Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Me Change my Career
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

ONe of our friend's kid finished Theology - was unemployed for a year after graduation. Owed lots of money from student loans. Now works for Starbucks to support himself living back at his parents house.

I told my oldest that if she had picked a degree that was absolutely useless and spent all that college money we had saved for her - I will freaking disown her. Laughing She is only 24 and working on her Nurse Practioner. My son has another year of IT school at the university. I hope he did not make a mistake. I will give him a year to live at home and save all he can after school. He will finish without any debt too. The least I could do.

I look forward to seeing all my income go to my freaking retirement. I have some time to build it up if I don't drop dead. Laughing

I maintain two homes - one in the midwest and one in northern VA where I live. I can tell you it is not cheap here on the east coast.

My advice if I may to the OP is maybe check Law Enforcement careers. Theology is fine if that is what you want to do. But these days, you have to
configure your career to what is marketable.

My personal goal is to finally own my farm once the last kid is out of school and I pay off my home shortly. I will try to save every damn penny so me and wifey can enjoy a little bit before we get too old.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

The best advice my Dad ever gave me:

" Find something you like & stick with it. "

I did - electrical work.

Got married young - had (4) kids - built a successful electrical contracting business.

Then - after 17 years of marriage - wife took up the bottle - the rest went down a shit hole.

Don't marry - stay single.

The rest is relatively easy .....
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

People will always need to eat and people will always need medical care no matter what else happens in this world. In high school I took Vo-Tech class to be a TV repairman. Good job back then but obsolete today.

Quote:

That sounder fun when I was in my 30's & 40's but now that I'm looking at 60 it is boring and lonely being single and I'm facing old age being alone with nobody to share life with.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Isn't that monkey company? sorry couldn't resist
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Different idea here. Hit the gym get in shape get a job with cruise lines, you’ll be entertaining the older single and widow ladies. You’ll have to be a good conversationalist and ballroom dancer among other things. You may also be asked to perform certain duties for which you’d receive an additional compensation if you know what I mean.

I like this idea. You're young (ish) and unattached, you have the freedom few of us do. Take advantage and do something interesting or even crazy. You could live on cruise ships and rent out your house. Hopefully you have friends or family that live nearby and can help keep an eye on the place. You'll still have to pay a management company, but you can take over from them when you get back. Beyond that, I can just offer my personal philosophy:

The reason we work is to obtain money to fund our lives. No more, no less. Once you accept that fact, it is a simple matter of optimizing the dollars earned per unit of suck. Note that's optimize, not maximize. A park ranger or social worker making $40K can be in heaven, while an executive making $500K can be miserable. It's all about your personal happiness.

I just got back from a week long cruise in Hawaii. I'll tell you this-- about 75% of the employees on that ship were foreigners, mostly islanders, and they're only working that job to send money back to their piss poor families. I was astonished at how few Anglotypes I saw working on that boat, and the majority of those had upper level (re: executive management) positions. Another thing- you work on a cruise ship, you STAY on the cruise ship. Some folks who sign up for this think by doing so they get to visit a bunch of exotic locales. Nope- unless you count my stateroom (& non-flushing toilet) an exotic locale.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

My 2 cents:
1- as stated earlier, whatever you pick as a future job do it NOW. At 36 you're still young enough to "get er done". I'm soon 56 and it's to late for me. Many regrets.

2-You say you like working with kids. Become a teacher. I taught Sunday School for 10 years and LOVED it. 3rd and 4th grade. It was hard to tell who had more fun, me or the kids. I wish I would have become a teacher. Fresh faces & new challenges every year. I wish I had chosen that profession but believe it or not, I HATED school as a kid. I'm not a "book smart" guy but I knew how to relate and interact with kids. If you have that attachment with kids explore that profession.

3-I've thought about doing the rental thing and talked to many about it. Some liked it and made money, some hated it and lost money. I was a deacon at my church and we had to deal with numerous cases involving renters and landlords. It got ugly at times.

4- IMO, you're in "no mans land" when it comes to meeting a woman. Chances are you'll meet one with kids already and that is rarely fun. Ask someone who has been down that road when dealing with step children and ex spouses. My advice is to stay single. I like the saying "the more I get to know people, the more I like my dog".

Weigh all your options, get as much info as you can, make a decision and don't look back. Good luck

Last edited by Dwayne1m on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Quote:

That sounder fun when I was in my 30's & 40's but now that I'm looking at 60 it is boring and lonely being single and I'm facing old age being alone with nobody to share life with.

Agree 1000%. Being single sux at 46.

1600 SP engine
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Quote:

What also sucks is losing 50%+ of everything you've ever worked for and paying alimony for years because of a divorce, and dealing with kids/step kids self inflicted problems all your life.

I've found this statement to be true the vast majority of the time:

"a man marries a woman hoping she doesn't change but she does, and a woman marries a man hoping he does change but he doesn't."
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

There are a lot of women out there looking for faithful men. Key is getting a spouse who makes enough money. Twio income is as important as never before. Money cannot buy you happines but makes things easier. Likely you will find someone who has the same interests and goals as you do.

Dont get a woman w/ a lot of baggage- not worh the trouble. If you have to have it few rounds w/ her bu all means but dont take her home. Sooner or later it will complicate your life that will drive you to misery.

36 is nowhere near the top of hill. You got plenty of time to do whatever you desire. I spent time in the military before i finished school. So i was not a spring chicken starting back over.. i think people get sidelined by their own doing- im guilty of that too. You are 100% responsible for the effort. The outcome may or may not be what you want. That is life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Back in the 80s I considered a career change and checked out massage therapist certification and licensing. It took 8 months of training to start but you work with disabled, elderly, injured etc. I’m talking about the kind that’s recognized by insurance companies as payable and takes place in a medical setting or is mobile. Not craigslist bj or rub and tug. Then 1980s in Atlanta beginning wages were in the 60K+ per year range but it’s really based on how hard you want to work. Much of the training focused on how not to get hurt performing your work and being in good enough shape to do the job.

On being alone my dad got remarried 5 years after my mom died, he was 76 and met her at a widow/widower survivors group meeting. He’s 91 now and she’s 86 Very Happy
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

flight attendant. seriously.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
There are a lot of women out there looking for faithful men. Key is getting a spouse who makes enough money. Twio income is as important as never before. Money cannot buy you happines but makes things easier. Likely you will find someone who has the same interests and goals as you do.

Dont get a woman w/ a lot of baggage- not worh the trouble. If you have to have it few rounds w/ her bu all means but dont take her home. Sooner or later it will complicate your life that will drive you to misery.

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk

I know it's meant for entertainment and humor, but the reality is that there's a lot of truth in his presentation.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
sb001 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Quote:

What also sucks is losing 50%+ of everything you've ever worked for and paying alimony for years because of a divorce, and dealing with kids/step kids self inflicted problems all your life.

"a man marries a woman hoping she doesn't change but she does, and a woman marries a man hoping he does change but he doesn't."

Yes I'm sure that sucks too.
I'd rather take the chance. Doesn't happen to everyone who's married.

1600 SP engine
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
sb001 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Quote:

Yes I'm sure that sucks too.
I'd rather take the chance. Doesn't happen to everyone who's married.

You're correct in that it doesn't happen to everyone that's married, but ask a bunch of guys who have been married quite a while and ask them if they'd do it again and a I bet the majority will say "no". There's a report online that says 50% of 1st marriages, 67% of 2nd marriages, & 73% of 3rd end in divorce. I'm not an expert on the subject but I have a few miles under my belt so here's what I attribute that high rate to, 1-as we age we get set in our ways and are unwilling to be flexible. 2-when you marry young you're both "green" and build something together so there is a "bond". Not much to "build" when you're 50 and beyond. 3- 2nd marriages come with lots of baggage on both sides which can be overwhelming. Kids are one of the biggest problem issues in 2nd marriages.

That being said, are there success stories out there? Yes, but they are few. Bottom line is you have to be happy with yourself and not depend on a partner to bring you happiness because there is no guarantee your partner will be there tomorrow.

My advice to the OP is to find fulfillment in himself and career choice before he settles down, and if he finds that special someone he wants to build a relationship with to make absolute sure she is the one. Don't have the mindset of "I can overlook that problem" or "I can change that about her" because that ain't happening. Little problems now turn into big problems later, but by then it's to late.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

^^^^^^ sounds like Dr. Phil episode ^^^^^^^^ 😀
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

You guys are starting to sound like this guy...

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
There's a report online that says 50% of 1st marriages, 67% of 2nd marriages, & 73% of 3rd end in divorce. .

Side note:
The Ol' Lady hates it when I introduce her as my 1st wife. Has for 25 years now.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

I'm not at all opposed to some kind of education, though I feel like I would want to know for sure that I am pursuing something I really want to pursue. Generally speaking I think going for a Master's of some kind would be better than a different Bachelor's degree would probably be the best bet.

If social services is wearing you out and doesn't pay well, why pursue a higher degree that your current BS degree navigates you towards? Do you want a management position in that field? Does the pay difference warrant the additional headaches? Is it for altruistic reasons to improve the work environment for employees? Other reasons?

Depending on your interest, pursuing a higher degree in your in social services career track may have a significantly worse return on investment than pursing a completely new technology BS degree (aka, BS in Engineering, computer sciences, energy technology, etc).

And there really is no way to know if your career change will make you happier, but if it pays more and is less stressful, you probably won't regret it. If you have a more pleasant work environment, you probably won't regret it.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: