Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless Steel Bug Bumpers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious how the quality compares to the SS bumpers sold by CIP1.
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly look good in the photos and based on Lee's opinion I may try a set too.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a reply back from Helen on pricing for the bumper blades without over riders. $350 for the pair plus $170 shipping, so $520 for the set shipped to my door. I would still need to purchase 4 brackets, reinforcing plates, bumper guards and all of the mounting hardware.

I will be purchasing some quality bumper blades w/Euro style bumper guards for my project so I decided to do some research on whats available other than the Taiwan SS bumpers mentioned here. I was leaning towards the WW steel bumper blades at $130 each but the costs escalate quickly as pointed out below. The SS European made CIP1 stainless bumper set doesn't appear that high after all...

-WW chromed steel blades are roughly $130 and are triple chrome plated here in the USA. Seems like a bargain until I add the short Euro style bumper guards that run $64 each ($256 for all four). So that's $516 and that's NOT including any of the brackets or mounting hardware. Add another $72 for the brackets and reinforcing plates. So lets call it $600 with mounting bolts PLUS shipping costs.

-CIP1 stainless bumpers are $730 for the pair but includes 100% of the mounting hardware plus 4 euro style bumper guards. They also ship at no charge.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
I just received a reply back from Helen on pricing for the bumper blades without over riders. $350 for the pair plus $170 shipping, so $520 for the set shipped to my door. I would still need to purchase 4 brackets, reinforcing plates, bumper guards and all of the mounting hardware.

I will be purchasing some quality bumper blades w/Euro style bumper guards for my project so I decided to do some research on whats available other than the Taiwan SS bumpers mentioned here. I was leaning towards the WW steel bumper blades at $130 each but the costs escalate quickly as pointed out below. The SS European made CIP1 stainless bumper set doesn't appear that high after all...

-WW chromed steel blades are roughly $130 and are triple chrome plated here in the USA. Seems like a bargain until I add the short Euro style bumper guards that run $64 each ($256 for all four). So that's $516 and that's NOT including any of the brackets or mounting hardware. Add another $72 for the brackets and reinforcing plates. So lets call it $600 with mounting bolts PLUS shipping costs.

-CIP1 stainless bumpers are $730 for the pair but includes 100% of the mounting hardware plus 4 euro style bumper guards. They also ship at no charge.

So the Wolfsburg West Chromed Steel bumpers cost less ($600 + shipping) compared to CIP1s stainless set ($730)
phatdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:

So the Wolfsburg West Chromed Steel bumpers cost less ($600 + shipping) compared to CIP1s stainless set ($730)

Did this thread run its course?
-2010 Jetta TDI. White and sips fuel.

The older I get the beter I was!!

http://www.thebugshop.org/gotech.htm
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...until someone has some new questions, information and/or pictures, I imagine so. Many threads go dormant until revived by something relevant.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
:2gunfire: F-U-M-P!
~"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." ~The Boss
Please excuse any typos as my iPhone doesn't speak English very well. 
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 46,000 views since it was started in 2006, it was an extremely popular topic here on TheSamba.
phatdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Over 46,000 views since it was started in 2006, it was an extremely popular topic here on TheSamba.

And I still am not sure whether to refab an old OEM bumper, get WW chrome, or go with the not quite perfect SS.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phatdawg wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:

And I still am not sure whether to refab an old OEM bumper, get WW chrome, or go with the not quite perfect SS.

My opinion is original oem whenever you can - but you must have a decent rechromer nearby to fix them up for you (and this generally isn't cheap). I had good originals so I got them rechromed but expect to do it more frequently as I don't think the chrome quality is as good as what the originals were brand new.

Then repro - pros and cons to what's available at the moment
WW - not as thick as oem but thicker than the stainless, good quality chrome, expensive, well fitting
Stainless - hopefully won't rust but the jury is still out on how this hold up after a few years but you can repolish them, not as thick, not as well fitting, cheap option.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phatdawg wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:

On my 67 bug with the all original bumpers, I paid $800 to have them rechromed here in Phoenix. They were not terrible but some of the over riders and tubes were dented. The shop did a BEAUTIFUL job. It's nice having all the original VW parts refurbished.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phatdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
phatdawg wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:

On my 67 bug with the all original bumpers, I paid $800 to have them rechromed here in Phoenix. They were not terrible but some of the over riders and tubes were dented. The shop did a BEAUTIFUL job. It's nice having all the original VW parts refurbished.

Do you remember how much you paid for the new chrome? It's hard to find a good rear bumper to send in.

HCFoster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Bug Bumpers Reply with quote

I purchased a WW front bumper with overriders a couple years ago for my wife's '67 to replace a rusting repro bumper that came with the car. The car is parked at the beach most days in the summer months. The WW bumper assembled easily and fit the car perfectly. BUT - within a year the new bumper was spotted with corrosion despite regular washing and waxing. Now some of the chrome has started to peel off.

Meanwhile the original rear bumper is hanging tough, no rust at all.

So I'm hoping to find a good SS replacement...
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Bug Bumpers Reply with quote

That makes me kind of glad I didn't bite on the WW units. Many years ago, I bought a premium quality "triple chrome" knock-off front bumper for my 62. While it has those fugly rubber grommet thingies on the towel bars, they seem to be immune to "surface rust syndrome" and thus, I'm fine with them.

Now, in back, when I worked at the VW parts shop, I knew we had an excellent German original used rear bumper and I bought it and stuck it on there. (replacing a cheapo aftermarket one that had turned black around the tailpipes!)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Bug Bumpers Reply with quote

That is too bad about the WW bumpers. Perhaps there has been a decline in quality in the past few years. I purchased new WW bumpers in 2010 and they look as good now as the the day they were installed. I have kept them waxed and the car is garaged and winter stored. It has never seen salt, neither road nor ocean.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Bug Bumpers Reply with quote

I've been running the stainless steel bumpers now since 2015. They look as great today as they did then. Always outside, the only issue is the gray paint inside the bumper blade is cracking and peeling. Zero rust.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Bug Bumpers Reply with quote

I've been running stainless as well for 4 years. They look as good as day one but my car is always garaged when not driven
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Bug Bumpers Reply with quote

HCFoster wrote:
I purchased a WW front bumper with overriders a couple years ago for my wife's '67 to replace a rusting repro bumper that came with the car. The car is parked at the beach most days in the summer months. The WW bumper assembled easily and fit the car perfectly. BUT - within a year the new bumper was spotted with corrosion despite regular washing and waxing. Now some of the chrome has started to peel off.

Meanwhile the original rear bumper is hanging tough, no rust at all.

So I'm hoping to find a good SS replacement...

Curious that you had assemble them. The ones I got were already assembled when they arrived. They were the top quality ones, I know they were also selling an “economy” version back when I bought the ones I got. Did you buy those instead?

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Bug Bumpers Reply with quote

Anyone had any experience (positive or negative) with a Vietnameses supplier of 55 to 67 VW Beetle stainless steel bumpers? The call themselves PHAM TAN TAI CO., LTD and have a website at www.sgbumperscar.com. They're running ads on the eBay-owned Kijjii website in Canada, using a Quebec-based address, but correspondence is coming directly from Vietnam. They're quoting a 'delivered' price for a complete set of front and rear US style stainless steel bumpers of $546 USD ...that's about $720 CDN at current exhange rates. Price sounds great, but of course build and quality concerns raise the eyebrows ...
Comments??
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Bug Bumpers Reply with quote

After being directed over here by Everett, I find that most of my questions / concerns have been addressed in previous posts / discussions in this thread. Thanks!
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Bug Bumpers Reply with quote

So what's the latest on this guys?

Hows the stainless bumpers supplied from PTT (Helen) holding up? And were the fitment issues for beetle sorted out?
I see the ghia guys have very little complaints about them now.

Has anyone bought the stainless from cip1? How do they compare to the bumpers supplied by PTT??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: