Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panheadguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

So after hours of searching through 10-15 yr. old distributor posts I went to Aircooled.net. only to find that there are no more Mexican SVDA distributors to be had. Went on Ebay and all I see there is Chinese; some here in US and some direct from China.
So what to choose? Are Bosch SVDA OEM on another VW application? Really not into Chinese unless unavoidable.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

What carb?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Panheadguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

Sorry...You know the infamous; 34-3
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2189910

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2188024

I have both the German 034 restored and ready to ship and the Mexican version that's just as good also ready to ship.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Panheadguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

My old VW buddy has a bunch of distributors for me to look at tomorrow. He was a moonlight VW repair guy going back to the mid 70's. What was the original application for the 034 distributor? Can someone help out? He says he might have 50 to 75 but most are organised by application not part number.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

0 231 170 034 used on 74 Beetles for 49 states.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

What year is your Thing? Is it from California? Does make somewhat of a difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Panheadguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

It's a '73
Thanks to all that have replied to my problems.
I'm not sure if it was from Kalifornia or not. When I bought it it had a 009 in it and another distributor in a box that has a CA destination part number
043 905 205C. I'm tempted to put that one in but it was all rusty and turns hard. I spun it with my lathe an oiled the heck out of it but it still turns harder than it should. It has the dual vac canisters.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

There are any number of distributors that could do the job well if you know your way around them. Have someone service your 205C, and if you choose to leave the retard side of the can unconnected (plug the corresponding port on the carburetor) you now have an SVDA, albeit with slightly different specs than a 034.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009

Last edited by Towel Rail on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

That's a good idea or just find a good 205C. They should not be hard to find.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
That's a good idea or just find a good 205C. They should not be hard to find.

It's a great distributor for sure. The problem is finding the correct NOS DVDA vacuum canister for under $100 dollars.

Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

Finding a good used distributor with a can that works is possible, it may need a tune up, but it is possible.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
Finding a good used distributor with a can that works is possible, it may need a tune up, but it is possible.

Agree that occasionally you can find a used one with a functioning vacuum canister. However, 95% of the used cores I purchase with a DVDA can on them are bad. Crying or Very sad The design of the vacuum canisters wasn't great. After 40+ years the rubber diaphragm material in them has fully dried out and they rip apart.

I've had great luck with the NOS vacuum cans as most of them were last produced 10-20 years ago and didn't have exposure to fuel vapors like the originals did while being run on the engines. So many owners didn't run the shepherds hook steel vacuum lines with the loop by the carb. They also didn't loop the green retard hose either. Fuel vapors run down the vacuum hose and it shortens the life of the diaphragms.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

I picked up a brand new 034 in the box a few months ago for not all that much. Just watch, ebay, Amazon, Rock Auto, etc and see what pops up.

If I remember correctly the stock T-181 distributor doesn't have a whole lot of vacuum advance maybe half of that of a Beetle distributor. I doubt that running a Beetle distributor or just a Beetle vacuum can will hurt much though as you will have little or no vacuum advance once you put your foot into it.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

The 1974 Thing parts manual ( https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/thing_parts_manual.php ) lists the 205C -- I bet that distributor in a box was the original, and the PO (or his shop) replaced it! Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a SVDA distributor for my Thing! Which one? Reply with quote

I can't remember the last time I saw a retard side vacuum line installed properly= early failure. Switching vacuum canisters into non stock applications is much trickier with the 1972 and later distributors since the mounting holes for the canisters don't always line up up with the housing mounts. The 043 905 205 C is a decent distributor. The 043 905 205 H is essentially the same distributor using identical advance weights assemblies and "951" vacuum canisters. The 043 H was used on Beetles from 1975-1979, so there are plenty of them out there.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: