Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThomasC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

I got my new project 1991 Carat and I noticed something odd. There was a drill bit sticking out of a hose? does anybody know what this is or where it leads to? Also, what are these other tanks? I know this is most likely a very simple question, but I can't find anything telling me what these do. Yes, I do have a Bentley, but I want a human to tell me what is what. Any help will be MASSIvely appreciated. I'm very new to all of this, being so young, and I want to learn EVERYTHING about it. Thanks in advance!
Very Happy Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Standard Beetle
2004 Golf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

I don't know why there's a drill bit coming out of that hose because I can't tell from your picture where it's supposed to go or what the other end is hooked up to. I'd say that's a really primitive attempt to plug a hose from some reason.

Your other photos:

- plug attached to alternator is a port for a defunct dealer testing machine. It is decorative now.

- The black tower is your crankcase breather. Releases crankcase pressure, oil blows by it you overfill (looking in mirror). Ignore it for now, not initially important.

- The tank with blue cap is your main coolant tank, under pressure, do not remove lid when hot. Looks nice and full that's good.

- The tank with the clear lid is your coolant overflow.

- The dipstick is your dipstick. You use it to check oil.

That's a big ole project you got there. Does it run?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

I have no idea why that hose is plugged with a drill bit or where it should go. Did you follow the other end to see where it ends?

The 3-pronged plug you're pointing to was used for some sort of diagnostic test and is obsolete, no longer used. You can ignore it.

The next photo shows the oil breather tower.

The tank with the blue cap is you coolant expansion tank and should always be totally or almost totally full with anti-freeze. It becomes pressurized so don't open that cap when the engine is hot.

The tank with the white cap behind the license plate is the coolant overflow tank. There's a MIN and MAX line on the right side of it to indicate the proper coolant level. That tank is not pressurized.

That stick-like thing with the loop on the end is your oil dipstick.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

First off, read your owner's manual. It answers a few of your questions and relates a plethora of other useful information.

The drill bit is plugging the hose. I can't say where the hose should go because I cannot see what it is connected to. Pulling the drill bit and seeing if if was connected to the coolant ring or to vacuum would help in determining where it goes.

The 3-pin connector on the alt is for the obsolete dealership diagnostic tool. It does nothing and can be ignored.

The black plastic tower you point to is the crank vent setup.

The tank with the blue cap is the pressure tank (coolant). It should always be completely full.

The tank with the white cap is the "burp' tank (also coolant). You should maintain the coolant level between the marks.

Next up is your engine oil dipstick. Keep the level at the center of the two marks.

Get rid of the K&N filter. They suck at filtering. Get quality paper element filter instead.
ThomasC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

Alright, I replaced the oil filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, oil, coolant, ATF, drained the gas tank, drained the lines, and I haven't attempted to start it yet, I'm hoping to try that today, but I want to make sure I don't blow anything up Shocked so, here's where this odd hose goes? thanks for the replies everyone, It's refreshing how nice the VW community is! Very Happy

1970 Standard Beetle
2004 Golf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

More pictures of the plugged end of the hose aren't going to help. You need to get dirty, crawl around under the van until you see what the other end of the hose connects to. Post a picture of that.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

- The tank with blue cap is your main coolant tank, under pressure, do not remove lid when hot. Looks nice and full that's good.

You can verify that it works by blowing into that nipple the hose is hooked up to. Fullness of the tank isn't much to go by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8Ew43mNg4 <— see this primer

If it doesn't work, you know how to test any replacement you get, when you get it running.

And get yourself some gloves…saves some time cleaning up afterwards.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThomasC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
More pictures of the plugged end of the hose aren't going to help. You need to get dirty, crawl around under the van until you see what the other end of the hose connects to. Post a picture of that.

Gotcha! I'll start now
1970 Standard Beetle
2004 Golf
danfromsyr
Samba Member

that is (was) for your cruise control system
the plugged hose would have gone into the back of the actuator that pulled on the throttle for you while in operation.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

Looks like the vacuum hose that attached to the cruise control actuator. Obviously, the cruise system wasn't working so they capped it off.

Pretty sure you can just disconnect the hose and forget about it until you want to start digging into the cruise system.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

that hose is for the cruise control.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
that hose is for the cruise control.

winner winner chicken dinner!!
Very Happy

The part number is for the cruise control vacuum pump

EDIT: darn it looks like I came late to the party ............ again Confused

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi

Last edited by 9.5isCanadian on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
ThomasC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

Alright, sweet! So no cruise control, but I am good to start the van without cruise control? Thx again!
1970 Standard Beetle
2004 Golf
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

Sure, why not what's the worse that could happen?

I'll answer that: the fuel lines need to be replaced, they're known to degrade d/t ethanol in modern fuels. If it fires up, great, turn it off and replace all the soft fuel lines from the tank to the injectors, and back. Hard lines are ok to leave. That should be done before the van gets on the road. well, and you need headlights, but guessing you noticed that. If you don't do this, your van could fire up in bad way...
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

More importantly, that drill bit tells you the previous owner and all work and maintenance duly performed was of dubious quality
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

I swear when I read the title the word was nose. I was expecting a thread full of blood and tales of woe. Disappoint I am.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

Especially since in fact that hose doesn't need to be plugged except to prevent mud dauber packing.. the hose is not connected to nor does it effect engine performance.
Abscate wrote:
More importantly, that drill bit tells you the previous owner and all work and maintenance duly performed was of dubious quality

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Especially since in fact that hose doesn't need to be plugged except to prevent mud dauber packing.. the hose is not connected to nor does it effect engine performance.
Abscate wrote:

Ive got it. PO was saving money by using a drill bit instead of a whole drill.

Wouldn't that need to be plugged to prevent a vacuum leak - or are there check valves in line?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

Vacuum is generated by the electric pump. CC is a stand alone system unrelated to the engine except for the vacuum actuator (missing here).

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Is There A Drill-Bit Sticking Out Of My Hose? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Vacuum is generated by the electric pump. CC is a stand alone system unrelated to the engine except for the vacuum actuator (missing here).

Enlightenment is burst upon me like 1000 supernovae.

Separate CC vacuum - that doesn't suck. Well, it does actually.

Can we tell the next guy who asks what a hose is for, that it is for storing drill bits?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: