Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help filling my coolant system...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Need help filling my coolant system... Reply with quote

Hello All,
I'm working on an engine install. It's a FAS Pumpe Duse 1.9 diesel engine kit. I'm using a Mityvac coolant system test/refill kit. I followed instructions and did the vacuum test and the system held at approximately 23 inches of mercury, which is what is outlined in the instructions.
I then filled the system with coolant like instructed. The instructions say once the gauge reaches zero inches of mercury the system is filled. I'd say at about 12 inches of mercury (on the gauge) my coolant bottle was just above the max. I was instructed by FAS that the tank should read between the max and min mark when filled. I'm also using a smallcar front A/C unit with no rear heater. Speaking with FAS we thought maybe the electric valve was not opening but upon later inspection I concluded there was coolant making it through the valve into the front heater core.
My coolant system has only one coolant tank which is where I used the vacuum gauge.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm not too familiar with this bleeding procedure. With my last Subaru conversion I used a pump and forced coolant through the system until full then did the final bleed through the radiator once running.
Is it possible that air is trapped in the system even after using the vacuum pump? I've since drained all the coolant and re-tested the system under vacuum and its holding firm at 23 inches on the gauge.
I'm just about ready for the initial start up attempt and this project has been going on tooooo long. Any advice would be great, Thanks !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help filling my coolant system... Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but your cooling system looks to be similar to the home-brewed version for my ALH install. I simply filled the system with the required coolant amount and then fired it up and let the reservoir tell me to add more as needed. Once it started to warm up, I screwed the lid on and cracked the front bleeder screw. I've done it twice just like this and have had zero issues with excess trapped air. I'm not familiar with the vacuum filling technique, but I don't think it's really necessary

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help filling my coolant system... Reply with quote

Thanks for that Casey. That's similar to the way I did my Subaru but I used a pump to force the coolant through.
I'm thinking with this current issue I'm having , I may just try it again with vacuum system and if I get the same results I'm just going to keep filling and see what happens. I was thinking I can always bleed the extra out through the radiator.
On the first attempt I noticed when I pulled the gauge off, the coolant level dropped way down almost emptied the bottle. Before I pulled the gauge the level was just above the MAX level which from the instructions I was given was too much. Im going to guess the bottle is going to fill way up and then when I pull the gauge its going to drop right where it needs to be.
I'll come back in a few days with the results.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help filling my coolant system... Reply with quote

If you can find a steep hill to park on, where the coolant reservoir is higher than the radiator bleeder, just bleed the radiator then fill the reservoir. Even better if you can do this with the van running.

I didn't run the engine because I have rear disc parking brake, need it to be in granny gear with engine off. At least I thought so.... After this it needed one reservoir topoff and it was done.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help filling my coolant system... Reply with quote

Great Picture Sodo! So I went about using the Mityvac approach to fill the coolant again, as FAS recommends in their manual. I filled the system and it went up past the level that I was told to be the "Full" mark. You will see in the picture where it stopped filling . The "Full" mark is actually just below the seam around the center of the bottle, but the more I thought about it wouldn't it would be impossible to stop filling at that mark since I was using a vacuum and basically I was replacing an area void of air with coolant and the coolant would have to entirely fill that area to be full and NOT be able to stop short without letting air into the area? I hope I explained that the way I'm seeing it in my head.
Anyway, I filled the system. Next I clear codes and then should be able to crank it over.
I can always suction out the extra coolant if need be. Wondering if I should just do it before start up and add it back if it starts getting low.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: