Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
dumb question of my own. What is the difference between these two turn signal switches to get a $40 difference in price?

http://www.piersideparts.net/111953513F.html

https://www.jbugs.com/product/111953513F.html

JBugs has shitty Chinese parts. Pierside carries both the Chinese one and a Brazilian one, they might even have a German one. Call and ask them.

FWIW, JBugs sucks! Those shitheads suck! I will no longer purchase anything from them. 5 years ago I was placing thousand dollar orders every three months. They sent me a defective hazard switch and I attempted to return it. Like a 40 dollar part. Guy on the phone stated no returns on installed electrical items. I said, how do I know it is bad before I install it. Got silence over the phone. Threw that part away. Returned everything I could return back to them and have not ordered anything else from them.

Pierside on the other hand, sold me a defective fuel pump. The car failed on its test drive, to them to purchase a new cap and rotor. On the way there it stops pumping gas. I coasted into a church parking lot about 1/2 mile away. I walked up the street to them. Told Rich what went down. He handed me a different brand fuel pump (stating they have never had a bad one) and a wrench. He said if it was bad, come by and give me the bad pump, if not come back and pay him for the new pump.

I walked back to the car and with his wrench and my Swiss army knife changed the fuel pump. Drove the car up to his shop 30 minutes later and said thank you. Returned his wrench. He said no charge as agreed. I said thank you. He made a customer for life!

Thats why I buy from Pierside. Local and responsible! Still running that fuel pump!

I had the little notch that works the rerun break in a couple weeks on this one from j-bugs and it was my first negative experience with them. Other than that I have mostly just bought simple stuff (mostly EMPI tbh) like a different shape of the same exhaust I had, new door handles, etc and its pretty well be fine. TBH, I have felt that a lot of their trim stuff has been pretty cheap though, so im more than happy to try some place new (and closer tbh)

DurocShark wrote:
I never had that experience returning stuff to JBugs, but I haven't done electrical stuff either. They've always been pretty good to me.

Local walk-up is always better though. Smile

Yah, I always just show up and get solid service, but I dont have a ton of experience with bugs specifically to know if their parts (ive mostly gotten trim stuff) are good quality or not.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
I never had that experience returning stuff to JBugs, but I haven't done electrical stuff either. They've always been pretty good to me.

Local walk-up is always better though. Smile

Wish I could walk up. I am certain the experience would have been different. Up close, face to face, always makes everyone act differently. But I am unwilling to drive 80 miles to return a part. Instead, now I drive 1-1/2 if I need to return a part. Way simplier now. Plus when I walk in I hear, "Jim". Like Norm from Cheers. Been in there three times this week alone!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I've never had an issue w/JBUGS, but I try to find original working parts for things like electrical switches, carbs, distributors.

I think pretty much every vendor will not accept electrical parts after they've been installed. NAPA does that as I've learned w/an overpriced relay that turns out wasn't what I needed on one of my cars recently.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Thats why I buy from Pierside. Local and responsible!

I've been to Pierside (while on vacation in HB), I liked it.

In the Phoenix area, we used to have BAP stores for VW parts that were similar; I knew I could trust stuff that they sold, and that they'd stand behind it. Like the clutch disc in my 1835cc engine which came from BAP: I never questioned what country it was from, I just installed it and it's been fine over a decade.

I'd have to drive cross-Phoenix to Mesa or do Chirco in Tucson to find a VW store comparable.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
dumb question of my own. What is the difference between these two turn signal switches to get a $40 difference in price?

Probably the same part from the same factory. Avoid both of those switches. Cheap Aftermarket turn signal switches don't seem to last long. To be precise I have to replace the $40 one the PO put in my bug with a good, German one.

I'd opt for the German one (still made by one of the OEM manufacturers too)
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111953513F
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:

Probably the same part from the same factory. Avoid both of those switches. Cheap Aftermarket turn signal switches don't seem to last long. To be precise I have to replace the $40 one the PO put in my bug with a good, German one.

I'd opt for the German one (still made by one of the OEM manufacturers too)
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111953513F

I just realized they are the same part number. Makes me even more curious why one is so much more expensive now. Any idea of suppliers with good shipping rates for the wolfburg parts?
Keivox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ron G wrote:
Maybe this might help you

https://www.jbugs.com/VW-Tech-Article-1970-Wiring.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

no, im finding a bunch of wires that shouldn't be there. maybe i should just get a new wiring harness... anyone know of a place to get one relatively cheaply?
Keivox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Also i hit a deer the other day, it came out of nowhere. won't be driving her for a little while.... got plenty of time to work on wiring now
Horance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: new Stupid Question on a motor Reply with quote

What is this?
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/d/vw-fuel-injectedmile/6629505076.html

I think it is a dual port not a FI, I have always thought the FI intake was further apart.

And with out the spark plugs wouldn't it get rusty on the inside?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: new Stupid Question on a motor Reply with quote

Horance wrote:
What is this?
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/d/vw-fuel-injectedmile/6629505076.html

I think it is a dual port not a FI, I have always thought the FI intake was further apart.

And with out the spark plugs wouldn't it get rusty on the inside?

It's a 1975-1979 FI Bug engine. They are largely the same as any other dual port Bug engine except they lack the provision for a mechanical fuel pump and the heads (if original) have slightly smaller exhaust valves.

The engine looks like a corroded mess. It has no plugs, no oil cooler, and no alternator stand, plenty of ways for inside of the engine to end up full of water. If it turns over smoothly it may be suitable as a core for a rebuild. You would want to drain the oil and remove the drain plate to make sure the case isn't rotten on the inside. It is missing everything FI (except perhaps the correct heads.)
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What is the biggest wheel I can fit on a 74’ standard with stock suspension type?

What is the best way to lower front and rear of the car/what are the pros and cons of different options)?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Brake flex hose size question...

I got a rear brake flex hose for the a Beetle with IRS rear suspension (for USA Beetles, 1969 up all plus 1968 autostick.) The brake hose clip doesn't want to fit into its slot so I started measuring and found the groove in the metal fitting (female side that clips to the frame) has a 13mm wide groove where the clip is supposed to fit. The larger diameter that fits through the tab on the frame is 15mm. So, I can slip the fitting into the frame bracket, but I cannot fit the spring clip that retains it into place. The spring clip has a 12.4mm inside diameter. I don't have another rear IRS type flex hose to compare too.

Did VW use different retaining spring clips just for the IRS rear flex hoses, or is this just another low quality replacement part?

---- fast forward 2 days ----

Answering my own question, this is an example of another low quality replacement part. I bought this from a commonly used online VW parts store. I bought another one from my local FLAPS and it measured 12mm in the groove and fit perfectly.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Help, any ideas?
Questions with my Winsheild wipers as you can see in the photo that is the lowest position I can put my windshield wipers, because when I turn them on and it makes a full sweep of the windshield it goes right to the bottom of the windshield now, if I move them down then when it makes a full sweep it wants to go down on the front deck lid. So when I turn them on and shut them off it makes a full swipe of the windshield and then goes up a little bit and stops.

Anybody have any ideas?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ron G wrote:
Help, any ideas?
Questions with my Winsheild wipers as you can see in the photo that is the lowest position I can put my windshield wipers, because when I turn them on and it makes a full sweep of the windshield it goes right to the bottom of the windshield now, if I move them down then when it makes a full sweep it wants to go down on the front deck lid. So when I turn them on and shut them off it makes a full swipe of the windshield and then goes up a little bit and stops.

Anybody have any ideas?

Remove the nut, and re-index these when in the "parked" position. Then tighten the nut.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That is the stop the position, the problem is is when you turn the switch on it starts the swing towards the passenger side and then comes back and goes all the way down to the bottom of the windshield but when you shut the switch off it goes to the bottom of the windshield and then back up to that position. So if I index him down more now than when I turn them on and continue past the rubber on the trunk lid.
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Maybe this’ll help
https://youtu.be/u-y9ubU1quk

As you can see on the full stroke it goes down further than where the starting point is

Last edited by Ron G on Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Where is the best place to talk about performance suspension and brakes on the forums? Is there a better forum to talk about it on?

I am trying to figure out what I need to do for a 200hp build (subie swap) and cant find any good place to even ask about it :/
Snerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
Where is the best place to talk about performance suspension and brakes on the forums? Is there a better forum to talk about it on?

I am trying to figure out what I need to do for a 200hp build (subie swap) and cant find any good place to even ask about it :/

I would say either the Performance subforum, or the specific subforum for the year of your vehicle.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Snerk wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:

I would say either the Performance subforum, or the specific subforum for the year of your vehicle.

Ive asked suspension questions in both places to not much response unfortunately. Realistically I feel like thesamba just doent focus on performance outside of the drivetrain realy.
Snerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
Snerk wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:

Ive asked suspension questions in both places to not much response unfortunately. Realistically I feel like thesamba just doent focus on performance outside of the drivetrain realy.

Yeah, it's more that than anything else.

Old ACVW suspension is weird and kind of a crap design, plus a lot of TheSamba members are older and care more about comfort than performance.

If it's a Super, you could try and find some other places online that focus on Germanlook beetles. 1302 and 1303 supers are pretty popular Germanlook cars and there are a number of guys out there who actually build them to be fast on the track (NOT the dragstrip, the TRACK) rather than comfy down the avenue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 55 of 129

Jump to: