Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Could it be that a Europe-based US service member bought it with the Canadian build specs already furnished and had it shipped to his home in the northeast?

By the way, those window etchings deserve a thread all by themselves! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Shocked you have a super clean original bus, and yet the door lock pulls are total crap. Sick
spend $5 and get some nice originals to put on there. Dancing
having door lock pulls in that condition would drive me insane.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The rest sure looks like a Canada bus, except for that bonus plate riveted to the bulkhead inboard of the door jamb sticker, what's that? Is there a plate behind the RF seat?

Could that be some kind of plate riveted on by a secondary shipper? It indicates make, VIN, and weights. There's no plate behind the RF seat.
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Could it be that a Europe-based US service member bought it with the Canadian build specs already furnished and had it shipped to his home in the northeast?

By the way, those window etchings deserve a thread all by themselves! Laughing

No I believe there was a special destination code for things like this. Maybe the same one as tourist delivery.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Shocked you have a super clean original bus, and yet the door lock pulls are total crap. Sick

I know, weird, right? But you should feel the solid fresh feel of the door latches, and the locks turn like they're full of butter, with no play at all. Opening and closing the slider requires two finger effort. Click!
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.

Last edited by Squeeze Cheese on Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

IIRC The H4's where not allowed on US vehicles.
Tcash
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

..And the scratch on that window chrome....horrible. You can’t find a well detailed car anymore.

Laughing

Love your Bussssess, split cheese
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I’m willing to bet a compression test would be an almost sexual experience.
LOL

Beautiful bus, thanks for sharing!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
The rest sure looks like a Canada bus, except for that bonus plate riveted to the bulkhead inboard of the door jamb sticker, what's that? Is there a plate behind the RF seat?

Could that be some kind of plate riveted on by a secondary shipper? It indicates make, VIN, and weights. There's no plate behind the RF seat.

Nevermind the plate behind the RF seat, that stopped in 75, for some reason I have it in my head this bus is a 74, must be all that orange. But the bonus plate behind the LF seat is really odd, especially since it looks to be in German, I wonder if some Canadian customs guy didn't get the memo on the deleted plate and wouldn't process it until the weight plate was present so VW had to whip one up so satisfy him?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

UPDATE:

1. I managed to track down original owner's son to try and pry more of the history, who eventually called me back. He didn't have much to add (I asked as many questions as I could when I bought it), but he did say he thought "Dad had it for awhile in Germany". So I think we can derive that it was bought through the Tourist Delivery program and was then imported through Canada, which would explain some of the Euro and Canadian specs. Anyone know if there's a registry of some kind for these?

2. If anyone's nearby, I'll have The Brilliant Orange Time Capsule at the Atlanta Caffeine and Octane show tomorrow morning. Love to meet ya!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
UPDATE:
1. I managed to track down original owner's son to try and pry more of the history, who eventually called me back. He didn't have much to add (I asked as many questions as I could when I bought it), but he did say he thought "Dad had it for awhile in Germany". So I think we can derive that it was bought through the Tourist Delivery program and was then imported through Canada, which would explain some of the Euro and Canadian specs. Anyone know if there's a registry of some kind for these?

I don't think so, there is an destination code specifically for that. Maybe he bought it in Canada and shipped it there for a while. If he had done that, it probably would explain the different radio.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Totally awesome. One day, though, you might have to sell it back to the family, because, it might be required to restore the karmic flow.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Squeeze Cheese wrote:
UPDATE:

I don't think so, there is an destination code specifically for that. Maybe he bought it in Canada and shipped it there for a while. If he had done that, it probably would explain the different radio.

Unless you were in Germany, ordered a Canadian spec from the factory, took possession in Germany, drove it around then shipped it home. Think

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Squeeze Cheese wrote:
UPDATE:

Unless you were in Germany, ordered a Canadian spec from the factory, took possession in Germany, drove it around then shipped it home. Think

If that were the case, the plate would probably read “Destination: Germany. Specifications for Canada.”
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
notchboy wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Squeeze Cheese wrote:
UPDATE:

If that were the case, the plate would probably read “Destination: Germany. Specifications for Canada.”

Fun stuff. Isnt it! Laughing Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

We parked next to each other this morning at Caffeine and Octane. Easily the cleanest and most original Westy I’ve seen in person.

I do wish folks from this forum could see it in person. They’d truly appreciate it the fantastic condition it’s in.

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Did it smell like fresh vinyl and unannounced adventure?!?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Did it smell like fresh vinyl and unannounced adventure?!?

The "Westy smell" was strong with this one!

But honestly after I repadded the front seats (it was either that or allow the exposed springs to destroy the fabric from inside) and vacuumed up all the old crumbled horsehair, much of the smell went away.
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

ultralite wrote:
We parked next to each other this morning at Caffeine and Octane. Easily the cleanest and most original Westy I’ve seen in person.

I do wish folks from this forum could see it in person. They’d truly appreciate it the fantastic condition it’s in.

Great seeing you, ultralite! (His 69' Westy is sweeeeet!)

Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Some people asked for details of the Westfalia specific equipment, so this post will show those photos.

The Helinski Side Seat, special wedge back cushion, and the shore power outlet installed below. Note that the seat just rests on some L brackets, does not have a seatbelt and does not have to be moved when deploying the lower bed.

The left sink cabinet with collapsible spare tire that is inflated using the VW/Coleman 12V air pump:

The right cabinet with combination gas/electric refrigerator, special stove lid hinge with rubber stopper (stove not installed in Canada), and side folding shelf:

The main table, stored upside-down in the rear cargo area and deployed in the possible positions:

The secondary table, stored with a bungee behind the right seat, deployed between the cabinets or on the center dash brackets:

The Westfalia stool and yellow bucket, with straps and buckles for attaching to cleats between front seats:

The rear cargo area and left cabinet. Interesting that they installed rubber spare tire bumpers even though you couldn't fit one in there!

Original Headliners and roof detail, appear to be white vinyl wrapped wood. Amazing that it shows no heat shrinking or distortion, unlike that plastic ceiling cover trim piece that warps on all Westies:

Jalousie window and screens:

And pop-top and roof:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: