Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine gasket layout
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

use a single port intake manifold gasket there instead…..
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:
use a single port intake manifold gasket there instead…..

Thanks for posting that, I was trying to remember what I had used in the past and I have used that and can confirm it works.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

that would explain why I don't see it. Thanks for that.
but isn't the single port intake manifold gasket "metal/tin/aluminum"?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

Yes it is but I never had trouble with it leaking anything.

I guess if it got a lot of fluid I could see it more prone to leakage over a paper/cardboard seal.
It does crush though, same as the seal for the large center nut on the oil drain plate and that doesn't leak.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Yes it is but I never had trouble with it leaking anything.

I guess if it got a lot of fluid I could see it more prone to leakage over a paper/cardboard seal.
It does crush though, same as the seal for the large center nut on the oil drain plate and that doesn't leak.

good point. I didn't think of the oil drain seal.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

Here is the gasket set for type 4 engine I got for my 2056. Picture is from CSP website. There are several variations of the parts inside the kit, depending on the type 4 engine (1.7l, 1.8-2.0l 74-78, 2.0l 914, 2.0l 79-83).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here is a description of the gaskets in the kit:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/GasketSet.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TryToBeOriginal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

Looking at the 40hp gasket kit from WW what are the copper rings? there are 2 sizes, 4 of each. Just right of the head gaskets and then just below to the right of the exhaust gaskets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

#1 Four rocker stud seals (do not use on heads which only have a chamfer around the base of the stud)

- can someone expound upon this? A buddy of mine got new 040 CB heads and they have an indent for these o-rings. I have a new set of 041's from Mofoco and there isnt an indent. Am I supposed to use these o-rings?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
chrswlsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

The big copper hollow rings are for the "stale air" motors. There's a lip on the head and cylinders where it goes. Look up stale air motors There's some good pics and the differences
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions about the type 1 dual port intake manifold gaskets. Are they metal/tin? Why do I have a pair of felt/cardboard gaskets in my set?

And what's the best type of gasket sealer to use here, if any? Think
1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
superstarvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

This is a very useful post, especially for people like me who build a motor every decode or so...

Like the previous poster, I think it would also be really useful to know where to use Gaskacinch (or other sealants) together with the gaskets (or when not to). I have read many articles, and watched videos, read the books, and its not always clear. And probably there is not always a best practice, just opinions.

based on a previous posted diagram, I just quickly 'drafted' a version (below). I would love some feedback. This is probably one of those can'o'worms like which particular sealer to use between case halves, or what oil to use, but I would find the focused discussion useful, and perhaps others would too.

My motor is almost done. Though all summer long I have learned not to expect a finish date, I think it's going in next weekend!

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine gasket layout Reply with quote

Useful thread, thanks for putting here years ago. Gasket part numbers would be neat, but I’m too much of a douche to contribute!

Can’t believe no one has ever raged about the title of this thread not specifying which type of engine the gasket set is for, or how we need separate threads for Type 1 Fuel Injected engines, Industrial engines, Type 3 engines...

What was the last page count on the Crimps vs. Soldering saga? Like 16 pages?
Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: