Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Passed away -- Dave Orozco
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

Dave passed away on the 13th of May. He was 53 and left behind a wife and a couple of kids. Dave was a talented architect and always well dressed, he had a great sense of humor and a huge heart.
I met Dave over 30 years ago when I was hoarding EMPI parts, he used to come by and buy Sprintstar wheels cap stickers and some small trinkets. He once came by with some English guys that asked if anything I had was for sale. He looked shocked as the Guys bought $500.00 worth of parts from me(this was 30 years ago).
Any VW show I'd go to I'd run into Dave, it could have been Kelley park or Bad Camberg you'd see Dave.
I did some work for him through the years and had a chance to meet his wife and kids, Dave was a lucky guy.
I remember leering at the 2 Tristars he brought it 20 years ago when there were none here. A white Syncro and a red 2 WD. A ballsy move at a time when there were not exempt and not recognized by VW as a legal import.
I am sure his family will miss him, both his blood family and his VW Family. RIP dave, it was nice knowing you.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

Oh man... this sucks!
May the Orozco family find memories to smile about in the coming days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

WTF? I've know David Orozco since way back in the day. He was one of my go to Type 3 guys. I've bought some of the coolest parts off him and I was always amazed at the stuff he used to bring from his treasure hunting trips. He owned and sold some of the coolest cars I've ever seen. Man, You will be missed. 53 it is too young of an age to go.

Martin Serrano
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

This really surprised me.
I've talked to Dave at shows for many, many years.
He was always happy and always friendly.
I can't believe he won't be around anymore. Shit.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

A huge loss. I don't think it's sunk in for a lot of us that he's really gone. I've known of Dave since the late '80s as the Type 3 rare parts guru, but got to know him better more recently and learned that he was really kind and funny. A warm soul. He was a generous supporter of last fall's Type 3 Rally and he loved the VW community. I know he had a lot of projects in the works and big plans that sadly won't be realized. RIP Dave.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

OMG, that's hard to believe... such a nice guy, always congenial and helpful... Ever know someone who felt like the "occasional best friend"? You don't see them often but they treat you like their best buddy as soon as they see you again? That was him. Always a friendly vibe around him. The kind that lowers the blood pressure of those around him with his smile and quiet conversation.

The first rally I went to he sat across from me at Margie's Diner south of SLO, and made me feel right at home. I looked forward to seeing him and his wife on the Type 3 Rally last year, and he came with his new white Squareback.

Wow, how hard it must be on his family... RIP, my "occasional best friend", you will be missed, especially at every Rally.

ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

As a young squareback owner, I remember looking through Hot Vws and seeing his name with all things type 3. I've always equated him with black cars with red interiors. Glad I got to meet him at the Type 3 Rallies. RIP Brother Dave
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gwal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

It came as a real shock to hear of Dave's death in an instagram post last week,I had to re-read it a couple of times to make sure I hadn't made a mistake.
He was a real nice guy, I first met him at a vw show over here in England back in the early 90's, we got chatting about cars, parts etc and hit it off.
He invited me to stay at his place in San Jose, go to the pomona swapmeet etc.
I visited a number of times after that, and always looked forward to our road trips, parts hunting missions (me and my buddy Ian are probably the english guys buying empi parts mentioned in the first post!), doing the berg rally, and just hanging out.

Thanks to Dave I got to buy some really cool parts (my first empi gt steering wheel, a set of genuine brms) and tons of other stuff and cars.

He was funny, quick witted and always ready to do a deal. I called him one day to tell him I'd found an nos set of overiders and tubes for a type 3 and a type 3 only round tool kit, I think he was on a 'plane to the UK before I put the phone down.

I remember sitting out on his front porch one night, drinking a few beers and talking nonsense when suddenly he started doing the best Elvis impression ever, I cried laughing!

He was generous with his hospitality, his time and his contacts, a genuinely good guy.

My thoughts are with all his family and friends,

if there is a heaven then he'll have found the parts department by now and will be trawling the shelves for Nos goodies

Rest in peace Dave

Andy Marriott
AC Mack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

The VW community has lost a true gentleman. I'd known David over thirty years. He was a international VW figure. I will miss his presence. May he rest in peace. To his brother Arnold and entire family.
"Our Deepest Sympathy and Prayers " The M.W Waterman family
1966 Westfalia so42 Schiebedach fabrik 4864
1967 Model 231 EZ Kamper # 1940
1978 Westfalia P 31 / 1987 Westfalia Wolfram Grau
Split Bus Club / Lost Coast Bays / North Coast Vans
Long may that Split Bus run!
Always and Everywhere Volkswagen
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

My condolences to Dave's family. Dave was a great guy, always great to talk to at shows. We chatted for a little while while his white type3 get shot for the magazine at Kelley Park this year. He was a total class act. Huge loss for the VW community.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

Dag. This sucks.

I have known him since the 90s.

He really was one of the great Type 3 people of all time.
The king, maybe?

Not to mention a really nice guy and really involved with the scene.

This sucks.

RIP.

Crying or Very sad

What’s That Noise?!?
Aaron M265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

A fantastic fella and we always enjoyed the banter and exchanges of ideas and enthusiasm.

Last saw Dave in HO17 (Germany) where we had a beer and a wurst with Alex (ISP) as well.

Was great knowing you Dave. Your legacy lives on around the world, even here in Adelaide, South Australia.

http://1500notchback.blogspot.com/

Need to contact me? Email is faster than a PM - [email protected]

For T3 Panel Van information:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389465
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

I don't know Dave personally. but with all of the stories and testimonies on this thread I am sure that Dave's friends, relatives and family are all blessed to have him part of their lives. Sorry for Dave's untimely passing and demise, I am pretty sure that his life and works will not be put in vain and will not be caged into oblivion! His legacy shall live on. I am so sorry for his loss. And to his family, relatives and friends, be strong as he is now with the Almighty. I will be truly missed by them!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

I saw this and found some left over money from the last Central Coast Type 3 Rally. I was saving it for the next one, but this seems like a much better way to use the money and remember Dave.

https://aiasiliconvalley.org/page/Scholar_DavidOrozco

If you've been looking for something to honor Dave, this is a great thing to contribute to.

Tom

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

Dad Right?!?
cuz I bought a ghia of David like 3 months ago

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Geothon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Passed away -- Dave Orozco Reply with quote

I remember Dave from the Pomona swap meets in the 90's- he was a great guy.
RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: