Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 WestyRabbit Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I finished cleaning up the wiring. The headlight relays are installed. Everything electrical on the van works. I took apart the blinker and windshield wiper switches.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The horn ring contact was worn; so I thought I'd try soldering it to see how it would work.

Time will tell how long it will last. Now that I've cleaned up and lubricated the blinker switch and the windshield wiper switch, the blinkers will cancel themselves, and the windshield washer now works. My headlights and parking lights now shut off when you shut the key off. It is small steps adding up to big progress. I think it took about 8 hours just to clean up all the wiring under the dash. Now off to the inspection station. John
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Intense "micro management" John. Wink Nice.

Obviously this is hindsight but would one be able to solder on a thin strip of copper for the horn contact?

Way to make use of the original parts.

Best of luck with inspection!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Intense "micro management" John. Wink Nice.

Obviously this is hindsight but would one be able to solder on a thin strip of copper for the horn contact? Maybe take a piece of copper pipe, anneal it, pound it flat?

Way to make use of the original parts.

Best of luck with inspection!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Yes, soldering on a thin strip of copper would probably have been the best, but I didn’t have one handy and my soldering stuff was sitting out. I had two switches like that so, I repaired both of them. Inspection won’t take luck; it’s ready. US inspections are much easier than you have it in Canada. John
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Hi
I removed my refrigerator and all of the center cabinets today to look for and fix rust. I was very pleased at how little rust there actually was back there.

I am going to clean up what little rust there is, and paint it with Chassis Saver. I was thinking of spraying Lizard Skin, but I think I am going to use Dynamat instead. I was also thinking about using Monstaliner for the final coat of paint, but I will make that decision after I have cleaned things up and painted the Chassis Saver.

When I went to get the van inspected, the guy running the inspection station wanted the refrigerator more than I did, so I gave it to him. He was happy, and so was I.

I have to figure out what I want to use to replace the fiberglass insulation.

While all of the cabinets are out, I am going to make all new interior panels out of some nice plywood and varnish them.

Neil, if you are looking for power steering brackets, PM me. John
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Nice looking kitchen area behind the fridge. And it looks like it had the stock fibreglass insulation?

Thanks for offer of brackets. PM will be sent.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I thought I would take a stab at repairing the rust under the window seals. In standard me style I thought that I would try it on a van that I am not restoring first before I did it on the current van. So I pulled the rear window out of my shed and took a whack at it.

I cleaned the rust up with a wire wheel and brazed up the holes

And then painted it.

Now if only i could do as well on my van

After I cleaned it up.

After it was braised.

After I cleaned up the braise.

I was too embarrassed by my paint work to show anybody. I POR 15ed around the whole window frame. Then the directions say to spray primer on it while it is still tacky. The primer I sprayed over the POR 15 just wrinkled and peeled. I have not had time to come up with a plan b yet. John
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Brass - smart move.
If you can fix rust like this, you will figure out the paint. Look for similarities in each products thinner - they should all be the same. Typically wrinkles are caused from dissimilar solvents - especially when applying before the base coat is dry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
Hi everybody, I thought I would take a stab at repairing the rust under the window seals. In standard me style I thought that I would try it on a van that I am not restoring first before I did it on the current van. So I pulled the rear window out of my shed and took a whack at it.

After I cleaned up the braise.

I was too embarrassed by my paint work to show anybody. I POR 15ed around the whole window frame. Then the directions say to spray primer on it while it is still tacky. The primer I sprayed over the POR 15 just wrinkled and peeled. I have not had time to come up with a plan b yet. John

Brazing sure likes like a viable option. Wouldn't have thought of that. I've tried my hand at MIG welding in "new" metal to the windshield area. It got done but suffice it to say it was a big challenge. I found it interesting to see what looked like factory braze at various points at the windshield metal areas.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

POR-15 is not a good product here (or most places really). I'd use an epoxy primer then paint over that.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I am old school oxygen and acetylene is my go to for welding. Most of my welding is done on 4130 thin wall tubing and torches are perfect. If I were to start building bumpers or a lot of sheet metal work I would need a new plan. John
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I spent my day off yesterday cutting all new door panels and headliner out of 1/8th plywood for the passenger compartment of the van.

Today I installed most of the dynamat in the passenger compartment of the van.

I am starting on staining and polyurethaning the plywood so it will be ready to permanently install when I am finished with the Dynamat. It will be some number of days before I get back to it. I have to work occasionally.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Stupid work.

Although your job doesn't look all bad.

Really enjoyed your thread, a lesson in relaxed meticulousness.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I decided to use the sheep wool insulation on top of Dynamat. Theoretically the sheep wool insulation will pull the moisture away from the metal, and the insulation is actually touching the dynamat as opposed to the outside metal of the vehicle in most places

Now I can start re-installing the interior. John
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I am pulling all of my windows to check for rust which a few of them have, but not all. I pulled the left rear glass today, and the metal under the gasket looks perfect.

I think I am just going to re-install that window with a new seal without any further prep work. I'm thinking about putting grease on the seal for lubricant and to hopefully keep water out. I've read about using anything - from using soapy water as a lubricant like I would have done in the 80's to using window adhesive which I think would be a disaster if I ever needed to take the window back out. I guess I have until tomorrow evening to make my decision. Thanks, John
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

not sure I'd put grease in there, I've used fluid film as a lubricant, but it will swell some rubber.. which may or may not happen or be advantageous on this application. I do know it won't dry out under the seal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

In the end I used spray silicone on the new window seal. I talked to a guy I know at the local glass shop and it’s what they use. It slid right in with the silicone. Piece of cake. I am sure the grease would have been fine but I was afraid of it leaking out of the seal for years.
John
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I pulled all the contact paper off my cabinets and painted them.

I cut a bigger hole in the rear cabinet so I can install a sliding door an notched the lower right side for a drawer to keep some tools in.
We will see how the paint holds up compared to the contact paper. If I don’t like it I will install contact paper over the paint later.
I am working hard on the van so I can take it to Westys on the West River in just over a week whatever condition or state it’s in at that time. I have been driving it so it’s just a matter of getting the interior back in. Thanks John
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Wow. This is quite the restoration!

Maybe you did this, and my thought may be too late, but would it be of any use to to you to open up one end of the "secret" space above the top rearward portion of the rear cabinet? i.e. the space shown at LH mid lower in this image? Not sure what one would put up there though....

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Yes I did that to. I am thinking spare tuneup parts. John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: