Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36HP Ratio Rocker Options
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: 36HP Ratio Rocker Options Reply with quote

I recently scored a set of 1.15 36HP ratio rockers. I also have a set of 1.4:1 rockers I bought from speedwell when they first cam out. I'm wondering which ones I should use.

My understanding is that the 1.4:1 rods will allow me to reduce the stress on the cam, lifters and lifter bores by using a cam with less lift and milder ramps. The only downside that I can see is that I need to find some rocker covers that will contain the rockers. Ray has told me that he has some in the pipeline, but I don't have a delivery date.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 1.15:1 rockers, on the other hand, use stock valve covers (my preferred solution), and even use 911 style adjusters. The downside is that I'll need a cam with more lift (.35 vs .28 to achieve .4 at the valve), and I suspect hey'll be relatively more stressful on the cam/lifter/cam bores.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Comments anyone?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Ratio Rocker Options Reply with quote

I had a pair of the 1.4 rockers but with stock length pushrods the geometry was way off and I never ran them. WW sells push rod extensions if you decide to run them

The 1.4’s will give you more lift, but none of the aftermarket 36hp cams are radical...will not hurt your valvetrain

I’d go with an after market cam and either rocker...just check your clearance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Ratio Rocker Options Reply with quote

Who’s manufacturing/selling the 36hp 1.15 ratio rockers?
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Ratio Rocker Options Reply with quote

I think they're made by GDP, but their site doesn't list them. You can, however, find them elsewhere.

http://usstore.concept1.ca/36-Hp-Ratio-Rocker-Set-GDP36HP1.15-65983/

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Ratio Rocker Options Reply with quote

AA list the 1.15 rockers so I assume they manufacture them?

I have the Speedwell 1.4 rockers (ex txoval) with a stock Cam. The intention was to run two piece lifters/pushrods, but I bolted them up with my 2mm shortened stock one-piece lifters/pushrods (shortened as my heads are flycut 2mm).

They work with no clearance issues, although I'm not sure whether the geometry is perfect. However, they seem to have made a big difference to how the car drives. When upgrading the rockers and fitting my Vintage Speed Sebring the car was noticeably quicker, although I had to move from to a Bosch VJ4 BR25 distributor (same curve as Bosch '010') from my previous VJ4 BR8 (same curve as 019) to see the best results. The VJ4BR8 had been fine with my stock exhaust (with TDE tailpipes) and stock rockers.

(more details of my setup with the photo linked in my signature below).
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: