Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is up with these rods?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: What is up with these rods? Reply with quote

I came across a terrific deal for these 40 hp rods. They appear to be new or at least completely rebuilt. Can anyone tell me what the 30 indicates. Are they stock, and ready to be assembled into a motor? Or do I need to somehow match up bearings or some specific size? Any insight would be most appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: What is up with these rods? Reply with quote

Doug .. I believe 30 means "for you today only, $30" ;^ )
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What is up with these rods? Reply with quote

Umm, that literally never occurred to me.

So, probably stock bearings?

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What is up with these rods? Reply with quote

Bearing size is totally dependent on your crank journals.
These used rods certainly appear to have been honed to size (which suggests the caps were shaved).
The small end bushings were likely replaced.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What is up with these rods? Reply with quote

OK thank you very much. I’ll do some measuring and see what I come up with.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: