Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New motor oil for my Karmann Ghia .......
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: New motor oil for my Karmann Ghia ....... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I need to do an oil change on my Karmann Ghia and I needed oil. I found information about Porsche “air-cooled” oil and I figured I would try it. Based on the writing on the can, the oil is made in Germany.
Does anyone have any experience with this oil?

Thanks,
Zack
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New motor oil for my Karmann Ghia ....... Reply with quote

I'm assuming it comes with a Porsche price tag?????

I use Lucas Classic car oil.

Look in the Performance/Engines section for the oil thread. Lot of discussion there.

brad
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New motor oil for my Karmann Ghia ....... Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with this oil but read Porsche's argument for it's inception. At 15 bucks a quart it seems a bit pricey but it's not like you have a dry sump and a 9 quart capacity so why not try it...

Interesting that up to 2.7 litres ('74 to '77) the recommended oil is mineral but at 3.0 ('78 to '83 911SC) and above it's synthetic.
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New motor oil for my Karmann Ghia ....... Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

Look in the Performance/Engines section for the oil thread. Lot of discussion there.

brad

Speaking of tags, about the cost of a quart of regular old motor oil:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUOCL10W60.html
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: New motor oil for my Karmann Ghia ....... Reply with quote

Well, a can of oil or a can of worms.

There is no way anyone is going to come up with the definitive answer. It is the MOST contentious issue on The Samba or any other motor forum. The Performance/Engines/Transmissions forum has a world of expertise/experience discussing this since 2007, all 217 pages of it...and still nobody has come up with THE answer. The more you read the more confused you will be: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220755

Our vintage machines ran very well on traditional mineral oils...make of that, what you will.

When this topic get to 3 pages it will be locked. Very Happy

Edit: ...or earlier. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: New motor oil for my Karmann Ghia ....... Reply with quote

A classic car with a flat-tappet camshaft needs an oil with a high zinc content, ZDDP. I use Valvoline™ VR1 Racing Oil. I have also read the thread on oil .......
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: New motor oil for my Karmann Ghia ....... Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

brad

It was almost $13.25 per liter, so not much more than the Amsoil Z-Rod oil that I have been using.
I figured with the low miles I drive the KG per year, I could justify the cost.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: New motor oil for my Karmann Ghia ....... Reply with quote

20W50 is too heavy for a type 1, IMO. 10W30 is what I always used, and what other T1 engine builders typically recommend. Brad Penn or VR-1 with ZDDP is the way to go, and is available for less $$, and is available in the US.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: New motor oil for my Karmann Ghia ....... Reply with quote

Please use this dedicated oil thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220755
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: