Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

Does anyone own a Brazilian bus and or have any knowledge about their history? Post your bus and share your story here on this thread. I would like to learn more about them and their differences pros and cons especially about their history and how they are holding up via owners. I was unable to locate a book on the history of the Brazilian Bus but if you know of any please post them here as well.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

Me and a friend of mine just imported 2 Brazilian buses (kombi) a few weeks ago. It was a process that took awhile. We brought in a 73 and a 74. The middle section is like a 50's pressing, while the back end is 62-63. The bench seats are similar to 50's style frame. They are very basic with no interior panels. I suspect the transaxles are "limited slip" to deal with the dirt roads of South America.
Peter T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

Here is the 73

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

There is some info here on the differences between German and Brazilian Buses
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645230
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

Another thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=197440

And some info on South African Fleetlines, locally assembled Brazilian split buses:
https://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9014

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

Thanks Everette and Fig, excellent threads to keep together. I understand that many here are not fans of them but I like them and it's an affordable way to get some folks into the sport. I hope others will come out and show us their busses as I would be very interested in seeing how they are holding up and what parts fit what parts do not fit.
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
gunbab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

I have also a 1975 brazil bus.
Very nice to drive.
Whats being done:
New headlights, rear lights
New head brake cylinder from CSP
Butty bits throttle kit
New electric loom, new brakes, all new cables, =>mechanic completley new
replaced the brazil steeringhouse for a german one
replaced the brazil front axle for a german front axle
lowered withe spindles and 1.5 spline in the rear.
new wheels en tyres
New USA bumpers
Etc...

Complete new interior , front safaris, rear safaris,

deluxe trims allround,

First Original ugly paint. Maybe next year new paint after sandblasting
Body needs new nose (a dent thats for me no acceptable), and lower a pillars. thats all Smile

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

Nice gunbab, how does she handle with the German upgrades and what else would you change for handling improvements? I'll be back in Belgium next year for a wedding, my in-laws are from Belgium and many still live there. I love Belgium, so much history beautiful country and great people.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
gunbab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

She drives very very good now. My best friend has a 1967 13 window. And he also says that mine drives better for the moment. Yesterday i drove 160 km on the highway. No problems. With 1.5 hour in a traffic jam with 30 degrees.
I drive on Rgb's in the rear. Tyres front 165/55/15 and 195/60/15 in the rear. 90 km/h is very drivable. Topspeed was 115 km/h (according GPS). Faster then mine friends orginal german 13 window. Haha.
Today i continue driving on the highway..
Also for a Brazil bus i have many thumbs up drivin on the highway. ;-p
tmmybrbr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

this is a good thread, hopefully it'll help out a lot for those of us with brazilian buses!
First of all, I love my brazilian 74. I owned a german 60 kombi previously.

The biggest thing I'd say is that you need to be careful in ordering any parts. Don't assume that a part will fit, double check it! I have a headlight switch in place now that has a bolt jbweld'ed onto the assembly to make it fit behind the dash.

I had late bay wiper spindles attached to weird wiper arms that sucked with the safari windows. I bought the wiper arms, blades and safari adapters from vw isp but had to grind down the existing wiper spindle to fit the safari adapter.

I replaced the bay style mirrors with the round mirrors mounted on the door hinge, but I still have to patch up where the old style attached.

I'd like to pull off the extended drip rail, it's just riveted on. Anybody have good or bad experiences with doing that?

I'm also planning to switch out the headlight assemblies with german.

And I'm dropping 3.5" with SA conversion once the weather gets cold.

Does anybody else have the battery grounding strap attached to a handle looking thing behind the back bumper? It looks like a handle on the outside of the bus??
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

tmmybrbr wrote:
Does anybody else have the battery grounding strap attached to a handle looking thing behind the back bumper? It looks like a handle on the outside of the bus??

I'm not super familiar with Brazilian Buses but this sounds weird and I'd like to see a photo of it
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marcpires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

This is my model DeLuxe 1970. I tried to reproduce the interior following the original standard, I installed air conditioning because of the heat it does here in Brazil. Hope you like it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

I sure like it. The deluxe trim above the doors is a normal Deluxe Brazil bus thing, right?
tmmybrbr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
tmmybrbr wrote:

I'm not super familiar with Brazilian Buses but this sounds weird and I'd like to see a photo of it

the grounding strap comes off the negative terminal and attaches through the body, which also has a black knob on the outside. Maybe to provide a ground to something outside the bus? Like a roof rack or something?

tmmybrbr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
I sure like it. The deluxe trim above the doors is a normal Deluxe Brazil bus thing, right?

that is a nice bus!
But the "trim" you're talking about is just a larger drip rail, it came on all brazilian buses.
marcpires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

Are you referring to internal trim rubber or the rain gutter that sits around the entire ceiling?
If it is on the rubber it is a finish of both models, deluxe and standart

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marcpires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

This is a very original Standart model. Serves as a query.

marcpires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

tmmybrbr wrote:
EverettB wrote:
tmmybrbr wrote:

the grounding strap comes off the negative terminal and attaches through the body, which also has a black knob on the outside. Maybe to provide a ground to something outside the bus? Like a roof rack or something?

in relation to the grounding of the battery, all are made in the bodywork of the vehicle itself. I've never seen one with that external black knob.

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

tmmybrbr wrote:
BarryL wrote:

But the "trim" you're talking about is just a larger drip rail, it came on all brazilian buses.

marcpires wrote:
This is a very original Standart model. Serves as a query.

That aluminum deluxe trim on the rain gutter is what I think he was asking about.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
marcpires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Post your Brazilian Bus & knowledge here. Reply with quote

That aluminum deluxe trim in the rain gutter did not come in all the factory models, it was an accessory installed after purchase.

Last edited by marcpires on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: