Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal flasher
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Turn signal flasher Reply with quote

I have a 70 Ghia and my turn signals are not working. Does anyone know how to bench test the flasher unit? All bulbs are tested and grounds are good at each light unit. I checked and cleaned all the fuses. Everything worked good then nothing works after it sat for 2 1/2 Mo.s (left, Right, and 4-ways).
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal flasher Reply with quote

Check the relay and connections. Could be as simple as a wire popped off. Or the relay could be on its way out. Tap it while power is applied and it could free up. If it does, replace it as it will happen again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal flasher Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Check the relay and connections. Could be as simple as a wire popped off. Or the relay could be on its way out. Tap it while power is applied and it could free up. If it does, replace it as it will happen again

Ok, I'll pull each wire off and clean the spade and try the tap test when the wife gets home. Thanks
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal flasher Reply with quote

Update Checked wires and cleaned and tapped on flasher and finally the 4-ways are working but that's it. I need a way to bench test the relay so I don't throw money at the wrong part.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal flasher Reply with quote

If the 4-ways work then the relay is good. Same relay for both turn signals and 4-way flashers.

The turn signals and 4-ways have different power sources though, and both run through the 4-way switch. The 4-way switch should have a black wire coming into terminal 15, that's power for the turn signals. 15 is switched power, that way the turn signals only work with the key on. That black wire should come direct from the fuse box.

The 4-ways are powered by a red wire to terminal 30 on the 4-way switch. 30 is always hot, so that's why the flashers work whether the key is on or off.

the 4-way switch passes through 12v from whichever power source depending on its position. When it's off, it passes the 12v from terminal 15 through to the + terminal on the flasher. When it's turned on, it does the same thing but the 12v is sourced via terminal 30.

The flasher relay, having 12v, will only flash when the load (the lights) is cut into the circuit. The way you do that is with the turn signal switch.

So I would look at the wiring from flasher terminal 49a to the turn signal switch and/or the switch itself.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal flasher Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
If the 4-ways work then the relay is good. Same relay for both turn signals and 4-way flashers.

The turn signals and 4-ways have different power sources though, and both run through the 4-way switch. The 4-way switch should have a black wire coming into terminal 15, that's power for the turn signals. 15 is switched power, that way the turn signals only work with the key on. That black wire should come direct from the fuse box.

The 4-ways are powered by a red wire to terminal 30 on the 4-way switch. 30 is always hot, so that's why the flashers work whether the key is on or off.

the 4-way switch passes through 12v from whichever power source depending on its position. When it's off, it passes the 12v from terminal 15 through to the + terminal on the flasher. When it's turned on, it does the same thing but the 12v is sourced via terminal 30.

The flasher relay, having 12v, will only flash when the load (the lights) is cut into the circuit. The way you do that is with the turn signal switch.

So I would look at the wiring from flasher terminal 49a to the turn signal switch and/or the switch itself.

Turn signal switch tests good so it must be in the 4-way switch, I'm getting some electrical contact cleaner and spray in the switch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: