Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 road race Ghia rebuild
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

I've been hanging around this forum for years, learning and answering questions where I could. I've had Volkswagons all my life, a type 3 square back, some Kombis, and quite a few Beetles. As I got older, what I really wanted was a Karmann Ghia. I like track racing so that meant finding an IRS car as they are the best basis for good handling and a '69 as they are the lightest and prettiest of the late model cars. In the family already was an Australian delivered '69 which are swing axle and being very rare I wasn't about to cut it up. So I searched for a rust free LHD '69 to turn into my road race car. So this car was finished about 10 years ago but it had a lot of compromises: full interior, good sound installation, steel bumper bars and heavy seats. It was also bit of a show car, road car and a race car which as we all know you can't have all three.

Here is the car in Primer
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The engine compartment (you can see the Koni shocks and the massive 27mm whiteline swaybar)

Finished car with no bumpers

After months of work.... with bumpers

And finally racing at Phillip Island

As I get time I'll show a few bits of the car as it was then that might be interesting, and the next stage in its life.....
COMPLETE REBUILD to race car!
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

I like it. Looks like a former autostick too.
halbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Looks sano clean - I like it allot Cool

I know exactly what you mean with "can have it all three" - but I will keep trying to achieve Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

Please keep us informed on the build.

Cheers
halbug
Stealth Ghia Transformation: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7226044&highlight=#7226044
My Berg5: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730276&start=0
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Excellent! How big are the rims and tires?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Darrel,
They are 6" on the front and 7" on the rear which is about the limit for a ghia without body work and trying to maintain a decent turning circle.
195/55 15 and 205/60 15 Dunlop R spec tyres which are quite fat.
I had the wheels made from VW centres.

Last edited by Ian Godfrey on Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Nice! That is a lot of meat on there! I knew you had something different going on. Sounds like you did a lot of planning.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Bringing my thread back from the dead..... life, it's a tricky thing, fix a house, sell a house etc.
Anyway a few more details about the 1st incarnation of the car:
The suspension was basically VW, with 15% stiffer Sway Away front leaves, 28mm rear torsions (IRS), Whiteline racing sway bars and Koni adjustable shocks. The front beam had extra supports as well.
A 4 speed with superdiff and close 3-4 gears and a big motor:

This is the motor I dreamed about for decades, Berg 86 crank, carillo rods, Web 86B, SE heads, Nickie cylinders, 48 IDA's etc. I put a bit of time into anodising to make it look good as the car was a bit of a show car as well.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

I kept the interior pretty nice, most of the gauges are in the glove box. It's a Newton commercial carpet kit, they were great to deal with from OZ, a couple of floor panels didn't fit well, so I sent paper templates and they made new sections to my specs as well as my custom sections around the speaker enclosures and the pedals. The wheel is a local SAS and I kept a bud vase on the dash for giggles. One time I raced with a rose in it Very Happy
It's a later column with the wiper stalk and I set up the column to be straight and straight ahead of me and used a double universal joint out of a T4 van to connect to the steering box. Unfortunately I also used a heap of sound deadening which weights a ton.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Looking good.
So how does it perform on the track compared to other makes?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

28mm rear torsion bars & that huge rear sway bar must induce lots of oversteer. When combined with that engine, that must be a blast on the track. Lift off throttle in a corner, it rotates, a hair too much throttle, it pushes, way too much throttle, it rotates, when just right, that thing must stick like stink on a skunk. Definitely not for the inexperienced.

Interesting Porsche-esque toe board treatment for the pedal assembly.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Braukuche, my car is strong against 356's, MG's etc, but no match for early 911's. Things to improve in the upgrade:
better brakes, they fade
better gear ratios
more power
more safety
I'll detail the upgrades over the next while.
TCDTDI, I was surprised how well 28 bars on the rear worked, but I think the stiffer front leaves kept it in balance. In the upgrade I'm going softer in the rear, 26's, and softer sway bars. I'm looking for more compliance rather than just keeping it flat. The 205 dunlop R spec tyres on the back go a long way to make the car go where I point it, but I have spun of the track more than once. Embarassed
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

I too was really impressed with the larger rear bars (mine are 29mm), but due to the arenas that I find myself in, I am running with no sway bars at all.

I’d like to suggest a smaller rear sway bar (say, about half the size of the current one.). The larger torsion bars actually work the same way as the HUGE sway bar (but combining the two makes for a fairly loose rear end.). Since the car is lowered with larger meats, and depending on what track conditions are, limiting the amount of suspension compression might not be a bad idea, bottoming on a dip, especially in a corner, will cause many other issues.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Yep, the new plan for the rear is to replace 28mm torsions with 26mm and the 27mm sway bar with a 22mm bar.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Try leaving the 28s & lose the rear sway bar, if it pushes too much, then try a smaller rear sway bar.

bruehoyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
Bringing my thread back from the dead..... life, it's a tricky thing, fix a house, sell a house etc.
Anyway a few more details about the 1st incarnation of the car:

This is the motor I dreamed about for decades, Berg 86 crank, carillo rods, Web 86B, SE heads, Nickie cylinders, 48 IDA's etc. I put a bit of time into anodising to make it look good as the car was a bit of a show car as well.

This WAS your dream engine. I'm still dreaming. I love what you have done with your ghia. The only thing I would point out is that the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

71 Westfalia https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633955

74 Super Beetle Convertible Sun Bug https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748008

Past VW's:
71 Karmann Ghia Autostick. 17-21. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727596
70 Karmann Ghia driven 00-03, 67 Karmann Ghia 91-97, 74 Karmann Ghia 92-94, 71 Karmann Ghia 87-92, 74 Super Beetle 86-87, 71 Karmann Ghia 85-86 (my avatar)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Bruehoyt, I'll let you know it was a lot of work to get that wheel onto the 'correct' side for Australia Laughing
Two things really drove the upgrades to my car, both about safety. At Phillip Island race track the main straight heads down hill a bit with a great view of the sea
https://www.snaplap.net/phillip-island-circuit/
My car gets up to 180 Kph (112Mph) by the end of the straight and it starts to get bad brake fade and I also started to think about my mortality if it ends up on its roof Shocked
so the first order of business was a decent roll cage. As I still want to keep it street registered it is a 1/2 cage with door bars rather than a full cage.

The main hoop bolts to the side shelf and there is a tube from under the shelf to the heater channel and doublers below the floor pan. The narrow bar goes back to the factory bolt holes in the torsion tube where a lot of Ghias have a bolt hole. The whole cage can be unbolted and taken out. To keep it registered the lap/sash seat belts were refitted to the cage and there is a harness bar for racing

the door bar is removable separate to the cage. I also added a Velo GT2 racing seat..... way lighter. I cut out the factory seat mounts and reinforced the floor for alloy mounts.
simon varley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

hi Ian. The car looks great! where abouts in Victoria are you?
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Simon, I'm a NE Melbourne person, Rosanna.
simon varley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Not too far then. I only know of one other Ghia owner close. Are there more?
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 road race Ghia rebuild Reply with quote

Simon, there are quite a few KG's in Melbourne and country Victoria, a good way to make contact with other owners is through the Karmann Ghia Owners Club Australia
https://www.karmannghiaownersclubaustralia.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: