretty spotty. What is the color code for the bumpers?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

Check out this thread from the Bus FAQ for L-82 Silver White powdercoating:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267018
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

How about "aged" white like Skim did on his El Pavo Turkis bus?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
How about "aged" white like Skim did on his El Pavo Turkis bus?

I checked that out and it looks really cool on that bus. I think if I went with the aged look I might just stick with what I have. I might just end up going for a more gray white.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

Only because of the year... I'd go stock white (SB) because it calls out 'attention to detail' on your 3-year only rear bumper.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
JonnyCJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

I wouldn’t powered coat them. On a shiny just restored bus by all means, but your patina with shiny white bumpers wouldn’t look right.

See if you can get some OG bumpers with some patina and then it’ll look Cool

Not voting as patina white isn’t an option !
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

JonnyCJ wrote:
I wouldn’t powered coat them. On a shiny just restored bus by all means, but your patina with shiny white bumpers wouldn’t look right.

See if you can get some OG bumpers with some patina and then it’ll look Cool

Not voting as patina white isn’t an option !

Yah, this bus has had the bumpers repainted. I was actually considering stripping the repaint and just seeing whats underneath. Even if its rough I might go with that. Still not sure.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper color suggestions with poll Reply with quote

Well, they'll need to be sanded if you repaint them anyway, so start there! You might sand them to a point where they look good and have the right aged look.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: